• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsfan_54

Passport from canada to go watch wings game

Rate this topic

Hey there! So i'm a 24 year old die hard wings fan in Hamilton ontario, I have recently applied for my passport this past week so I can attend a wings game, but I have not received it in the mail yet. Today I seen someone putting a bus trip from hamilton ont to detroit for 70 dollars couch bus there and back and a ticket for tomorrow's game, anywayyss..my question is..without my passport being sent to me yet, do I have ANY way of getting in or any chance, or will i be stopped and denied entrance into detroit. The guy running it said he doubts theyll check everyone but from what i have read, they check every person...so is there anything I can do or any ID i can obtain within 24 hrs to get in, or am i screwed? Thanks

Edited by wingsfan_54

I live just east of Hamilton and I go to a bunch of Wings games. Normally I drive across the border but I've driven to Widsor and taken the shuttle across and I once took a coach bus from the Hamilton area. No matter which way I've done it I've needed my passport. Sorry buddy, but I would think you're screwed

I live just east of Hamilton and I go to a bunch of Wings games. Normally I drive across the border but I've driven to Widsor and taken the shuttle across and I once took a coach bus from the Hamilton area. No matter which way I've done it I've needed my passport. Sorry buddy, but I would think you're screwed

That sucks, I know there's a way you can get a passport within 24 hrs it's like 100 extra dollars or something, but not worth it...so they get everyone to get off the bus? When you go through what type of questions do they ask? my brother has a passport and he's only 2 years younger and we look identical..so im thinkin asking him if I had to so i can go..but i dunno what types personal questions they ask

I wouldn't risk the $70 no matter what. Just wait until you get that passport, man.

thanks for your advice, I just figure it's a great deal for a bus there back and a ticket :(

Do not mess with border officials. Seriously. I used to live in Canada, but I haven't gone back there in years. They have a big job to do, and they take it quite seriously on both sides of the border. It's not just a bit of ganja nowadays, there are bigger issues at stake.

The world we live in is going to Hell in a handbasket and they're just doing their job.

When they check passports of people on buses they don't really ask anything since they're checking so many people. They'll talk to the person who organized the trip. If the bus trip si goign to spend extra time across the border (more than just the game) they may ask random people some questions. At most they usually ask what you do for a living, where you live, how you got on the bus trip etc.

Using your brothers ID is a pretty big risk, no matter how much you look like him. Rarely do they ask for a supplemental piece of ID but it does happen if they think the picture is outdated. If you get busted trying to go into the States with fake ID you will absolutely be detained for an indetermined amount of time.

To me, if you want to go to a game so badly that you're thinking of using your brother's passport you should just pay the $100 bucks for the 24 hour passport.

Do not mess with border officials. Seriously. I used to live in Canada, but I haven't gone back there in years. They have a big job to do, and they take it quite seriously on both sides of the border. It's not just a bit of ganja nowadays, there are bigger issues at stake.

The world we live in is going to Hell in a handbasket and they're just doing their job.

She's not kidding.

Honestly, border crossings are way more serious going into the states. I just crossed into Detroit a couple of weeks ago while I was heading to Chicago and got randomly searched. I was detained and essentially interrogated. It's not so easy to get from Canada into the States any more.

However, as a Canadian coming back into Canada is absolutely still a joke.

When they check passports of people on buses they don't really ask anything since they're checking so many people. They'll talk to the person who organized the trip. If the bus trip si goign to spend extra time across the border (more than just the game) they may ask random people some questions. At most they usually ask what you do for a living, where you live, how you got on the bus trip etc.

Using your brothers ID is a pretty big risk, no matter how much you look like him. Rarely do they ask for a supplemental piece of ID but it does happen if they think the picture is outdated. If you get busted trying to go into the States with fake ID you will absolutely be detained for an indetermined amount of time.

To me, if you want to go to a game so badly that you're thinking of using your brother's passport you should just pay the $100 bucks for the 24 hour passport.

