• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

10 Years Ago Today in Wings Hockey

Rate this topic

Wings vs. Kings 2001, game 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFoWggfpKrg

One of my worst memories ever as a Wings fan, and I can't believe it's been 10 years already.

I have a really painful story about this game. I had a big test in school the following day, so I went to bed when Detroit was up 3-0 late in the third. I figured the game was in the bag. The entire next day in school, I still hadn't known that we lost the game so I felt really good about things that day. Upon coming home and watching the news and highlights that evening, I couldn't f**king believe what had happened. I remember throwing some things around my room and not talking to anyone that whole night.

Ever since then, I've learned my lesson never to stop watching a late playoff game no matter what the score is. Tonight, I'll stay up till 4 if I have to. :D

Alternate title: The Stupidity and Inevitable Demise of Martin Lapointe.

And ultimately Chris Osgood, who we replaced with Hasek.

I figured we'd beat LA and get Yzerman and Shanahan back for the next series. I felt good about our team that year. F*** that game 4.

I remember there was rumors Yzerman broke his foot when him and McCarty went off roading on dirt bikes a few days before the playoffs. Then Shanny got injured in Game 2.

2001 was tough, but 2002 made up for it.

I'll do that one in 2019 (if I haven't been banned yet).

Was LGW even around in 2001? I'd love to see what the GDT looked like for that game. :hehe:

yes. i have been a member on these boards since the 99-00 season. no one is registered before 02 because the boards went down that year and everyone had to re-register.

Edited by TheCaptain19

I would have raged SO HARD! That stuff only seems to happen to the Wings.

Newbie. :P

yes. i have been a member on these boards since the 99-00 season. no one is registered before 02 because the boards went down that year and everyone had to re-register.

Ah, I see.

Must have been an interesting night here then.

Ughhh. That was so brutal. My best friend at the time was a Kings fan and every day in school during class or in the halls he would just chant "Chris OsBAD!". Grr. Really felt good about that year too.

Newbie. :P

Yeah, I was only 8 at the time. But hey, I'd rather be a newbie than old! :P

And you better never, ever, EVER make one for 2009!! I never cried so long and so hard in my life and I would not like to be reminded why.

Wings vs. Kings 2001, game 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFoWggfpKrg

One of my worst memories ever as a Wings fan, and I can't believe it's been 10 years already.

I have a really painful story about this game. I had a big test in school the following day, so I went to bed when Detroit was up 3-0 late in the third. I figured the game was in the bag. The entire next day in school, I still hadn't known that we lost the game so I felt really good about things that day. Upon coming home and watching the news and highlights that evening, I couldn't f**king believe what had happened. I remember throwing some things around my room and not talking to anyone that whole night.

Ever since then, I've learned my lesson never to stop watching a late playoff game no matter what the score is. Tonight, I'll stay up till 4 if I have to. :D

Why did you have to remind me of this? Easily one of the most painful, frustrating, and embarrassing memories I have as a Wings fan.

My worst memories:

1. Game 6, Round 1, Edmonton. 3 or 4 goal lead going into the third, blew it with Hemsky icing it. I was nothing short of furious.

2. The Kings series. I couldn't believe the Kings beat us, the Los Angeles Kings, it just wasn't suppossed to happen.

3. Anaheim, '03. Just so frustrated that we couldn't score.

4. Forgot the year but the Av's beat us in the Conference semi-final. Peter Forsberg undeniably dominated the series. Almost eveytime he touched the puck, something scary happened.

5. Last year against San Jose. I was just so frustrated with the calls, I couldn't believe the refs were getting away with it. The worst called games I've ever seen. Blatantly one sided.

6. Pittsburgh '09. Don't get me wrong, this was bad. I was in Pittsburgh, downtown, when they won but this wasnt one of my worst. I believe we were the better team, we had injuries, and we won the year before. Felt bad for Conks and Hossa tho.

The last two are lower on the list because with each passing year I believe the refs get worse and worse and almost dictate who wins more than the players on the ice. I get more mad when the Wings get out played but clearly lesser teams.

I still remember this and feeling the anger and disbelief that came with it, and the heart sinking feeling that I had when my dad told me the morning after they were eliminated that they lost in overtime (couldn't watch it because the game started at 9:30 and it was a school night).

Me too, although I think it was the 2000 part of the season that I found the place.

This place has been the bomb, for awhile this place was so filled with in depth knowledge, not opinion which the board is filled with now (not saying good or bad as this is my opinion right here).

I was expecting to see Stevie eat that one in the eye, but that was 03 or 04?

Me too, although I think it was the 2000 part of the season that I found the place.

This place has been the bomb, for awhile this place was so filled with in depth knowledge, not opinion which the board is filled with now (not saying good or bad as this is my opinion right here).

I was expecting to see Stevie eat that one in the eye, but that was 03 or 04?

Yeah, that was 2004.