• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

this is why Detroit is hockeytown... the only state that prefers the NHL playoffs

Posted Image

Edited by cupforwings, 16 April 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#2 Gregsbouch

Gregsbouch

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

"The rest of the world" really picked NBA?

Sad

I hate how the ESPN homepage always seems to have anything but hockey on it.

#3 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

That and the Pistons suck. Awesome picture either way.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 16 April 2011 - 06:52 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#4 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

Detroit is hockeytown because Ilitch copyrighted & trademarked it.

ESPN sucks.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#5 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

Those polls are worth watching. Whenever the question pits something Detroit-related against other cities, Michigan always supports its own better than the other states do.

P.S. Minnesota = State of Hockey.....my ass :)
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#6 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

why is Pennsylvania gray?

#7 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

why is Pennsylvania gray?

Two NHL teams, one NBA team.

*ETA* 50/50, usually.

Edited by thedisappearer, 16 April 2011 - 08:08 PM.

*this space for rent*

#8 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

Just awesome. F**k the haters.

Not sure if anyone has been paying attention, but there have been articles in the News and Freep about the sellout streak and surge of energy from the home crowd at JLA recently. It seems some of the wine and cheese crowd that held their season tickets for so long are no longer around and an infusion of younger, newer fans has made a big difference. Lots of credit goes to Tom Wilson, I think. He did the same thing for the Pistons and they had a really enthusiastic, young, raucous crowd. The Joe is a lot livelier lately and it's nice to see.
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

Canada would rather watch the NBA playoffs? What? Did only 20 people vote in that poll at that point?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

I know why the fans were so quiet during the regular season they think like the Wings do. Real hockey doesn't start until the playoffs.

#11 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

thats not a representation of the hockey fans watching the playoffs at all. Come on, thats an ESPN poll. Most people who still pay attention to their polls and stats are mostly football and basketball fans. Real hockey fans know ESPN are hockey haters so they don't even bother. Look how dark blue the states are in the south east though....
mccarty3

#12 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

thats not a representation of the hockey fans watching the playoffs at all. Come on, thats an ESPN poll. Most people who still pay attention to their polls and stats are mostly football and basketball fans. Real hockey fans know ESPN are hockey haters so they don't even bother. Look how dark blue the states are in the south east though....

Actually it's about right. TV ratings for the Stanley Cup Finals aren't even half of what they are for the NBA.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#13 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

That and the Pistons suck. Awesome picture either way.

I thought that for a second too, but even states with teams out of the NBA playoffs and in the NHL playoffs still voted for NBA
Specific Examples - Washington and Phoenix
States with both playoffs - Illinois, California, Boston, New York, Florida and Pennsylvania

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#14 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

Those polls are worth watching. Whenever the question pits something Detroit-related against other cities, Michigan always supports its own better than the other states do.

P.S. Minnesota = State of Hockey.....my ass :)

Wild aren't in the playoffs, and it's more of a college hockey state anyway.

#15 Jwo

Jwo

Let's go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm not surprised at all.
FireCaptain - "THIS ISN'T DATELINE, BUT WE'RE HERE TO STOP A PREDATOR."
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du,
When I see you Red Wings,
I go out of my head,
I just can't get enough,
I just can't get enough,
All the things you do to me and all the things you said,
I just can't get enough.
I just can't get enough
We slip and slide and we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough of...
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du

#16 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

Wild aren't in the playoffs, and it's more of a college hockey state anyway.

Neither are the Timberwolves, which are the most miserable team in basketball.
Posted Image

#17 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Actually it's about right. TV ratings for the Stanley Cup Finals aren't even half of what they are for the NBA.

If the NHL was actually on a respectable TV station aside from one or two games a week on NBC, we might have some more viewership support in other states. The NBA playoffs are on TNT (which could be sort of considered our VS.), but they also have ABC (our NBC) and games on ESPN. Along with the fact that they have way more NBA analysts willing to talk about how Shaq won't be able to play because he's af****** dinosaur or what LeBron's pregame meal was, we're not going to see any more support for our sport until ESPN hires some people who give a s***.

To be honest though, they had a respectable amount of hockey analysis on yesterday during an evening edition of SportsCenter, IMO, the perfect amount of coverage. If they actually did this with every other sport instead of looking at every block, every other shot, every play in baseball, etc. they might have some time to cover other sports that exist too. But as I said, hockey gets a bum rap because they have people willing to talk about the s*** in regards to basketball, and worse, people actually watch and are genuinely interested in that kind of crap, and the cycle never ends.

Posted Image

#18 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

Why are people so obsessed with the predictable NBA playoffs, where the higher seed wins every damn series?

There's no mystery there at all.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#19 hockeychik25

hockeychik25

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

detroit fans are better anyway. they love their sports win or lose.
Piet Van Zant and Kevin Rand better watch out, one day I will be athletic trainer for the wings or tigers! :)

#20 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

If the NHL was actually on a respectable TV station aside from one or two games a week on NBC, we might have some more viewership support in other states. The NBA playoffs are on TNT (which could be sort of considered our VS.), but they also have ABC (our NBC) and games on ESPN. Along with the fact that they have way more NBA analysts willing to talk about how Shaq won't be able to play because he's af****** dinosaur or what LeBron's pregame meal was, we're not going to see any more support for our sport until ESPN hires some people who give a s***.

To be honest though, they had a respectable amount of hockey analysis on yesterday during an evening edition of SportsCenter, IMO, the perfect amount of coverage. If they actually did this with every other sport instead of looking at every block, every other shot, every play in baseball, etc. they might have some time to cover other sports that exist too. But as I said, hockey gets a bum rap because they have people willing to talk about the s*** in regards to basketball, and worse, people actually watch and are genuinely interested in that kind of crap, and the cycle never ends.

It doesn't matter the exposure that hockey gets; basketball survives because of star players and the rate of play/scoring.

Americans in general like a sport that they can get up and get a beer or get up and use the restroom and not miss much. If you do that at any time other than commercials and intermission in a hockey game, you will likely miss some good plays.

It's also harder to get into as a game because it's not as accessible to play. Anyone can go play a pickup game of basketball, but to play a pickup game of hockey, you have to find a rink, find skates, gloves, etc. Just skates alone are a fairly sizable investment to a sport that you're likely not going to play very often.

Since the rules are more obscure (try going to a game in SoCal and listening to people around you), it's harder for people to understand.

Just getting the game back on ESPN would not substantially help the NHL viewership. It's a niche sport, destined to perpetually be #4 unless USA Hockey makes a huge push in getting the game to the youth of America. Hell, lacrosse is growing faster than hockey at this point.