That's true...I appreciate everyone's advice greatly..I'll probably do that pay the extra or wait until round 2, cuz im confident we'll get past phoenix, just this was an awesome deal..and what did u mean supplemental piece of ID?...anyways thanks again guys...the guy in charge of the trip emailed me now saying i should be fine with only drivers lisence birth cert SIN etc, and said ill get through, but if I went and i cant who would get in s*** me or him for saying I can?...he seems sure about it but im more leary regarding it

That sucks, I know there's a way you can get a passport within 24 hrs it's like 100 extra dollars or something, but not worth it...so they get everyone to get off the bus? When you go through what type of questions do they ask? my brother has a passport and he's only 2 years younger and we look identical..so im thinkin asking him if I had to so i can go..but i dunno what types personal questions they ask

thanks for your advice, I just figure it's a great deal for a bus there back and a ticket :(

Do not use someone else's passport! I have no idea what would happen to you if you were to be caught. I am just guessing that you would not be heard from for a very long time. You would be better to show up with none then a fake one. I live in Manitoba and my house is 8 miles away from the border we go across alot and they ALWAYS ask for your ID. Best to wait my friend.

Do not use someone else's passport! I have no idea what would happen to you if you were to be caught. I am just guessing that you would not be heard from for a very long time. You would be better to show up with none then a fake one. I live in Manitoba and my house is 8 miles away from the border we go across alot and they ALWAYS ask for your ID. Best to wait my friend.

Seems like that was stupid of me to be thinking....alright thanks guys! Quesion..what happens if u show up with NO passport, and u tell them that u paid and the guy in charge of the whole trip said id be fine with drivers licence etc, who would get in trouble me or him? Would they not allow both of us through or??...Cuz the guy keeps saying ill be fine, so i asked him if hes willing to take the brunt of it if they interogate us about why i have no passport, which case i cant see them letting me through with none

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Either pay for the rush service or wait, unless you want to watch the game and subsequent games from a jail cell.

It doesn't matter what the guy organizing the trip tells you, the border officials won't care. It'll be you who tried to cross the border without the passport and not him. The driver's licence, health card, SIN rule vanished I believe last year and now everyone must have a valid passport to enter the United States. Go to a bar with your buddies for now...there will always be opportunities to catch games when you can do it properly! (By the way, first time poster).

Alright I won't tkae his ID and I wont go without my passport, I appreciate everyones replies. I;ll watch it form home (even though everyone here are leaf and hab fans) and i'll attend a round 2 game once I receive it in the mail...thanks again and go wings go! God bless.

It doesn't matter what the guy organizing the trip tells you, the border officials won't care. It'll be you who tried to cross the border without the passport and not him. The driver's licence, health card, SIN rule vanished I believe last year and now everyone must have a valid passport to enter the United States. Go to a bar with your buddies for now...there will always be opportunities to catch games when you can do it properly! (By the way, first time poster).

welcome to the boards, and thanks for the great advice

Just don't risk it. I know it's a big deal to want to go to a game. I wanted to go to Saturday to scratch something off my Michigan bucket list by tossing an octopus on the ice, but once I saw that someone got arrested for it, I decided against it. This would be child's play in terms of police if I got caught throwing an octopus in relation to what you'd have to go through getting caught at the border.

Just don't risk it. I know it's a big deal to want to go to a game. I wanted to go to Saturday to scratch something off my Michigan bucket list by tossing an octopus on the ice, but once I saw that someone got arrested for it, I decided against it. This would be child's play in terms of police if I got caught throwing an octopus in relation to what you'd have to go through getting caught at the border.

very true...i was jsut thinking quickly how me my brother are identical and close etc, but more i think of it it would be stupid. so i will take eveyrones advice and wait until round 2 once my passport comes in..thanks again guys go wings go!!!!

On a side note...anyone know the status update on Z???

You can use an enhanced driver's license to get into the States if you're traveling by land. I have no idea how long it takes to get, but I think it's supposed to be an easier and quicker option than a passport.

Seems like that was stupid of me to be thinking....alright thanks guys! Quesion..what happens if u show up with NO passport, and u tell them that u paid and the guy in charge of the whole trip said id be fine with drivers licence etc, who would get in trouble me or him? Would they not allow both of us through or??...Cuz the guy keeps saying ill be fine, so i asked him if hes willing to take the brunt of it if they interogate us about why i have no passport, which case i cant see them letting me through with none

Just wait, man, seriously. If you're the one without the passport, you're the one who's going to get in trouble. I don't think the border patrol agent is going to care who told you what - it's all on you to have the proper identification. It doesn't really matter if he's willing to take the brunt of it; just because he's willing to talk to the BP doesn't mean they want to talk to him. They're gonna want to hear from the guy who doesn't have his passport, not the guy who just drives the bus. Sorry to be blunt, but I just don't want you to waste $70 on a bus ride to nowhere, and then have to pay another $70+ again on top of that when you do get your passport and want to come down.

