• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsfan_54

Passport from canada to go watch wings game

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

Er, no, do NOT try and cross the border without documents. If the Canadian border patrol does not see a passport, they will not allow you in, whether it be by air, car, boat, bus, bike, levitation, whatever. If you are a US citizen it does not require per se a passport to enter Canada but it does require your passport to re-enter the US. It is presumed that if you don't have your passport to return to the US then you are stuck in Canada so they will not allow you in. f*** that idiot bus driver. He doesn't care because it's not his risk. If you get denied at any point of entry in Canada, that is on record and can affect your ability to get into Canada in the future.

For someone who has more pertinent travel the fastest method is to go to the nearest US passport agency and file for an expedite there at the agency itself, which usually requires an appointment although I wouldn't entirely rule out walk-ins. You must have an original birth certificate, your identification, and proof of impending travel, preferably within a week or two, and they will, in most cases, get it done within a few days.

If you file for a regular passport through your county or mailing it in to the federal government, it will take 3-8 weeks, most cases I hear take closer to 8. You can do an expedite via the same method but will take 2-4 weeks. Mine took 15 days when I filed for expedite through the same county of my birth, but it cost over $200.

Depending on the type of travel you plan on doing also depends on the type of passport you require. Ground travel only = passport card. Ground, air, sea = passport book. Book obviously is more expensive. Another route you can take after this is to apply for a Nexus card for constant travel between both countries with minimal bother by the border guards.

Edit: Ah for f***s sake.. didn't realize you're from Canada. Just get your Canadian passport. The US requires one anyways.

Edited by Shoreline

Is there any way to get documentation saying you have applied kind of thing? Sort of like when you get your G license they give you paperwork saying youre licensed as a G and it is in the mail.

If that is possible with like a drivers license and health card I'm sure they would let you across.

I've had my passport for years though and they definitely will ask for, at the tunnel they basically just look at it and let you go through after I take the tunnel bus over. Using your brothers passport is risky but wings games in the playoffs are pretty awesome ;) haha but seriously if you wanna go that way youll need a health card and drivers license and dont take any of your id.

Still very risky but on a bus they arent all that strict..

wings_54 who is guiding this such tour to Detroit I too am from Hamilton and have been to a bunch of wings games myself but i took my own car to Windsor and took the tunnel bus in. a bus from Hamilton to Detroit would be a lot better better on gas and wear and tear on the car since i go quite often. let me know thanks and ya don't go over without that passport every time i have gone they have always asked for it

Alright I won't tkae his ID and I wont go without my passport, I appreciate everyones replies. I;ll watch it form home (even though everyone here are leaf and hab fans) and i'll attend a round 2 game once I receive it in the mail...thanks again and go wings go! God bless.

welcome to the boards, and thanks for the great advice

Christ on a pogo stick. While you wait on your passport you have the opportunity to taunt and berate Leaf fans, what a great consolation(as long as no one brings up 1967 <_<).

Do not mess with border officials. Seriously. I used to live in Canada, but I haven't gone back there in years. They have a big job to do, and they take it quite seriously on both sides of the border. It's not just a bit of ganja nowadays, there are bigger issues at stake.

The world we live in is going to Hell in a handbasket and they're just doing their job.

The world is no more dangerous now, than it always has been really. Same as it ever was.

The job of the media and government though, is to scare the people and convince them that it is much more dangerous now, and every new day is even much more dangerous than the last, so that they can pass all types of fun new restrictions without much objection from the people...

That said, I agree the border officials are no joke these days, so best to have everything you need in order before you get there. Thats why I haven't been to Canada in years. Just too much hassle these days. It used to be you just hopped in your car and went... no ridiculous waits, no searches, no passports required.

Edited by sleepwalker

Guest Shoreline

The world is no more dangerous now, than it always has been really. Same as it ever was.

The job of the media and government though, is to scare the people and convince them that it is much more dangerous now, and every new day is even much more dangerous than the last, so that they can pass all types of fun new restrictions without much objection from the people...

That said, I agree the border officials are no joke these days, so best to have everything you need in order before you get there. Thats why I haven't been to Canada in years. Just too much hassle these days. It used to be you just hopped in your car and went... no ridiculous waits, no searches, no passports required.

