• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Sounds like more Versus/NBC for the next few years

Rate this topic

Hockey is and always will be a niche sport, at least in the US. The decline really had nothing to do with ESPN but the product itself. There is a reason the NHL went through an extensive re-branding after the lockout. It was bleeding fans and revenue. ESPN would cut away to golf, bowling, and pool because it got better ratings. No one wanted to watch the NHL.

And ESPN was not part of the solution. NBC and the OLN were. And now they reap the rewards for their investment.

Comparing NBC to ESPN is stupid. ESPN is on cable, which not everyone subscribes to, while you can pick up NBC with a $2 pair of rabbit ears. Of course ratings are going to be better. Don't forget that a deal with ESPN would include broadcasts on ABC, at least it should. If a deal didn't include time on ABC then it is understandable to pass.

So the ratings will be better on NBC, they have treated the NHL better on NBC, and the NHL will make more money straight up with NBC.

Why are we even questioning this deal, again?

Guest Howard He Do It?!

...that or ESPN has their indifference toward the league as a whole.

Like others have already said - the NHL is usually the butt of jokes as far as ESPN is concerned...I for one have no problems with NBC/VS; yeah they have their faults, but at least they do what they can with what they got, and have made the NHL a priority.

ESPN is a business. I can tell you right now that ESPN focused more on poker, bowling, pool, etc. because it drew better than the NHL, not because ESPN had an indifference towards the league.

While I agree that Versus and NBC have done a lot for the NHL, it's easy to make the NHL a priority when it is your only major sports commodity.

ESPN is a business. I can tell you right now that ESPN focused more on poker, bowling, pool, etc. because it drew better than the NHL, not because ESPN had an indifference towards the league.

While I agree that Versus and NBC have done a lot for the NHL, it's easy to make the NHL a priority when it is your only major sports commodity.

Another plus for this deal.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

And ESPN was not part of the solution. NBC and the OLN were. And now they reap the rewards for their investment.

ESPN had problems, just like Versus and NBC do now, but it had more to do with the product on the ice, which is why the game was changed. ESPN held a toxic commodity in the form of the NHL and they wanted nothing to do with it after a year long lockout and the steadily declining ratings. No ratings means no ad dollars. The NHL was lucky to get OLN, an unheard of cable channel, and basically had to beg NBC to carry hockey games, sharing revenues rather than receiving a direct payment.

So the ratings will be better on NBC, they have treated the NHL better on NBC, and the NHL will make more money straight up with NBC.

There is no way to tell that the ratings would be better on NBC than they would on ABC. In the short term the NHL will make more money with NBC. My argument is a long term one if you care to read what I actually posted.

Why are we even questioning this deal, again?

Don't you mean why do I have a differing opinion? :crybaby:

Another plus for this deal.

Which I have previously stated, not that you really care. To act like Versus and NBC is giving special treatment to the NHL over another sport is absurd.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

why in the world would NBC re-up their aggreement??! their coverage over the years has been attrocious. its probably more of a ploy so that no other network can get it.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

So with this new deal, Ken and Mick would not be calling games past round 1? If so, that sucks.

Correct because all playoffs games go national starting with the conference semis. Unless they are simulcasting some games from local feeds.

No you wouldn't.

Let's say hypothetically, you get paid $100,000 a year to broadcast baseball (I have no idea what PBP guys get paid, it's just a round number).

Are you really going to pass up $20,000 a year just so you can call hockey games? I sure as hell wouldn't, and I don't know too many people that would.

Heh, obviously to you money means everything. I would take a 20% pay cut to do something I love to do in a heartbeat. Why take that kind of money if you hate doing it? My grandfather told me something when I was 10 that I will never forget.

"Find a job that you love and you will never work a day in your life."

I agree with that.

200 mil a season??? Good God. The cap was expected to rise 3-4 mil for next season...and that was projected in January. It is going to keep growing, good news for the Wings and thief fans :).

Isn't Versus being bought by NBC? VS has the NHLas their number one sport and now with NBC involved, just imagine all the growth the sport will see with NBC having the NHL as their #1 sport:).

Great deal!

They were just talking about the Cap impact on NHL Home Ice radio. Per team money goes from $2.5m per team per year to $6.25m per team per year (roughly). We could see the CAP go up 6-7m this off-season.

The cost of UFA's just went up.

No all 8 off the people that get VS will get to see the games for 10 more years.

I really hate this deal.

Comcast is the biggest telecom company in the US, with the most viewers, and Versus is on every single Comcast box.

So, you're wrong. Also, DirecTV has Versus as well, and IIRC they're right up there with Comcast.

I very rarely watch ESPN, maybe to watch a College Football game or two, I can't stand Sportscenter any more. As far as VS goes, the only wish I have is: Get rid of EDZO!!!

I am happy with the new deal, hope they keep improving.I was actually happy that I don't have to see Bill Clement anymore.

Edited by Wingers17

Heh, obviously to you money means everything. I would take a 20% pay cut to do something I love to do in a heartbeat. Why take that kind of money if you hate doing it? My grandfather told me something when I was 10 that I will never forget.

"Find a job that you love and you will never work a day in your life."

I agree with that.

Gary Thorne enjoys his work. That is why he got into it in the first place.

ESPN had problems, just like Versus and NBC do now, but it had more to do with the product on the ice, which is why the game was changed. ESPN held a toxic commodity in the form of the NHL and they wanted nothing to do with it after a year long lockout and the steadily declining ratings. No ratings means no ad dollars. The NHL was lucky to get OLN, an unheard of cable channel, and basically had to beg NBC to carry hockey games, sharing revenues rather than receiving a direct payment.

And look where it got NBC.

There is no way to tell that the ratings would be better on NBC than they would on ABC. In the short term the NHL will make more money with NBC. My argument is a long term one if you care to read what I actually posted.

You have nothing to imply there is a long term issue with this deal considering:

1. The league has gotten better

2. The ratings have gotten better

3. The coverage and programming overall has gotten better

All you are repeating is "ESPN AND ABC ARE THE ROXORS YEAHH". The point is the NHL has thrived with these two programs and since ESPN refuses to match or compete with the offer from NBC/Versus, there isn't much reason to come crawling back.

Don't you mean why do I have a differing opinion? :crybaby:

No, why are we debating a deal that seems to work out for just about everybody?

Which I have previously stated, not that you really care. To act like Versus and NBC is giving special treatment to the NHL over another sport is absurd.

They seem to treat the NHL a hell of a lot better than ESPN did, that's for sure.

Can you provide something concrete that gives me a reason to not be content with this new deal?

Interesting news, I guess, but this NBC sports network business doesn't sound promising. ESPN is deeply entrenched in the "sports news" arena. I'm not enthusiastic about the prospects of NBC's SportsCenter, PTI, or ATH knockoffs. Especially when hockey is their only product, whereas ESPN can boast baseball, basketball, and football.

Although personally I don't care about any of that crap. If hockey is on TV I'll watch it. I watched the Stanley Cup Finals on the goddamn Outdoor Life Network, I'll go anywhere for this dumb sport.

I've always thought NBC and Verses have done a decent job with the NHL. However I was a little disappointed to hear FOX was in the bidding and they didn't win. FOX has always done an excellent job with MLB and the NFL.

Edit: and I don't think FOX would have brought back the glowing puck.

Edited by Barrie

You're contradicting your own argument here. If NHL is a growing and worthwhile commodity, than why doesn't ESPN dedicate more time to it now? If there is such a demand for the NHL, than ESPN would dedicate more time to the sport. I don't watch Sportscenter anymore because there is almost no NHL coverage. There are a lot of NHL fans who do the same.

Also, the ESPN bid (or potential bid) is a perfect indication of how much the value hockey- and that amount (from what I've read) is much less than NBC/Versus. Also, I don't think it is ridiculous to assume that ESPN would play less games than Versus.

I very rarely watch ESPN, maybe to watch a College Football game or two, I can't stand Sportscenter any more. As far as VS goes, the only wish I have is: Get rid of EDZO!!!

I am happy with the new deal, hope they keep improving.I was actually happy that I don't have to see Bill Clement anymore.

I agree- I don't need to hear about the NFL for 12 hours a day all year.

Interesting news, I guess, but this NBC sports network business doesn't sound promising. ESPN is deeply entrenched in the "sports news" arena. I'm not enthusiastic about the prospects of NBC's SportsCenter, PTI, or ATH knockoffs. Especially when hockey is their only product, whereas ESPN can boast baseball, basketball, and football.

Although personally I don't care about any of that crap. If hockey is on TV I'll watch it. I watched the Stanley Cup Finals on the goddamn Outdoor Life Network, I'll go anywhere for this dumb sport.

I think a lot of ESPN's early fans are tired of what ESPN has become. There is too much sports gossip, talk shows, etc and not enough focus on sports. If NBC/Versus can gain some other sports and focus on the actual games,players,etc they could be relatively successful. IMO a name change to NBC Sports alone would do a lot for Versus' credibility.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the NHL sticking with Versus/NBC. I think a perfect situation would have been an ESPN game of the week with Versus/NBC doing the rest of the games, but I realize this is unrealistic. However, this change doesn't apply to me right now. I don't have cable because most of the games I want to watch aren't nationally televised. I use an antenna, Netflix, and other internet sources for my other viewing.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

And look where it got NBC.

You have nothing to imply there is a long term issue with this deal considering:

1. The league has gotten better

2. The ratings have gotten better

3. The coverage and programming overall has gotten better

All you are repeating is "ESPN AND ABC ARE THE ROXORS YEAHH". The point is the NHL has thrived with these two programs and since ESPN refuses to match or compete with the offer from NBC/Versus, there isn't much reason to come crawling back.