Edit: Sorry, I'm a little late here - good choice. Round 2 will be more fun anyway. Also, hockey23 is right - if you have an enhanced driver's license, you don't need a passport (found it here: http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/index.html it's legit; I was re-directed there from Homeland Security's site). Like he/she said, though, I have no idea how long it takes to get one.

Edited by MulesWillFly93

Hey! Welcome to the boards. I am a fellow Canadian who travels across the borders at least once a month

The last two games I have attended ( Vancouver in december and the Kings last month) the border people have given me a hard time, asking for 2 pieces of ID, where I am going, to see my tickets, how muuch money I have ect) Just to be on the side side, wait for round 2 but DO NOT take your brothers ID. Thats identify theft and US Customs will put you in jail. Good Luck!!

Go WINGS!

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Just show up in a Wings jersey with a notarized document declaring that you are not a terrorist. How could that not work?

Hey! Welcome to the boards. I am a fellow Canadian who travels across the borders at least once a month

The last two games I have attended ( Vancouver in december and the Kings last month) the border people have given me a hard time, asking for 2 pieces of ID, where I am going, to see my tickets, how muuch money I have ect) Just to be on the side side, wait for round 2 but DO NOT take your brothers ID. Thats identify theft and US Customs will put you in jail. Good Luck!!

Go WINGS!

border control sounds really strict even for a hockey game..interesting...oh well yeah I dont wanna end in jail so ill wait lol, thanks and go wings

Just wait, man, seriously. If you're the one without the passport, you're the one who's going to get in trouble. I don't think the border patrol agent is going to care who told you what - it's all on you to have the proper identification. It doesn't really matter if he's willing to take the brunt of it; just because he's willing to talk to the BP doesn't mean they want to talk to him. They're gonna want to hear from the guy who doesn't have his passport, not the guy who just drives the bus. Sorry to be blunt, but I just don't want you to waste $70 on a bus ride to nowhere, and then have to pay another $70+ again on top of that when you do get your passport and want to come down.

Edit: Sorry, I'm a little late here - good choice. Round 2 will be more fun anyway. Also, hockey23 is right - if you have an enhanced driver's license, you don't need a passport (found it here: http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/index.html it's legit; I was re-directed there from Homeland Security's site). Like he/she said, though, I have no idea how long it takes to get one.

it's all good..yeah i think thats what the driver meant the enhanced driver's license, but it takes up to a month, so the passport is quicker for sure..oh well..wacha donna do..thanks for looking out, I def don't want to waste the money and then end up behind bars...i guess sitting at home in leaf nation watchnig a wings game isnt so so bad..right?

lol u actually thought u'd be able to cross the border without the proper documents o.0

nah i didnt but meh i dunno lol, i haven't crossed it in years..the retard running the bus emailed me jsut now again, saying bring the $ and we'll try it, but i asid to him there's ZERO chance theyll let someone in with NO passport, he insists they will if i have all my ID etc saying it's a buss full of 50+ ppl lol, ahhh

Hey there! So i'm a 24 year old die hard wings fan in Hamilton ontario, I have recently applied for my passport this past week so I can attend a wings game, but I have not received it in the mail yet. Today I seen someone putting a bus trip from hamilton ont to detroit for 70 dollars couch bus there and back and a ticket for tomorrow's game, anywayyss..my question is..without my passport being sent to me yet, do I have ANY way of getting in or any chance, or will i be stopped and denied entrance into detroit. The guy running it said he doubts theyll check everyone but from what i have read, they check every person...so is there anything I can do or any ID i can obtain within 24 hrs to get in, or am i screwed? Thanks

You might be able to get away with your driver lic and your Birth Certificate.

You might be able to get away with your driver lic and your Birth Certificate.

that's what the guy in charge and bus driver keeps saying, but i dont think if i get there and say well so and so said so, that they'll give me an exception..he says they will cuz of 50 other ppl on bus etc, but everyone on the site says there's NO way this will happen, but u and the driver say yes..man this sucks

that's what the guy in charge and bus driver keeps saying, but i dont think if i get there and say well so and so said so, that they'll give me an exception..he says they will cuz of 50 other ppl on bus etc, but everyone on the site says there's NO way this will happen, but u and the driver say yes..man this sucks

I'm from Canada myself too. I was just in the States not long ago and one of my buddies didn't have his passport and he brought those documents I suggested to you and we all got into the States with no problems at all.. If you want PM me and we can talk