Erm, not that I disagree with your philosophy (I personally think the passport issue, which was started by/enforced by the US, is retarded) but provided you have a passport back to the US, you have no issue hopping in your car and taking off here. Last time took us not even a half minute for my wife and I once we stopped and rolled down the window to talk to the officer. While the US side (which relates more to the OP) can be tougher, wife has not had issues after quite a number of entries.

Edited by Shoreline

Crossing the boarder without a passport or with someone else's passport is not a smart move Mike Babcock would not be impressed.

Can't you just find a sports bar till the next round?

Oh and if you do make it over don't forget you have to make it back too.

Guest Crymson

There is NO way you should go, just wait for your passport. Are you crazy? Your going to get raped at the border and flagged for Life!!!

Are the border control officials really getting this bad with people who try to cross without passports? I know that it wastes their time, but yeeesh...

Er, no, do NOT try and cross the border without documents. If the Canadian border patrol does not see a passport, they will not allow you in, whether it be by air, car, boat, bus, bike, levitation, whatever. If you are a US citizen it does not require per se a passport to enter Canada but it does require your passport to re-enter the US. It is presumed that if you don't have your passport to return to the US then you are stuck in Canada so they will not allow you in. f*** that idiot bus driver. He doesn't care because it's not his risk. If you get denied at any point of entry in Canada, that is on record and can affect your ability to get into Canada in the future.

For someone who has more pertinent travel the fastest method is to go to the nearest US passport agency and file for an expedite there at the agency itself, which usually requires an appointment although I wouldn't entirely rule out walk-ins. You must have an original birth certificate, your identification, and proof of impending travel, preferably within a week or two, and they will, in most cases, get it done within a few days.

If you file for a regular passport through your county or mailing it in to the federal government, it will take 3-8 weeks, most cases I hear take closer to 8. You can do an expedite via the same method but will take 2-4 weeks. Mine took 15 days when I filed for expedite through the same county of my birth, but it cost over $200.

Depending on the type of travel you plan on doing also depends on the type of passport you require. Ground travel only = passport card. Ground, air, sea = passport book. Book obviously is more expensive. Another route you can take after this is to apply for a Nexus card for constant travel between both countries with minimal bother by the border guards.

Edit: Ah for f***s sake.. didn't realize you're from Canada. Just get your Canadian passport. The US requires one anyways.

thanks for the advice, i appreciate it..yeah im near toronto..in hamilton..so a 3 hr drive to detroit..i understand the driver or organizer is prolly stupid, just id love to go cuz u cant find a better deal then that, but what are the chances i get in with health card drivers license birth cert and sin?...even if i say he said so i dun think that will matter..and if i do get in, will the canadian officers let me back in from detroit?? this sucks lol

wings_54 who is guiding this such tour to Detroit I too am from Hamilton and have been to a bunch of wings games myself but i took my own car to Windsor and took the tunnel bus in. a bus from Hamilton to Detroit would be a lot better better on gas and wear and tear on the car since i go quite often. let me know thanks and ya don't go over without that passport every time i have gone they have always asked for it

You're a wings fan in Hamilton to eh! Awesome, not many ppl my age are wing fans so it's nice to find one lol..well it was on kijiji...70 bucks for ticket and bus from kelseys on the mnt by the movies on paramount..leaves at 7am tomorrow morning..thats why i wanted to go so close!!!!....so u go lots eh? whats percentage id get over and back in to canada with just sin health drivers and birth cert? if u want the info for tm i can send it

Christ on a pogo stick. While you wait on your passport you have the opportunity to taunt and berate Leaf fans, what a great consolation(as long as no one brings up 1967 <_<).

lmao i cant stand leaf fans tho, man i wish i lived closer to det :(

Crossing the boarder without a passport or with someone else's passport is not a smart move Mike Babcock would not be impressed.

Can't you just find a sports bar till the next round?

Oh and if you do make it over don't forget you have to make it back too.

as bad as i wanna go ill prob need to do that so im not stranded at the border or in the states until i get it...dun wanna b stuck in the usa..dun think gf would be to thrilled lol

Guest CaliWingsNut

Are the border control officials really getting this bad with people who try to cross without passports? I know that it wastes their time, but yeeesh...

