CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

https://twitter.com/#!/wyshynski

Greg Wyshynski
wyshynski Greg Wyshynski
NHL announces conference call with Gary Bettman and **** Ebersol of NBC for 1 p.m. "Major Announcement."
8 minutes ago
John Ourand
Ourand_SBJ John Ourand
by wyshynski
I'm being told that NBC/Versus has won the NHL's media rights. SBD's Morning Buzz will have the full report in 10 minutes.
15 minutes ago

#2 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

Well, whoever pays the most, gets the right. It's simple business.

Cue the f*** Bettman, now.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#3 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

Will the season still start on New Year's Day?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#4 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

https://twitter.com/#!/TheFourthPeriod

TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta
Wow! RT @ericfrancis NBC/Versus gets NHL rights for an NHL-record $200M a year (Versus currently pays just under $80 mil). ESPN shut out
1 minute ago

#5 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

Thank Spaghetti Monster I'm in Canada.

#6 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

Yay for the revenue, booo for the announcers.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#7 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

https://twitter.com/#!/wyshynski

wyshynski Greg Wyshynski
From a solid media source: NBC/NHL is a 10-year deal.
11 minutes ago

Edited by CenterIce, 19 April 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#8 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

Well - no surprises here...NBC/VS has pretty much done what the NHL has asked from them, and the ratings have been improvong since the lock out.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#9 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hire Bill Clement!

#10 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

10 more years of Versus and NBC? I know that the NHL has sustained growth since the lockout but that growth is going to stagnate. ESPN provides national exposure and has the ability to shove hockey down the throats of a lot of people. There is a reason that ESPN can demand one of the highest carrier fees in the industry. The NHL is sacrificing long term growth for short term profits. And you know NBC doesn't care about hockey. When games 3 and 4 of your premier series is relegated to a cable station then you know you have problems.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#11 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

Yay for the revenue, booo for the announcers.

Pretty much sums this up perfectly.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#12 Nic

Nic

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

Pretty much sums this up perfectly.

I'm with both of you. ughhhhhh

#13 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

10 more years of Versus and NBC? I know that the NHL has sustained growth since the lockout but that growth is going to stagnate. ESPN provides national exposure and has the ability to shove hockey down the throats of a lot of people. There is a reason that ESPN can demand one of the highest carrier fees in the industry. The NHL is sacrificing long term growth for short term profits. And you know NBC doesn't care about hockey. When games 3 and 4 of your premier series is relegated to a cable station then you know you have problems.

This is what I have been thinking for a while. Yeah VS/NBC brings more money to the table, but the exposure ESPN provides would be a huge boost. Even if they are on ESPN 2, which I think was the original idea.

#14 Cicada

Cicada

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

This is what I have been thinking for a while. Yeah VS/NBC brings more money to the table, but the exposure ESPN provides would be a huge boost. Even if they are on ESPN 2, which I think was the original idea.

but with VS rebranding as NBC Sports, it does ask some intersting questions of where the channel is going, and the NHL will be at the forefront of it...

i this deal is good for the nhl
IPB Image

#15 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

ESPN wouldn't shove the NHL down the throats of anyone.

You have to follow the money with the way ESPN treated the NHL when it was on. They simply do not give hockey enough attention to warrant such a substantial difference in a contract offer.

Hire Gary Thorne to NBC, and I guarantee you half of the criticisms of this deal would go away.

Posted Image

#16 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

ESPN wouldn't shove the NHL down the throats of anyone.

You have to follow the money with the way ESPN treated the NHL when it was on. They simply do not give hockey enough attention to warrant such a substantial difference in a contract offer.

Exactly. The NHL was the red-headed stepchild on ESPN and verbally abused at every opportunity. This coupled with the fact that VS has slowly gotten better (minus the commentators) makes this a damn decent deal.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#17 Robby2419

Robby2419

that avatar pic is in fact me with Stevie Y

• 27 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

ugh. thankfully i can keep turning on the radio and muting the volume on the TV.

#18 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

Your sig lacks a 3.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#19 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hire Gary Thorne to NBC, and I guarantee you half of the criticisms of this deal would go away.

This
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#20 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

Bingo Posted Image

It really might be just as simple as this too. Isn't he the Orioles announcer or something, though?
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.