• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

A call to fans

Rate this topic

It would be awesome if someone in the Detroit area could manufacture 20,000 plastic Octopus that would be given out just off the property of Joe Louis arena and after Dats dangles and snipes top cheese 3:14 seconds into the 1st period they all get thrown on the ice.

Yea when I mentioned and 30-40 octopi I said you would have to pick a preset good time. I was thinking at the end of the game but I don't think it would have the same impact... You would have to decide on a time that wouldn't hurt the sanctity of the game...

It would be awesome if someone in the Detroit area could manufacture 20,000 plastic Octopus that would be given out just off the property of Joe Louis arena and after Dats dangles and snipes top cheese 3:14 seconds into the 1st period they all get thrown on the ice.

I was thinking something like this, maybe plush toys that are given out on the door, that way they can all be thrown (and if a player complains about almost being hit by a soft toy, well... no need to say how fans will take his woosy-ness). What's more they can all be collected again and maybe sold off, say if players signed them for charity?

AH SCREW IT! I'm writing a letter to whoever necessary at the Red Wings organisation! Would probably be difficult to get hold of top management wont it?

Either that or get Mike Ilitch to run down to the glass and throw one himself. Then lets see security throw him out. No chance in hell.

pretend like you wanna say something nice....

That show sure would have a lot of dead air...

Either that or get Mike Ilitch to run down to the glass and throw one himself. Then lets see security throw him out. No chance in hell.

This is overflowing with win.

I don't want to break up a good ol' Bettman hatin', but he's the NHL commissioner. Perhaps I missed a memo but I don't believe that gives him any authority over of the justice system in Detroit. I really doubt he even has the authority to tell JLA security to eject people.

The only thing Bettman can do is tell the refs to enforce the bench minor for objects thrown on the ice.

If this whole 'crusade against Octopus tossing' is even true, which I doubt, the city of Detroit and/or JLA management is the perpetrator.

More likely is that it isn't true at all, or at worst the guy got a ticket for being a drunken ****** and is now trying to raise a big stink to cover his own idiocy.

This is probably the truest thing spoken all week, but the subject of Gary Bettman has never delivered a lot of rational conversation.

I'll give the phone number a try and see how that works out. Something must be done! ><;

Umm...finding Gary Bettman's Voicemail box was super easy...you just have to spell the name out on the phone line. I just left a voicemail for him. :)

So if you call that NY number, and then press 1, and then type 2388626, the recording will say "Press 1 for Gary Bettman" and then you press 1 and voila! :) Sorry for spam posts, but I figured this out just now. ;p

Awesome, I am going to go do this right now!

I highly recomend everyone does this as well. Give him hell, but seriously no threats. Just express disgust.

Hey see if you can do the same for Frank Brown.

I don't want to break up a good ol' Bettman hatin', but he's the NHL commissioner. Perhaps I missed a memo but I don't believe that gives him any authority over of the justice system in Detroit. I really doubt he even has the authority to tell JLA security to eject people.

The only thing Bettman can do is tell the refs to enforce the bench minor for objects thrown on the ice.

If this whole 'crusade against Octopus tossing' is even true, which I doubt, the city of Detroit and/or JLA management is the perpetrator.

More likely is that it isn't true at all, or at worst the guy got a ticket for being a drunken ****** and is now trying to raise a big stink to cover his own idiocy.

That's what I've been thinking, this is a city issue not the NHL. That little rat has no say! He thinks he's a dictator, this is America, the sooner he's gone, the better!

"Officer Bullock informed me that the enforcement of Municipal Code 38-5-4 is at the request of the NHL. Evidently, police supervisors were informed Wednesday night, either before or during the game, by League representatives that they don't want anything thrown on the ice. An officer has to witness the throw and nab the thrower on the spot, but it's something they can and will enforce. Apparently, distance from players is not an issue: any octopus on the ice is grounds for ejection and a fine. I asked if it applied to hats thrown down for a hat trick and Officer Bullock pointed out it'd be much harder to enforce on hundreds/thousands of hats versus a few octopi."

http://onthewingsblog.com/2011/04/15/octodrama-update/

"Officer Bullock informed me that the enforcement of Municipal Code 38-5-4 is at the request of the NHL. Evidently, police supervisors were informed Wednesday night, either before or during the game, by League representatives that they don't want anything thrown on the ice. An officer has to witness the throw and nab the thrower on the spot, but it's something they can and will enforce. Apparently, distance from players is not an issue: any octopus on the ice is grounds for ejection and a fine. I asked if it applied to hats thrown down for a hat trick and Officer Bullock pointed out it'd be much harder to enforce on hundreds/thousands of hats versus a few octopi."