10,000+ trucks per day, 4000+ autos per day

Evenly distributed that would mean 417 trucks and 167 cars per hour. Or 6.94 trucks and 2.77 cars per minute.

side note: these are unverified numbers I got from wikipedia, however even if they are off you can see how seconds count.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

thanks for the advice, i appreciate it..yeah im near toronto..in hamilton..so a 3 hr drive to detroit..i understand the driver or organizer is prolly stupid, just id love to go cuz u cant find a better deal then that, but what are the chances i get in with health card drivers license birth cert and sin?...even if i say he said so i dun think that will matter..and if i do get in, will the canadian officers let me back in from detroit?? this sucks lol

You're a wings fan in Hamilton to eh! Awesome, not many ppl my age are wing fans so it's nice to find one lol..well it was on kijiji...70 bucks for ticket and bus from kelseys on the mnt by the movies on paramount..leaves at 7am tomorrow morning..thats why i wanted to go so close!!!!....so u go lots eh? whats percentage id get over and back in to canada with just sin health drivers and birth cert? if u want the info for tm i can send it

lmao i cant stand leaf fans tho, man i wish i lived closer to det :(

as bad as i wanna go ill prob need to do that so im not stranded at the border or in the states until i get it...dun wanna b stuck in the usa..dun think gf would be to thrilled lol

getting in with just birth certificate and sin and health card is about near zero percent just wait it out till your passport comes mine took less than a week and i didn't even get it rushed delivery it all depends how busy the passport office is and time of the year. and I'm down the road from kelseys on paramount and that's a good deal from Hamilton to Detroit and believe me there is quite a bit of red wing fans in the hammer at least were not maple loser fans they have a Stanley cup parade route made out every time they win 2 games in a row LOL

getting in with just birth certificate and sin and health card is about near zero percent just wait it out till your passport comes mine took less than a week and i didn't even get it rushed delivery it all depends how busy the passport office is and time of the year. and I'm down the road from kelseys on paramount and that's a good deal from Hamilton to Detroit and believe me there is quite a bit of red wing fans in the hammer at least were not maple loser fans they have a Stanley cup parade route made out every time they win 2 games in a row LOL

lmao that is so true...i can't stand leaf fans!....yeah it's an awesome deal..oh s*** ur close to where i am im on the mnt to off stonechruch lol...there are lots of red wing fans, but i find many are older then myself..but there are cpl friends mine wing fans but mstly habs leafs...alright well thanks for everything..u can see why i was so anxious to at least try it with the deal involved

just curious...if something like that happened...a bus load of ppl went and 1 person had no passport..what happens they detain the 1 and everyone else goes through? and then when games back that 1 person will be allowed 2 b sent back home? or will they interegate u forever and then maybe let u through eventualy

Guest Crymson

10,000+ trucks per day, 4000+ autos per day

Evenly distributed that would mean 417 trucks and 167 cars per hour. Or 6.94 trucks and 2.77 cars per minute.

side note: these are unverified numbers I got from wikipedia, however even if they are off you can see how seconds count.

I was being facetious. Note the bolded text.

Edit: Yes, I know it was a bad joke.

Edited by Crymson

lmao that is so true...i can't stand leaf fans!....yeah it's an awesome deal..oh s*** ur close to where i am im on the mnt to off stonechruch lol...there are lots of red wing fans, but i find many are older then myself..but there are cpl friends mine wing fans but mstly habs leafs...alright well thanks for everything..u can see why i was so anxious to at least try it with the deal involved

just curious...if something like that happened...a bus load of ppl went and 1 person had no passport..what happens they detain the 1 and everyone else goes through? and then when games back that 1 person will be allowed 2 b sent back home? or will they interegate u forever and then maybe let u through eventualy

Im off stonechurch as well from gage i believe the whole bus would go through minus you. when i went the first time i had my wings jersey on told them i was going to the game had my passport they gave me the third degree they even wanted to see my tickets. they are really serious at the border better to go in with all the proper documents they have a job to do and its a serious one at that don't waste their time by not knowing any better

Edited by spongebob is a wings fan

Im off stonechurch as well from gage i believe the whole bus would go through minus you. when i went the first time i had my wings jersey on told them i was going to the game had my passport they gave me the third degree they even wanted to see my tickets. they are really serious at the border better to go in with all the proper documents they have a job to do and its a serious one at that don't waste their time by not knowing any better

oh wow very close to me lol im upper ottawa...but okay thanks i'll go 2nd round once my passport is in, though kinda ridiculous they hassle u that much when u had all ur documentations

Honestly, border crossings are way more serious going into the states. I just crossed into Detroit a couple of weeks ago while I was heading to Chicago and got randomly searched. I was detained and essentially interrogated. It's not so easy to get from Canada into the States any more.

