• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

A call to fans

Rate this topic

I am not starting another thread about the fine and possible jail time for a fan who participated in Octopus throwing.

I am starting a thread for anyone who actually wants to start protesting the NHL's many aggressive faults. Bad calls and attacks on Detroit tradition chief amongst them.

I want to call on people with more modern skills than I have.

We need websites, Facebook campaigns, mail in campaigns, call in campaigns, twitter, real Egyptian type protests.

I call upon everyone to pitch in however possible, and as much as possible.

National Hockey League

1185 Avenue of the Americas, 12th Fl.

New York, NY 10020

NY Tel. 212-789-2000

Fax 212-789-2020

If you call you can use the dial in extensions, I think I might try one by one to find extensions of people. For example 4268 does not belong to anyone...

I will buy the person who finds Bettmans number a beer!

This is what I could find so far, and I know VP of Media Relations Frank Brown weighed against the fan. I am trying to find his number.

I have to run now, and I will try to keep on it. Please don't shoot this down, participate or don't but I think the more we do these things the more likely they are to back off.

I'm all for helping... I don't have the time to be calling into the NHL offices but I think I could definitely call into NHL Live and stuff and get the word out there more... I think fans of all teams would find this to be a disgrace. This is a 59 year old tradition and some guy that has been in the league all of what 5 years is deciding that he can try to ruin that tradition for what cause.

I was also thinking some one mentioned about everybody in the entire arena throwing octopus on the ice at once, yes thats a little over board but the same concept could be used. I think if you got a handful of people try to get the upwards of 30-40 people all to throw Octopus at the same time at the same game. That would be quite a site and as dumb as it sounds might make a little bit of a statement saying that we are going to go against whatever he tries to pull. I think even attaching a note to one of the legs basically telling Bettman to F Off would be a nice touch. I obviously think this needs to be done at the end of the game or a late goal or some time where 30-40 octopi wont be too long of a delay to the game. I love the tradition as long as it's done in the confines of the rules. Really no matter when it happened I don't think it could cause any more of a delay the the Rats during the Panthers games in what 94,95 or 96?

This is getting a little absurd, the reasoning behind his complaints are starting to get old and quite frankly are garbage.

crash

the problem w/ that is the fact that some s*** will REALLY go down if hundreds of octopi hit the ice tomorrow (or the next game, or the game after that, etc). It will cause a lot of disruptions and it wont be good.

Just keep doing a few per game like happens now. If you go overboard, then the ramifications will only be greater.

Edited by nate94gt

the problem w/ that is the fact that some s*** will REALLY go down if hundreds of octopi hit the ice tomorrow (or the next game, or the game after that, etc). It will cause a lot of disruptions and it wont be good.

Just keep doing a few per game like happens now. If you go overboard, then the ramifications will only be greater.

But one time where 30 or whatever fly over the boards would be epic. It would be a huge FU to the league and Bettman and if it got me kicked out then whatever. I love this team enough that in 10 years if the tradition still exists because of something like that, then who cares? Just once would be a good protest and then the rest of the time only throw 2 or 3 like usual. Besides, it's their fault! Leave our traditions alone and you won't get a boat load of cephalopod in your face.

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing

First, it was the plastic rats that Panther fans threw onto the ice back in the mid 90s.

Now, it is because a Canuck fan (I believe that is the fan's team) that threw the fish onto the ice.

Why must they screw with time honored tradition as this??

I'm all for helping... I don't have the time to be calling into the NHL offices but I think I could definitely call into NHL Live and stuff and get the word out there more... I think fans of all teams would find this to be a disgrace. This is a 59 year old tradition and some guy that has been in the league all of what 5 years is deciding that he can try to ruin that tradition for what cause.

I was also thinking some one mentioned about everybody in the entire arena throwing octopus on the ice at once, yes thats a little over board but the same concept could be used. I think if you got a handful of people try to get the upwards of 30-40 people all to throw Octopus at the same time at the same game. That would be quite a site and as dumb as it sounds might make a little bit of a statement saying that we are going to go against whatever he tries to pull. I think even attaching a note to one of the legs basically telling Bettman to F Off would be a nice touch. I obviously think this needs to be done at the end of the game or a late goal or some time where 30-40 octopi wont be too long of a delay to the game. I love the tradition as long as it's done in the confines of the rules. Really no matter when it happened I don't think it could cause any more of a delay the the Rats during the Panthers games in what 94,95 or 96?

