• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:25 AM

I cannot get a quote to back up what was said on the air today, but the NHL contract could lead to a 6 million dollar cap increase next season...

I am all for reinvesting it in our youngsters and just taking care of everyone... I know many people will want more than that.

So to keep us busy for the next week, what would you spend the extra money on?

Assume that Holland brings back everyone at the same salary, and use the extra money let us say 6 million flat. What would you do?

Trade, UFA, or RFA who would you add if you assume no other changes in the salary or roster?

To help, here is a list of available players. best I could find.

Would the Wings take a run at a Semin through trade? Bogo through RFA? or Kaberle through UFA?
You tell me.

Have fun.

(I don't see much of anyone I really would go after. I have a short list myself.)
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#2 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:48 AM

Shea Weber.

#3 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

I'd personally like to see another slot scorer ala Hull or Shanny on this team. With Z and Dats and even Bert and Mule to set these guys up, the Wings could conceivably have a 50 goal scorer.
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#4 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

Ryane Clowe
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#5 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:20 AM

Shea Weber.

How much would you spend on that?

I'd personally like to see another slot scorer ala Hull or Shanny on this team. With Z and Dats and even Bert and Mule to set these guys up, the Wings could conceivably have a 50 goal scorer.

Such as?

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#6 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

Shea Webber without a doubt. Bryz to back up Howard.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

Shea Weber.

This. Would be a solid replacement for Lids when he decides to hang it up. Would be more of a replacement when/if Rafalski decides to go.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#8 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:21 AM

This. Would be a solid replacement for Lids when he decides to hang it up. Would be more of a replacement when/if Rafalski decides to go.

If Lidstrom retires at the end of the season, you can bet that the Wings will make a play for Weber.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#9 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

If Lidas retires, go for an elite DMan.

Otherwise invest it in a Brooks Laich or a sniping fast winger for Filppula.

If those don't pan out, lock up our players or just save it for the trade deadline.

Ps, Shea Weber won't be coming here. Nashville will have a buttload of cap space to pay him 10mil+ if any team tries and offer sheet.

Sutter might be the more probable guy we could get from them.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#10 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:21 AM

I wouldn't think we could outbid for Weber. Besides the point of this is to talk about what you would do with 6 million. I doubt Weber would take only 6 million even if he was UFA.

Edited by Majsheppard, 25 April 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#11 OldMan333

OldMan333

Attitudes Are Contagious

• 49 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Time to replace Ozzie with a good $1.5M backup. Maybe the plan all along was to pick up Nabokov over the summer. Replace Madano/Draper with a good sized sniper at $2-$4M -- not sure who that would be though.

#12 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

Nabakov/Bryzgalov for goal.

Weber or Yandle (not sure if he's an unrestricted free agent or not, probably not) for defense.

Too many choices for forwards. A legit second line scoring winger, sniper preferably.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#13 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

D has to be a priority. Kindl is the only D signed past the end of next season.

Get Lids on a one-year deal, lock Kronwall up long term this summer and then start prioritizing from there.

#14 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

Wisniewski, Nabokov. A ligit sniper....hmmmmm, not sure who is available on the cheap. If somehow Chicago buys out Hossa and then we can sign him for about $2M (since Chicago will be pay a portion of his salary) that would be nice, but Kopecky is a UFA, so we'd probably have to pick him back up.... Then it would be too crowded...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#15 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

Wisniewski, Nabokov. A ligit sniper....hmmmmm, not sure who is available on the cheap. If somehow Chicago buys out Hossa and then we can sign him for about $2M (since Chicago will be pay a portion of his salary) that would be nice, but Kopecky is a UFA, so we'd probably have to pick him back up.... Then it would be too crowded...

Have I been missing something? Why on earth would Chicago buy out Hossa.

#16 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

I raised the cap $3MIL for next season. With Lidstrom, just plugging in our free agent players, we would have one spot open with around $3.8 million in cap space.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)
/ Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Kris Draper ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($2.000m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,542,044; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,857,956

Without Lidstrom, I see two spots open with around $10 million in cap space.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)
/ Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Kris Draper ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($2.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
/ Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,342,044; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $10,057,956

#17 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

I mentioned a few month ago that the cap was projected to rise 3-4 mil for the next season, now with this new deal, it should bump up another 1-2 mil.

This team is already SCF legit, we could use a better back end of our DCore and more wingers who can score-20-30 goals without being a defensive liability. If they are mean and nasty or soft and squishy I don't care, as long as they get results. Imagine having a set of six 20 goal wingers to play outside of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Filppula while keeping Eaves/Helm/Abdelkader on the fourth line. That's one line-up i would put money on to win the cup.

Let Salei walk and trade Ericsson for some decent picks and get a defensive defensman for the 4/5 spot that actually loves hitting and has a mean streak. I love Big Rig, but he plays like a Tonka Play Truck and I think he is replaceable with a much higher cap.

Get a steady back up goalie for no more than 1.5mil to help push Howie and help him grow.

With these adjustments I think we can pot 280+ goals a season while giving up about 40-50 less goals a season. While our defense might not improve as much, our offense would thrive and keep the other team out of our zone because we would have the puck down in the opponents zone most the time.

If Lidas retires, just forget everything I just said lol.

GO WINGS!!!!!!!! GO LGW.COM!!!!!!!!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#18 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

Teemu Selanne as I feel he may still be playing when Tatar retires.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#19 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

ALEXI YASHIN!

:ph34r:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#20 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

ALEXI YASHIN!

:ph34r:

This would literally solve all our problems!!! maybe try and get Kovalev as well?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank