Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on the lines once Hank gets back?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

I hate breaking up Pav and Flip after today's game, but I'm guessing that Hank won't be skating well enough to center his own line...and that poses a problem:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi
Hudler-Filppula-Cleary
Draper-Helm-Eaves
Miller
Modano

#2 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

I agree with you, but at the same time I REALLY like our Abs- Cleary-Bert line so that needs to stay. IMO we go with:

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Homer
Franzen-Filps- Hudler
Bert-Abdelkator- Cleary
Eaves- Helm- Draper/Miller/Modano

- As you said, Hank will not be well enough to play without Pavs. Also, Pavs is playing in a league of his own right now, so he can pick up slack for Z and effectively get more outa an injured Z than anyone else will... they will still be a deadly line, and the best in the playoffs imo.
- Filpulla and Hudler have looked great in both games so far, and with the addition of Franzen, whom has also been great these 2 games, this should be a really good second line for Babs and the Wings
- I love that third line... it has really provided problems for Phoenix and helps set the physical tone for the boys... keep that line together
- The 4th line is again very good, arguably the best 4th line in the NHL so that is good
- Simply put, I think these lines should provide LOTS of success for the Wings and their hopefully long run.

Thoughts?

#3 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:10 AM

Blue, your line threads are hilarious, and borderline insane.

I'm having my drinks ... anyone else still playing?

#4 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:30 AM

I agree with you, but at the same time I REALLY like our Abs- Cleary-Bert line so that needs to stay. IMO we go with:

Franzen-Filps- Hudler
Bert-Abdelkator- Cleary

- As you said, Hank will not be well enough to play without Pavs. Also, Pavs is playing in a league of his own right now, so he can pick up slack for Z and effectively get more outa an injured Z than anyone else will... they will still be a deadly line, and the best in the playoffs imo.
- Filpulla and Hudler have looked great in both games so far, and with the addition of Franzen, whom has also been great these 2 games, this should be a really good second line for Babs and the Wings
- I love that third line... it has really provided problems for Phoenix and helps set the physical tone for the boys... keep that line together
- The 4th line is again very good, arguably the best 4th line in the NHL so that is good
- Simply put, I think these lines should provide LOTS of success for the Wings and their hopefully long run.

Thoughts?

This, but I think Draper needs to sit a game or two rather than Miller. Eaves-Helm-Miller gives you all the speed, hustle and desire you want from a fourth line, and they aren't that bad at faceoffs/pk if you need them. I would also hope Z would take Draper's pk shifts in the event of his return.

Unless Filppula get hurt, I really don't see Modano fitting in against Phoenix, and I sure wouldn't have thought that five days ago.

#5 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:38 AM

Blue, your line threads are hilarious, and borderline insane.

I'm having my drinks ... anyone else still playing?

Is this a drinking game?

#6 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:30 AM

Franzen-Filps- Hudler
Bert-Abdelkator- Cleary

Thoughts?

That's not bad at all...there's something I don't like about that second line though

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Hudler-Filppula-Franzen
Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi
Draper-Helm-Eaves
Miller
Modano

#7 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

This, but I think Draper needs to sit a game or two rather than Miller. Eaves-Helm-Miller gives you all the speed, hustle and desire you want from a fourth line, and they aren't that bad at faceoffs/pk if you need them. I would also hope Z would take Draper's pk shifts in the event of his return.

Unless Filppula get hurt, I really don't see Modano fitting in against Phoenix, and I sure wouldn't have thought that five days ago.

Faceoffs, faceoffs, faceoffs, Draper needs to stay until he proves he can't handle playing, and he's doing pretty good right now.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#8 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

Faceoffs, faceoffs, faceoffs, Draper needs to stay until he proves he can't handle playing, and he's doing pretty good right now.

agreed.

#9 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

Draper was 4/9 in faceoffs Sunday. He took 9 of the team's 59 faceoffs in the game. Even in the regular season, his faceoff win percentage was roughly 1 in 20 (four to six per cent) better than Datsyuk/Helm/Z/Abby. That's based on 9 FO/game, that's an avearge of one extra faceoff won every two games. If he's on his game.

In the series so far, he's 10/18 (55.6 per cent), compared to the other Cs, Dats (64.9), Abdelkader (57.6) and Flipper (44.4). Faceoffs alone ought not be a reason to keep Draper in.

I understand what you're saying but I think I'd rather have the other three for their forechecking tenacity since that's another area to expolit their turnover-prone defence.

This is, of course, once Z gets back and there really seems to be no guarantee of that for Monday. :(

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,831 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

Draper - Zetterberg - Cleary
Hudler - Bertuzzi - Holmstrom
Abdelkder - Datsyuk - Eaves
Franzen - Filpulla - Helm

Edited by GMRwings1983, 17 April 2011 - 01:13 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

Draper - Zetterberg - Cleary
Hudler - Bertuzzi - Holmstrom
Abdelkder - Datsyuk - Eaves
Franzen - Filpulla - Helm

BRILLIANT!

#12 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

I say we pull Howie and roll 3 lines of 4.

Homer-Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Franzen
Hudler-Flip-Cleary-Bert
Draper-Helm-Eaves-Abby
Posted Image

#13 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

Bench Datsyuk. He hasn't registered a point in almost 2 whole periods.
*this space for rent*