No, why are we debating a deal that seems to work out for just about everybody?

They seem to treat the NHL a hell of a lot better than ESPN did, that's for sure.

Can you provide something concrete that gives me a reason to not be content with this new deal?

This discussion is pointless until you stop acting like the NHL product hasn't changed since it was on ESPN and that ESPN somehow slighted the NHL.

Ugh. I don't mind NBC, but Versus blows. I guess this is 10 more years without being able to watch many games nationally. If it wasn't for HNIC, I'd only get to see a handful of games outside of Detroit games.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

You're contradicting your own argument here. If NHL is a growing and worthwhile commodity, than why doesn't ESPN dedicate more time to it now? If there is such a demand for the NHL, than ESPN would dedicate more time to the sport. I don't watch Sportscenter anymore because there is almost no NHL coverage. There are a lot of NHL fans who do the same.

Also, the ESPN bid (or potential bid) is a perfect indication of how much the value hockey- and that amount (from what I've read) is much less than NBC/Versus. Also, I don't think it is ridiculous to assume that ESPN would play less games than Versus.

ESPN and Sports Center does not cover the NHL more because there is no business incentive for them to do so. ESPN carries games from the other 3 major sports entities, the MLB, NBA, and NFL. It only makes since that a large part of their coverage will be dictated to those three sports. Since the NHL has no deal in place with ESPN, ESPN has no incentive to cover the NHL. It's simple economics.

You might argue that if ESPN covered the NHL more than the NHL would have more of an incentive to reach a deal with Disney. This is large untrue because a story came out today that there are still NHL execs who think the NHL should return to ESPN. This remains true even with ESPN's current coverage of the NHL.

The NHL is growing and a more valuable commodity but that doesn't mean it is making a hard charge to the front of the line. You can have increased growth and revenue while still being a niche sport. There is no contradiction.

People who are arguing for ESPN are missing the fact that Versus is going to carry 90 games next year. ESPN was offering 1 per week on ESPN 2. So Versus is going to broadcast 3 times the games. 80 million homes with 3 games a week is better than 100 million homes with 1 game a week. That 80 million homes will be up to 90 million very quickly, with NBC getting involved.

ESPN should be nervous, Versus (or what ever the new name is going to be) is going to be going after college football and basketball and will have the Olympics. The NHL has actually made all the right moves in getting away from ESPN, and sticking with a network for the long haul instead of jumping around every four years.

New Olympia Stadium

ESPN and Sports Center does not cover the NHL more because there is no business incentive for them to do so. ESPN carries games from the other 3 major sports entities, the MLB, NBA, and NFL. It only makes since that a large part of their coverage will be dictated to those three sports. Since the NHL has no deal in place with ESPN, ESPN has no incentive to cover the NHL. It's simple economics.

You might argue that if ESPN covered the NHL more than the NHL would have more of an incentive to reach a deal with Disney. This is large untrue because a story came out today that there are still NHL execs who think the NHL should return to ESPN. This remains true even with ESPN's current coverage of the NHL.

The NHL is growing and a more valuable commodity but that doesn't mean it is making a hard charge to the front of the line. You can have increased growth and revenue while still being a niche sport. There is no contradiction.

Simple economics? The simplification is on your part about the NHL, how the game has changed, and what ESPN's incentives are.

MLS is on ESPN. How much coverage does the MLS get on ESPN outside of the games? By your argument, ESPN has the 'economic' incentive to cover the MLS more because it shows the games. However, MLS is not a prominent subject on ESPN. When the NHL was on ESPN, there was less coverage than the other three major sports. Why do you assume this will immediately change?

Your argument about ESPN's incentives isn't clear, nor correct. If the NHL can earn ESPN significantly more revenue than they currently have, than they would have made a larger offer. The 'economics' of the subject is that the NFL and NCCA make the most money for ESPN. Therefore, they commit to most time to them. What do you think the viewership of ESPN wants- to hear about Favre sending nude pictures, or about the Wings/Phoenix series? While everyone on this forum would prefer the Wings, ESPN knows that Favre's penis will get them more viewers and thus more money.

This discussion is pointless until you stop acting like the NHL product hasn't changed since it was on ESPN and that ESPN somehow slighted the NHL.

ESPN did slight the NHL. You can google quotes by ESPN executives that stated they made a huge mistake with their last contract they had with the NHL.

Let's so you worked for a talent agency as a talent and after your time together ended they said hiring you was a huge mistake, especially with the deal they had with you.

Now they want you back as you have become very lucrative but a smaller firm is offering you substantially more money and willing to put you at the forfront of their enterprise and they are in the process of major expansion.

I know who I'd sign with.