• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Congratulations to the Phoenix Coyotes

Rate this topic

Seeing the fans in tears, my first thought was, "If the team means that much to you, where were you the last 15 years?"

Edit: That sounds mean, but great season Coyotes.

I think being in Glendale was their undoing. I have no idea why they got out of downtown and didn't share an arena with the Suns.

Now Glendale will have an empty arena.

yes and no. Im sure phoenix had some diehard fans, and for them it truly sucks. I would LOVE to move to the greater phoenix area, and then be able to see hockey, too? f*** yeah, sign me up. If i moved there, i'd definitely support the team as much as i could (secondly only to the wings of course).

So yes, for those fans, i feel bad for them.

As for the rest of the fans..... well.... if they had them, the coyotes wouldnt be in the position they are in.

All this, of course, is assuming that they ARE being relocated.

The fans should be proud of their team, the Yotes definitely played a great series and have done an amazing job with improving themselves over the past few years. I really wish the best to them no matter what happens, and I hope all their issues get sorted out soon. Congrats, Coyotes! :clap:

Nice to see that the Red Wings have douchey fans like any other team. It makes us oh, so much more human.

Do you kids not understand the concept of "sportsmanship"? It means not kicking someone when they're down. Sure, you can have an opinion against the Yotes, but that's what the other threads on the board are for.

This is about winning with respect and dignity, which our team commanded throughout the series, and we are now extending to our erstwhile adversaries.

Embarrassing that some kids nowadays have been taught no manners, dignity, grace, or class.

Oh come on, get off your high horse. What makes you think they'd have said the same about us? At the end of the day, hockey is about winning and showing no mercy to your opponent. Do you think if they carried this "I'm sorry about their teams status" mentality they would have won 4 straight games? f*** no they could care less. Sportsmanship and respect is shaking your opponents hand after a series, not this sappy "good job for battling through some hard times" GUESS WHAT they're getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for this! they have their fans to feel sorry them, and that is more than enough.

Guest Shoreline

This topic was merged with another one that said we should be proud of the Coyotes, so some posts might seem a little more "douchey" than others. Still, I don't feel like congratulating the Coyotes on being swept. I would congratulate the Jets for having fans that would likely show up for their games, though. I'm pretty sure their fans in Winnipeg would be more than appreciative of having an NHL team there again.

Edited by Shoreline

This topic was merged with another one that said we should be proud of the Coyotes, so some posts might seem a little more "douchey" than others. Still, I don't feel like congratulating the Coyotes on being swept. I would congratulate the Jets for having fans that would likely show up for their games, though.

The Jets had less fans going to their games than the Coyotes do/did.

Guest Shoreline

The Jets had less fans going to their games than the Coyotes do/did.

That's due to Winnipeg having 1/8th the population of the Phoenix region, further emphasizing how nonsensical it is for the justification of an NHL team remaining in Arizona. Winnipeg also didn't have the benefit of a salary cap and revenue sharing. Add onto that one US dollar was also roughly $1.50 Canadian (now $0.98). Winnipeg would do much better, and obviously be much more appreciative of an NHL team.

Guest Shoreline

I would also like to point out that Phoenix may have had a few hundred more people in the seats, but since the Winnipeg arena could fit a few thousand less people, that means Winnipeg's capacity was more full than Phoenix. Again, no justification for Coyotes fans not showing up.

Edited by Shoreline

Nice to see that the Red Wings have douchey fans like any other team. It makes us oh, so much more human.

Do you kids not understand the concept of "sportsmanship"?

Yeah, it's great when you are dealing with children. We're talking professional athletes. There's no "Participation" ribbon in the NHL. Yes, they tried really hard and had a s***ty ownership cloud over their head. Sucks. Then they got swept. By a team they took to 7 last year. Honestly, I'm not sure I am sure of what I should be congratulating them for? Trying hard while being paid tons of money to play hockey, but failing to do it well?

I have no issue with humility- as I said, they played hard. But that's also their job.

I wonder if Dallas has figured out they made some mistakes, amongst them giving us Mike Modano, and firing Dave Tippett, who promptly resurrected the Gretzky-tainted Coyotes. Two years with Dave behind the bench = two years in the playoffs. Dallas, not in the hunt. huh.

Anyway, best of luck to the Yoties, where-ever they land next season. While I personally don't think hockey belongs in the desert, I think their fans were loyal, even if there wasn't a huge base there. I feel bad for them if they lose their team.

I echo the dislike of Doan's tactics, at times. Yes, I did feel bad for him when he cried at the end of it all -- I love a player with heart and passion for the game. Like him or not, he's got that. Jovo, I am majorly disappointed in him. He was one of my favorite Canucks... now, as someone else said, he seems to be a bitter old man. Other than that, I loved watching some of the younger Yoties and the Cleary-esque story of Schlemko. Hell, I just love hockey, so I can empathize with the fans in Glendale.

As Edi said, even if they leave -- follow their play and be proud. Look where I live. Half the population here thinks Red Wing makes work boots, and has no idea that decal on my car stands for the best hockey club in the world. Doesn't stop me from being a devoted fan, just because they are not where I can see them every game.

I may have come across a bit harshly in the other thread with my Custer Trophy comment regarding Doan, but when you consider the chaotic off-ice situation the Coyotes had to deal with the past two seasons, you can't help but give them a lot of credit for two solid seasons that led to a playoff berth. Now that the series is over, I can easily give props where they're deserved. If they end up relocating, I hope the fans still follow the team, but also that the folks who may be losing jobs can recover quickly. I hope the situation can still be worked out, but I have no control over it. The only Yote I genuinely dislike is Jovo. Doan is a bit of a reckless ****** on the ice, but I do respect how he gives it all every night.

