40 replies to this topic

#1 drumlife19

drumlife19

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

According to puck daddy:
http://sports.yahoo....maining-content
"When you have your skate on their throat, don't take it off... You play until the end..."

#2 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

хорошее дерьмо
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#3 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

Datsyuk also provided his explanation of his coach Mike Babcock's words when Babcock told The Detroit News:

"As soon a Pavel gets on the ice, the whole team suddenly has more space and has the puck way more."

"I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"

That's GOLD Jerry! GOLD I TELL YA!

Seriously, how lucky are we to have this guy on the Wings?

Edited by Broken 16, 15 April 2011 - 11:04 AM.

#4 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

Best. Player. In. The. League.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#5 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:12 AM

bryzgalov voted for himself.

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

#6 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

хорошее дерьмо

oh, please, don't use google translator...
this doesn't sound as cool in russian as it in english. in fact, it sounds insulting to pav and to the trophy...

#7 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

oh, please, don't use google translator...
this doesn't sound as cool in russian as it in english. in fact, it sounds insulting to pav and to the trophy...

My bad? Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#8 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

Wonder how Ovechkin feels about Semin voting for Datsyuk, haha.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#9 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:06 PM

My bad? Posted Image

:)
i think 'good staff' (if you google-translate it to russian) comes very close to what you actually meant.
'дерьмо' - has always a negative meaning in russian.

Edited by ami, 15 April 2011 - 12:07 PM.

#10 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

Wonder how Ovechkin feels about Semin voting for Datsyuk, haha.

I doubt he cares. The Russian players have always seemed very supportive of eachother.

:)
i think 'good staff' (if you google-translate it to russian) comes very close to what you actually meant.
'дерьмо' - has always a negative meaning in russian.

It translated to 'good s***' for me... which it is.

Good job Hank. :)

#11 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

Damn right! Congrats, Pavs. Cracks me up that Semin even voted for him over Ovechkin.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#12 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

My bad? Posted Image

I've seen one or two things in these threads that were maybe worse. :ph34r:

Edited by Vladifan, 15 April 2011 - 01:03 PM.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#13 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Finally. I actually think he deserved it last two years too.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#14 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

But Shane Doan told us Bryzgalov was the best player in the series? Oh, I'm so confused.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#15 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

When I co-wrote the book "What It Means to be a Red Wing" Datsyuk agreed to be in the book and wanted to be interviewed at a Starbucks near his home. When I arrive at the crowded Starbucks, Pavel is sitting by himself, talking on his cell phone. He sees me and tells me, "Art, get anything you want. I have Starbucks card!" I grab a cup of coffee and interview him for an hour or so. We're sitting there talking, I have a microphone in my hand and nobody comes near us. After the interview is concluded, Datsyuk leaves and I go up to the two high-school-age girls working behind the counter.

"Do you know who that guys was I was talking to?" I ask them.

"We know he ain't American," they tell me.

"You know the Red Wings, right?" I ask.

"Yeah, Steve Yzerman," they say.

"He plays with Steve Yzerman. His name is Pavel Datsyuk and he's one of Detroit's best players," I tell them.

"No way, that guy's not an athlete. He's way too small," the girls respond.

After I assure the girls that Datsyuk is a Red Wing and that not all professional athletes are behemoths, they get all excited. They tell me that Datsyuk is in there all the time and they can't wait to tell their friends that a real live Red Wing comes into their store. Thinking about it later, I realized that Pavel goes there because nobody knows who is. He can go there to mellow out without be approached by anybody. A tremendous feeling of guilt overcame me. I had to tell him what idiotic thing I had just done. The next day after a game, I come clean with Datsyuk. I tell him I'm really sorry for blowing his cover. Pavel looks me straight into the eye, shakes his head and says, "Art, Art, Art, I would be very angry with you if there wasn't a Starbucks on every street corner."

Stupid girls.

"We know he ain't American." <_<

Edited by Mabuhay Red Wings, 15 April 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#16 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:35 PM

Stupid girls.

"We know he ain't American." <_<

This is absolutely retarded. I understand not recognizing an athlete, I probably wouldn't recognize a Lion, Tiger, or Piston, but to completely dismiss the guy when someone says they're an athlete? Dumb girls.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#17 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:41 PM

Bryzgalov voting for himself :rolleyes:

#18 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

There was a poll last year done that had Russian fans voting Datsyuk best Russian player in the NHL by a large margin. The only people that undervalue him are North American fans not located in Michigan. All of Russia knows he's the best Russian :)
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#19 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

It translated to 'good s***' for me... which it is.

'good s***' and 'хорошее дерьмо' have quite different meanings for russian speaking people. and because the phrase was written in russian, i assumed its 'russian' meaning.

'good s***' has positive meaning, where 'хорошее дерьмо' is always negative.

anyway, intention was good, no harm's done.

Bryzgalov voting for himself :rolleyes:

his vision must be obstructed as he's always been wearing a mask when he plays hockey.

Edited by ami, 15 April 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#20 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:14 PM

'good s***' and 'хорошее дерьмо' have quite different meanings for russian speaking people. and because the phrase was written in russian, i assumed its 'russian' meaning.

'good s***' has positive meaning, where 'хорошее дерьмо' is always negative.

anyway, intention was good, no harm's done.

his vision must be obstructed as he's always been wearing a mask when he plays hockey.

Very true. It's like that in many languages as well (shocker!).
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".