• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Holliday

Speaking of Playing Through Pain...

Rate this topic

My favorite of the 4 Stanley Cup runs.

I remember for the first two series of that run wondering game by game if Stevie was going to play. The last two series, I had no doubt "The Captain" would be in there giving it his all.

Stevie's finest hour! :clap:

Guest Shoreline

Love Lids to death but Stevie Y will always be my Red Wings "hero" and "Captain". Those 2002 playoffs were quite memorable.

Edited by Shoreline

Ugh, there are a few things that make me want to tear up in this world. This video is one of em, overwhelming chills from head to toe. :satisfied: forever "The Captain"

Just the best. I was there for the '02 Cup clincher and other games and he just battled through every single thing. His whole career is portrayed in this clip. The truest leader sports has ever had and ever will have. Just a great honor to have lived through his entire Captaincy and watch him play. Love ya Stevie! Not just my favorite all time Wing, just all time favorite human being. thumbup.gif

Edited by HankthaTank

So I am sitting here with Chuck Norris, we watched that and one single solitary tear fell from his eyes.

He said takes this and save a child from cancer. But the tear was so heavy I could not carry it!

Then he showed me his Yzerman tattoo that had the words "My Hero" underneath it, not only that but when he lifted his shirt the song "My Hero" by Foo Fighters played from his chest.

Ok in all seriousness, awesome commercial.

That run was unbelievable, and without Stevie the team never makes it out of the first round.

ok im man enough to admit it. that choked me up a bit. i was at the game when they retired his number. i still cant believe he is gone. i never thought growing up i would see my favorite player retire.

Steve was the man, is the man, was the man. The Red Wings have been fortunate over the years to employ not only some of the best hockey players in the world, but some of the best human beings in the world. We're all better for having watched him play.

I have been staring at a blinking cursor trying to figure out what else I could possibly add to this thread ,

and to be honest, there is not much I can say that has not been said already.

they waited too long to retire his number.... It should of been up there 5 years before his playing days ended.

I remember the 97 cup win and how I wept like a baby when he swung that Cup up over his head and the smile that was on his face.....

Thinking "FINALLY.......HE FINALLY GOT IT"! In all my years of watching sports in Detroit, no one deserved it more than Steve.

yzerman_1997_stanleycup.jpg

Agree with everything here. Greatest Captain ever. And what he really had in that series was that he simply refused to lose. Sure, everyone wants to win, but Stevie just refused to lose. Whatever it took. A rare quality -- but I would love to see a bit more of that out of the current team.

He's the reason I got into hockey and the Red Wings. No one will ever live up to him as long as I live.

Hero!

Couldn't agree more. He was the reason for my love of hockey and the Wings initially and the reason for my disdain for most other sports and many other players - its not really fair I guess but I compare them to him and they all fall woefully short.

The defining image of the 2002 cup run isn't Lidstroms slapper from centre ice to turn the Vancouver series. Its not Roy's statue of liberty, nor his being pulled from the Joe in game 7. Its not Darren McCarty's hat-trick and high-fiving his son in the tunnel. Its not the grind line getting us going in game 2 of the finals. Its not Larionov scoring in pentatriple overtime. Its not Shannys empty netter in game 5.

The defining image of the 2002 cup run is Steve Yzerman having to use his stick as a lever to help him back back onto he feet every single time he was knocked to the ice.