• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#21 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

I would like to take the time for everyone who is freaking out to pump the breaks and understand the "pig cops" aren't the ones enacting these new laws.

Really makes me wonder when people start screaming "f*** the police" from a law they didn't decide on but now are required to enforce.

When I said that Doc, I was referring to the "fine" part of that sentence
IPB Image

#22 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

Everybody throw one! They can't fine us all!

esteef

Out Throw the Government! Yeah man! :hippie:

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 14 April 2011 - 10:13 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#23 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

Lol at all the hate on cops. Must be nice on all your pedestals. You all do know that this has ZERO to do with law enforcement and all to do with the NHL and/or Joe Louis Arena? I blame the one idiot who threw the octopus onto the ice during game play. That person should never be allowed at JLA.

Lol pig cops. You immature people crack me up.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#24 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

Apparently this is how it went down: http://deadspin.com/#!5791907/if-you-throw-an-octopus-on-the-ice-in-detroit-you-could-be-fined-500-and-ejected

#25 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

I would like to take the time for everyone who is freaking out to pump the breaks and understand the "pig cops" aren't the ones enacting these new laws.

Really makes me wonder when people start screaming "f*** the police" from a law they didn't decide on but now are required to enforce.

Lol, exactly.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#26 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

When I asked the cops they were laughing and said [Commissioner Gary] Bettman started the rule at the start of the 2nd period. Really new rules. In between periods.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#27 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

Wow Bettman... Is this a new low?

#28 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

Wow Bettman... Is this a new low?

He has hit rock bottom and has started to dig....

When I asked the cops they were laughing and said [Commissioner Gary] Bettman started the rule at the start of the 2nd period. Really new rules. In between periods.

What I don't get is the NHL now has the power to enforce a civil fine and a court date? Really?
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#29 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

I have a feeling the cops in Detroit would rather people throw the 'pi on the ice. It's tradition.

As long as it's during a break in play, not DURING the game, it should be all good. And about Al not being allowed to spin it. Apparently, his 3 seconds of spinning it is 'delay of game' when he still has to go out there and pick it up...

#30 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

I'm in disbelief right now. This has to be some kind of joke.

#31 Jedi

Jedi

I used to be a spy...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

I realize that free speech is the general rule around here, but I'm going to ask you guys to keep the police hate to a more mature level of discussion.

If you don't like the police, that's fine. If you hate cops, good for you, that's your constitutional right. But if you're going to voice your displeasure over the enforcement of this rule by the members of the Detroit Police Department, at least be courteous enough to be civil about it. That said, If you REALLY want to discuss your hatred/distrust of police, the Political Discussion subforum would be the appropriate place to do so.

Long story short, feel free to voice your displeasure, but please keep the "f*** police" comments to yourself.

burnnotice2.png
Covert Ops has its perks. You travel, make your own hours, and expense most of your meals.
The downside? Lots of people want you dead...

#32 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

Agreed, I'm no fan of many laws in this country, but the anti-cop attitudes of so many people is just ridiculous.

That being said, I can't believe the NHL would pressure (I'm assuming that's what this is) an original six team to end a fantastic tradition. Sad day. My dad was at the last game in Detroit against Chicago and he said he saw some guy getting manhandled by security and basically dragged out for throwing an octopi. I had never heard of this happening at the Joe before, so it surprised me. Was that the guy that this article is about?

Again, it's silly to get so upset over something like this, but a big chunk of enjoying a sport is enjoying unsanitized traditions. This is just as insulting as you can get relating to sports fan bases.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#33 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

There was an Octopi thrown on the ice last game after Detroit scored, I forget which goal. But that Octopi just barely sailed over the head of a Coyote and landed right in front. It's probably bad throwing like this that is causing these rules. I'm all for throwing the Octopus, but there is no need to throw it right into the crowd of players from the opposing team, that just tells me you're trying to be douchy and hit one(or more) of them.

Edited by Jasper84, 14 April 2011 - 10:57 PM.

#34 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:03 PM

What I don't get is the NHL now has the power to enforce a civil fine and a court date? Really?

Exactly. There is obviously more to this...

And even if there is some new "law" that hockey fans can no longer throw anything on the ice, what happens when a player gets a hat trick? They call in the national guard to come in and arrest hundreds of people?

#35 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

Pathetic, NHL.

I fully understand enforcing the rule if someone does it during gameplay or it lands near a player or official, but come on.

Whats next, are they going to start fining people for throwing hats on a hat trick?
Posted Image

#36 Wings_Rule_1010

Wings_Rule_1010

LGRW!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

I actually noticed something before the game on wednesday. It was posted on the video board and said a few times, that if a fan throws anything on the ice during the game(I assumed this to be octupi) that the home team will be assessed a 2 minute delay of game penalty. I had heard of this before, but never had I seen this said/posted at the joe. I wanna hear the boos the first time a penalty is called for throwing an octupi. Lame.

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010, 14 April 2011 - 11:27 PM.

Go Blue!!!

#37 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:37 AM

You guys really think this is going to stop the tradition? Not everyone reads dumb articles on the internet and unless there are announcements or giant signs stating octopus throwing is no longer allowed at the Joe (that just doesn't even feel right to type) then this will continue.

#38 Rikadyn

Rikadyn

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

anyone going to a playoff game, should carry a roll of dimes, just so if they see bettman they can punch him in the face.

#39 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:17 AM

I actually noticed something before the game on wednesday. It was posted on the video board and said a few times, that if a fan throws anything on the ice during the game(I assumed this to be octupi) that the home team will be assessed a 2 minute delay of game penalty. I had heard of this before, but never had I seen this said/posted at the joe. I wanna hear the boos the first time a penalty is called for throwing an octupi. Lame.

I would assume that also means hats after a hat trick.

The NHL is going to lose me as a fan one of these days.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#40 RedWingBlitz

RedWingBlitz

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:25 AM

"Throwing an object which would cause injury onto the playing field of an athletic contest."

dont throw it during the game, dont throw it at a player, dont throw it at bettman (though you may be tempted).