That's due to Winnipeg having 1/8th the population of the Phoenix region, further emphasizing how nonsensical it is for the justification of an NHL team remaining in Arizona. Winnipeg also didn't have the benefit of a salary cap and revenue sharing. Add onto that one US dollar was also roughly $1.50 Canadian (now $0.98). Winnipeg would do much better, and obviously be much more appreciative of an NHL team.

That's true regarding the population but Phoenix also has 3 other sports teams and many more entertainment options than Winnipeg. The Jets were the only show in town and were still getting ~ 10,000 fans a game, can't ignore that.

Yeah, it's great when you are dealing with children. We're talking professional athletes. There's no "Participation" ribbon in the NHL. Yes, they tried really hard and had a s***ty ownership cloud over their head. Sucks. Then they got swept. By a team they took to 7 last year. Honestly, I'm not sure I am sure of what I should be congratulating them for? Trying hard while being paid tons of money to play hockey, but failing to do it well?

I have no issue with humility- as I said, they played hard. But that's also their job.

This.

i don't totally disagree with this post, but i think it represents one of two different perspectives fans and observers (and players and management, i suppose)can take. one contends that winning whatever championship you're after is simply "doing your job" and that anything else is "failing."

the other (or ONE other, perhaps) perspective contends that the goal of a professional sports team is to entertain their fans, and that by (at least sometimes) rising to the very, very top of their game is what gives us hope and makes all the other years and games worth watching.

i think about it in terms of my job: is it that only the person who is the BEST at the job i have actually doing their job, and everyone else is failing at their job? i don't think so -- some people are just better than others, and those that aren't as good should be encouraged to do better.

don't get me wrong, i love the "show no mercy, leave no prisoners" passion for the games themselves, but IMO i don't think it's fair to say that they completely failed just because they haven't done very well in the playoffs.

maybe we (as wings fans) have a bit of a different perspective because of this team's perpetual success. i'm a tigers fan, too, and i still really enjoy watching/listening to their games even on years they don't even make the playoffs. yeah, their trip to the world series was great, and the memories of that season give me hope, and that's what makes following them fun, even when they "fail."

*shrug* just my $0.02.

Oh come on, get off your high horse. What makes you think they'd have said the same about us? At the end of the day, hockey is about winning and showing no mercy to your opponent. Do you think if they carried this "I'm sorry about their teams status" mentality they would have won 4 straight games? f*** no they could care less. Sportsmanship and respect is shaking your opponents hand after a series, not this sappy "good job for battling through some hard times" GUESS WHAT they're getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for this! they have their fans to feel sorry them, and that is more than enough.

I think the point of her post was directed at some of the fans' comments. Yes the team players make a lot of money and they are playing to win, that is the point of the game. But at the same time, people have lost that respect for others by showing good sportsmanship. There is no need to come into this thread and give your negative opinion - as she state we have other threads for that. THOSE comments are an example of poor sportsmanship by us.

I don't like Jovanovski, I don't like Doan all that much, but some posts in here need a reality check.

First with some of the manly or there's no crying b.s. that I've seen off/on the past few days. Get off the "Oh I'm so tough" or "Men can't cry" crap mentality. People want to win. They want to excel at their jobs. When they put a maximum effort into it and still come up short and it is ultimately the end, you are going to be frustrated and sad that it is all over. I've seen high school players cry knowing their season or playing careers are over, all the way up to the professional athlete, like we saw with Doan the final game. The whole crying or showing emotion is not manly stance is stupid and a bunch of bulls**t. Again I don't like Doan all that much, I think he plays recklessly for his own good at times, but there is no doubt how much he cared about trying to do well, his job, and his team and the Phoenix area. Showing emotion when it is all done, either if you are happy or sad, is not a sign of weakness.

Basically just don't be a d**k about things when it isn't deserved. Am I glad the Wings swept the Coyotes? Without question. Am I glad they showed a no mercy approach or whatever on the ice? Of course. Overall was the Phoenix team a bunch of jerks or their fans senseless or whatever? Didn't look like it to me. So, don't be d**ks back to them then.

You can have fun in playoff matchups and rivalries and the like without being a dips**t. Celebrate quietly or with sportsmanship, you get the idea.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

you're right. theyre job is to play hockey. thats what they did.

My main reason for complimenting them on their season is this:

They had to deal with the possibility of life changing bulls*** all season long, and for the last 2 seasons, really. I dont care if they make 200k or 7m per year. Do you know how gut wrenching that s*** must have been for them? Their house, family, kids in school, having to relocate, etc, is tough on ANYBODY regardless of how much money they make. THATS why i feel the way i do for them. I understand thats kind of the life of a professional athlete, but not to this extent. its EVERYONE on the locker room, not just a handful of guys. They all felt that way.

Im not in the military nor have i been, but im sure moving from base to base or whatever would suck, and they do it for peanuts. That doesnt mean i cant feel for people that are millionaires that have to deal w/ it.

i don't totally disagree with this post, but i think it represents one of two different perspectives fans and observers (and players and management, i suppose)can take. one contends that winning whatever championship you're after is simply "doing your job" and that anything else is "failing."

That's not the dichotomy I was talking about. If you want to argue that finishing in the top 8 of 13 teams is "success", I am willing to entertain that debate, though I doubt I will agree with you. However, if you are seriously trying to tell me that getting swept in the first round by a team that you took to 7 games the year before is something besides failure, I probably won't be able to agree. They are the only team swept in the first round. I suppose they got the revenue from two playoff games, which is good.