I wonder what happens if officers don't want to enforce the way the NHL wants? What does Bettman do then? Having the NHL telling people how to do their job is really arrogant if you ask me. Again I'll say it, Bettman thinks he's a dictator. In reality, all he does is work for the NHL owners, it's not like he's a politician.

It's like the MLS asking police to help regulate how rowdy the fans get during their games and to make sure they don't throw those silly streamers on the field of play during the game or NASCAR asking police to not let in any non red necks. I can't possibly be the only one that understands all this. Yah it's incredibly stupid and completely immature, but I understand why all this is happening.

The NHL can request anything it wants, it is still up to the police/DA to enforce it or not. It's not like the NHL could do anything if the DPD said no. It's not dangerous or so disruptive that they could make a case of dereliction of duty.

The NHL can request anything it wants, it is still up to the police/DA to enforce it or not. It's not like the NHL could do anything if the DPD said no. It's not dangerous or so disruptive that they could make a case of dereliction of duty.

Sure, it's up to police/DA. But think what can happen next.

Battman is a little ***** lawyer, his sole purpose in life is to mess with people using law. The very next day after octopus hit the ice and no one arrested, man in a plain cloth and paychecks from NHL will file a complaint against a police officer/ security guard for .... (letting this happen, but written in lawyers language), and there would be a few witnesses who would testify...

Edited by ami

Yes, it's up to the police to enforce it, but if they've had a request from the NHL specifically to enforce it, then of course they're going to agree to do it. I think the first thing to do would be to voice our displeasure to the NHL, and then they and the City of Detroit can come to an agreement.

I like the idea of everybody throwing stuffed (plush, not with breadcrumbs and aioli) octopi onto the ice en masse. There's no way the NHL doesn't see that, whereas an underground Internet campaign doesn't get the same kind of exposure. Plus, they can't whine about player/ref safety that way...it'd just make them look even more stupid.

one more suggestion.

how about writing an open letter to Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch, to Mr. Holland and other owner and GM. Publish it, spread the word around and let fans sign this letter. These are NHL owners, these employs Mr. Battman.

May be I'm naive, but if this little lawyer hears something from his employer he will for sure pay attention.

Sure, it's up to police/DA. But think what can happen next.

Battman is a little ***** lawyer, his sole purpose in life is to mess with people using law. The very next day after octopus hit the ice and no one arrested, man in a plain cloth and paychecks from NHL will file a complaint against a police officer/ security guard for .... (letting this happen, but written in lawyers language), and there would be a few witnesses who would testify...

It's a stretch. Moreover, a stretch I already addressed. There is massive precedent in the US legal system for 'common sense' law enforcement. Police are perfectly within their rights to issue warnings or just look the other way when no harm is caused.

If the NHL even tried that, which I doubt they would, they would likely find themselves facing sanctions for frivolous litigation. Possibly even a counter-suit for harassment from the city of Detroit.

By all means, please continue to hate Bettman. Just be sure to hate the DPD too (if they actually decide to enforce this).

Hmmm if I were an officer I would say, yes, I see the octopus on the ice but I didn't see who threw it.

We need a leader on LGW who can really make sure letters get sent to the NHL office and Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch and whoever.

I really would take this on as I love writing letters, etc, yet the whole 'being in Britain' thing kind of precludes me from direct participation. I am fully willing for people to sign my name via proxy.

Bettman tired to stop this before. I have 1997 playoff games on VHS/DVD, and whenever a octopus hit the ice, Bud Lynch had to tell the fans if something is thrown on the ice, it's an automatic penalty to the home team.

If it didn't work then, it won't work now.

You can definetly count me in, I'll do all that I can. I hate the NHL and what it does to the Detroit Red Wings. I've been believing that the NHL has been against the Wings for a long time. My best example is Game 1 or 2 of the 09 Stanley Cup Finals which I taped most of and afther Bettman's interveiw with Mickey and Ken Bettman is sitting in his seast at the Joe and at that point it's either 2 or 3-0 Wings and Bettman just looks like he is seething. I mean you could fry Sunday morning breakfast on top of his head he looks so pissed. So I'll do what I can and help the Wings gain respect from the NHL.