This is getting a little absurd, the reasoning behind his complaints are starting to get old and quite frankly are garbage.

crash

I love the idea of giving Bettman the finger, but 30,40-100 octopi would destroy the ice.

I agree tho with the OP we need to do something, this is a disgusting rule. The past two playoff seasons the league has been pushing the 'history will be made' campaigns using a lot of history/ tradition in them. What is more of a playoffs tradition than Detroit fans throwing pi's?

******* disgrace

I'll give the phone number a try and see how that works out. Something must be done! ><;

Umm...finding Gary Bettman's Voicemail box was super easy...you just have to spell the name out on the phone line. I just left a voicemail for him. :)

So if you call that NY number, and then press 1, and then type 2388626, the recording will say "Press 1 for Gary Bettman" and then you press 1 and voila! :) Sorry for spam posts, but I figured this out just now. ;p

I don't want to break up a good ol' Bettman hatin', but he's the NHL commissioner. Perhaps I missed a memo but I don't believe that gives him any authority over of the justice system in Detroit. I really doubt he even has the authority to tell JLA security to eject people.

The only thing Bettman can do is tell the refs to enforce the bench minor for objects thrown on the ice.

If this whole 'crusade against Octopus tossing' is even true, which I doubt, the city of Detroit and/or JLA management is the perpetrator.

More likely is that it isn't true at all, or at worst the guy got a ticket for being a drunken ****** and is now trying to raise a big stink to cover his own idiocy.

I am totally on board with this. However, I'd like to propose taking advantage of social media to get a petition going. The website http://www.thepetitionsite.com (and others) allows one to create a petition and post it for people to sign. We can start a facebook page supporting the idea and refer everyone to the petition. There are several other teams fans (as we all know) who are trying to start traditions, who I suspect would be willing to put aside their differences with the Wings and sign to protect these traditions. As long as we are not throwing objects at players or during play, this should not be outlawed, and it certainly shouldn't be a crime.

I'd like to get some verbiage for the petition posted here that everyone can agree on - something not team oriented for maximal impact, then I'll be glad to get the facebook page and the petition started. If we could get enough to be picked up by local broadcasts, ESPN, yahoo sports and such, maybe we can get enough attention by the league on the idea to get them to back off. If players were to sign too, I think it'd add to the impact. We need to start somewhere. It is a lot easier to sign a petition than to call the NHL and try to talk to someone relevant.

I love the idea of giving Bettman the finger, but 30,40-100 octopi would destroy the ice.

I agree tho with the OP we need to do something, this is a disgusting rule. The past two playoff seasons the league has been pushing the 'history will be made' campaigns using a lot of history/ tradition in them. What is more of a playoffs tradition than Detroit fans throwing pi's?

******* disgrace

Your right all that PI would mess up the ice may be sell cheap plastic octopi just like the rats they threw in Florida and have the fans toss them instead imagine thousands of those on the ice but i still like the real PI on the ice one or two are cool in between the action not during

The best protest would be to throw as many octopi out on the ice as possible. Show them we aren't scared. Honestly, I'm now convinced that Buttman has it out not just for the Wings, but for Midwest teams, and Canadian teams, in general. He hates, hates the fact that the Red Wings are so successful. He would much rather see the sun belt teams successful and have a national following, because he thinks that's where the money is. Instead of catering to the established hockey fanbase, he'd rather alienate us while trying to convince people who would rather watch basketball or go to the beach to come to a hockey game instead.

Suck it Bettman. Suck it hard, and suck it long.

Long live the octopus :octo:

arrange a throwing time right at the end of the period and then the ice will get resurfaced. No harm and it would be epic win. Especially if everyone would do it at once and get like over 100 out there. Lets see them catch all of us. HA HAHAH AHAHAHAHAHA HA

Guest CaliWingsNut

Bettman does a weekly call-in show on Sirius/XM. I'm sure his callers are screened, but it's an idea.