However, as a Canadian coming back into Canada is absolutely still a joke.

Totally agree with this one. Had the same kinda experience when taking the shuttle from Windsor to see the game. I'm glad we already went to Detroit the day before because all the stuff we needed to do there took like 2 hours or something. Of course we're not North American so I kinda understand it, but still all these questions like "Where you involved with Nazi Germany in the years 1939-1944?" were kinda funny.

And yes going back to Canada was pretty much a joke. First of all, all the officers there were women - dunno why was that. Just showed them my passport, they hardly even looked at it and let me through.

Another funny example was at the US border again, when we were leaving Windsor and crossing the bridge over Detroit river with a car. The guy at the booth asked if we had ANYTHING bought from Canada with us. Of course we did, kinda weird question. So, my godfather kinda mumbled something and then said something like "yeah, we have some mandarins back there" - which we had, but also a lot more of stuff. Then the guy at the booth was like "SIR, you cannot have those mandarins there. Please show me where they are." Then he took them and throwed them in to the thrash can. :D

That was probably one of the funniest moment on our trip. Later, when I think about it, I think it was part of his job to ask that question and kinda expect that everyone says "no" so he can just use the usual "move along" phrase. Maybe it's some weird law, but he definitely was like "why did you have to say you have those mandarins there?".

The image of American officers and guards is very similiar to the one I've gotten watching all those South Park episodes.

"Hey, what do you have in that back, sir?"

"Umm... nothing."

"Move along, then."

Edited by Finnish Wing

Totally agree with this one. Had the same kinda experience when taking the shuttle from Windsor to see the game. I'm glad we already went to Detroit the day before because all the stuff we needed to do there took like 2 hours or something. Of course we're not North American so I kinda understand it, but still all these questions like "Where you involved with Nazi Germany in the years 1939-1944?" were kinda funny.

And yes going back to Canada was pretty much a joke. First of all, all the officers there were women - dunno why was that. Just showed them my passport, they hardly even looked at it and let me through.

Another funny example was at the US border again, when we were leaving Windsor and crossing the bridge over Detroit river with a car. The guy at the booth asked if we had ANYTHING bought from Canada with us. Of course we did, kinda weird question. So, my godfather kinda mumbled something and then said something like "yeah, we have some mandarins back there" - which we had, but also a lot more of stuff. Then the guy at the booth was like "SIR, you cannot have those mandarins there. Please show me where they are." Then he took them and throwed them in to the thrash can. :D

That was probably one of the funniest moment on our trip. Later, when I think about it, I think it was part of his job to ask that question and kinda expect that everyone says "no" so he can just use the usual "move along" phrase. Maybe it's some weird law, but he definitely was like "why did you have to say you have those mandarins there?".

The image of American officers and guards is very similiar to the one I've gotten watching all those South Park episodes.

"Hey, what do you have in that back, sir?"

"Umm... nothing."

"Move along, then."

haha yeah they are like the south park episodes that's funny lol, they are wayyy more strict it seams like then the Canadian ones, though they're also the ones who are way more at risk for terrorists etc then we are i believe so i dont blame them

I understand why they ask about food - they don't want any potential plant diseases coming in if they don't have to - but Nazi Germany? Really?!?! What, did someone invent the time machine and not tell us? God, tax dollars at work...

Hehe, try coming in through the Mexican border sometime...then you'll have some REAL fun. You can whiz right into Mexico, but be prepared for at least an hour wait coming back here at San Ysidro and Otay. God help you if you go at rush hour on a weekday. I hope I never get stopped at secondary inspection...they're not exactly polite when they just look at your passport, so I'm guessing the service gets even better after that.