• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cupforwings

Why detroit is hockeytown

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Detroit is hockeytown because Ilitch copyrighted & trademarked it.

ESPN sucks.

Just awesome. F**k the haters.

Not sure if anyone has been paying attention, but there have been articles in the News and Freep about the sellout streak and surge of energy from the home crowd at JLA recently. It seems some of the wine and cheese crowd that held their season tickets for so long are no longer around and an infusion of younger, newer fans has made a big difference. Lots of credit goes to Tom Wilson, I think. He did the same thing for the Pistons and they had a really enthusiastic, young, raucous crowd. The Joe is a lot livelier lately and it's nice to see.

thats not a representation of the hockey fans watching the playoffs at all. Come on, thats an ESPN poll. Most people who still pay attention to their polls and stats are mostly football and basketball fans. Real hockey fans know ESPN are hockey haters so they don't even bother. Look how dark blue the states are in the south east though....

thats not a representation of the hockey fans watching the playoffs at all. Come on, thats an ESPN poll. Most people who still pay attention to their polls and stats are mostly football and basketball fans. Real hockey fans know ESPN are hockey haters so they don't even bother. Look how dark blue the states are in the south east though....

Actually it's about right. TV ratings for the Stanley Cup Finals aren't even half of what they are for the NBA.

That and the Pistons suck. Awesome picture either way.

I thought that for a second too, but even states with teams out of the NBA playoffs and in the NHL playoffs still voted for NBA

Specific Examples - Washington and Phoenix

States with both playoffs - Illinois, California, Boston, New York, Florida and Pennsylvania

Those polls are worth watching. Whenever the question pits something Detroit-related against other cities, Michigan always supports its own better than the other states do.

P.S. Minnesota = State of Hockey.....my ass :)

Wild aren't in the playoffs, and it's more of a college hockey state anyway.

Actually it's about right. TV ratings for the Stanley Cup Finals aren't even half of what they are for the NBA.

If the NHL was actually on a respectable TV station aside from one or two games a week on NBC, we might have some more viewership support in other states. The NBA playoffs are on TNT (which could be sort of considered our VS.), but they also have ABC (our NBC) and games on ESPN. Along with the fact that they have way more NBA analysts willing to talk about how Shaq won't be able to play because he's a ******* dinosaur or what LeBron's pregame meal was, we're not going to see any more support for our sport until ESPN hires some people who give a s***.

To be honest though, they had a respectable amount of hockey analysis on yesterday during an evening edition of SportsCenter, IMO, the perfect amount of coverage. If they actually did this with every other sport instead of looking at every block, every other shot, every play in baseball, etc. they might have some time to cover other sports that exist too. But as I said, hockey gets a bum rap because they have people willing to talk about the s*** in regards to basketball, and worse, people actually watch and are genuinely interested in that kind of crap, and the cycle never ends.

If the NHL was actually on a respectable TV station aside from one or two games a week on NBC, we might have some more viewership support in other states. The NBA playoffs are on TNT (which could be sort of considered our VS.), but they also have ABC (our NBC) and games on ESPN. Along with the fact that they have way more NBA analysts willing to talk about how Shaq won't be able to play because he's a ******* dinosaur or what LeBron's pregame meal was, we're not going to see any more support for our sport until ESPN hires some people who give a s***.

To be honest though, they had a respectable amount of hockey analysis on yesterday during an evening edition of SportsCenter, IMO, the perfect amount of coverage. If they actually did this with every other sport instead of looking at every block, every other shot, every play in baseball, etc. they might have some time to cover other sports that exist too. But as I said, hockey gets a bum rap because they have people willing to talk about the s*** in regards to basketball, and worse, people actually watch and are genuinely interested in that kind of crap, and the cycle never ends.

It doesn't matter the exposure that hockey gets; basketball survives because of star players and the rate of play/scoring.

Americans in general like a sport that they can get up and get a beer or get up and use the restroom and not miss much. If you do that at any time other than commercials and intermission in a hockey game, you will likely miss some good plays.

It's also harder to get into as a game because it's not as accessible to play. Anyone can go play a pickup game of basketball, but to play a pickup game of hockey, you have to find a rink, find skates, gloves, etc. Just skates alone are a fairly sizable investment to a sport that you're likely not going to play very often.

Since the rules are more obscure (try going to a game in SoCal and listening to people around you), it's harder for people to understand.

Just getting the game back on ESPN would not substantially help the NHL viewership. It's a niche sport, destined to perpetually be #4 unless USA Hockey makes a huge push in getting the game to the youth of America. Hell, lacrosse is growing faster than hockey at this point.

Really? Are you sure? I haven't seen numbers but I was under the impression that nobody watched the NBA finals.

Really? Are you sure? I haven't seen numbers but I was under the impression that nobody watched the NBA finals.

Nah, it's just that we don't watch the NBA finals.

an espn poll doesnt tell me much. espn is a joke. for an entity that prides itself on being the world wide leader in sports, they sure are lacking in hockey and soccer coverage. 30 seconds of barry melrose each time sportscenter airs is a joke. and lets not even discuss its way over the top NFL coverage.

anyway screw that noise and screw espn. go wings!

That is awesome for Detroit but I think that the poll is probably pretty skewed. How many hockey fans regularly check ESPN? They pretty much ignore the sport. There are about a dozen places I would check before I go to ESPN, sort of an unofficial boycott I guess as well as the fact that their NHL coverage is horrible and they charge you for any real information.