• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Big TV, Big Cap

Rate this topic

I cannot get a quote to back up what was said on the air today, but the NHL contract could lead to a 6 million dollar cap increase next season...

I am all for reinvesting it in our youngsters and just taking care of everyone... I know many people will want more than that.

So to keep us busy for the next week, what would you spend the extra money on?

Assume that Holland brings back everyone at the same salary, and use the extra money let us say 6 million flat. What would you do?

Trade, UFA, or RFA who would you add if you assume no other changes in the salary or roster?

To help, here is a list of available players. best I could find.

Would the Wings take a run at a Semin through trade? Bogo through RFA? or Kaberle through UFA?

You tell me.

Have fun.

(I don't see much of anyone I really would go after. I have a short list myself.)

Shea Weber.

How much would you spend on that?

I'd personally like to see another slot scorer ala Hull or Shanny on this team. With Z and Dats and even Bert and Mule to set these guys up, the Wings could conceivably have a 50 goal scorer.

Such as?

This. Would be a solid replacement for Lids when he decides to hang it up. Would be more of a replacement when/if Rafalski decides to go.

If Lidstrom retires at the end of the season, you can bet that the Wings will make a play for Weber.

If Lidas retires, go for an elite DMan.

Otherwise invest it in a Brooks Laich or a sniping fast winger for Filppula.

If those don't pan out, lock up our players or just save it for the trade deadline.

Ps, Shea Weber won't be coming here. Nashville will have a buttload of cap space to pay him 10mil+ if any team tries and offer sheet.

Sutter might be the more probable guy we could get from them.

Time to replace Ozzie with a good $1.5M backup. Maybe the plan all along was to pick up Nabokov over the summer. Replace Madano/Draper with a good sized sniper at $2-$4M -- not sure who that would be though.

Nabakov/Bryzgalov for goal.

Weber or Yandle (not sure if he's an unrestricted free agent or not, probably not) for defense.

Too many choices for forwards. A legit second line scoring winger, sniper preferably.

D has to be a priority. Kindl is the only D signed past the end of next season.

Get Lids on a one-year deal, lock Kronwall up long term this summer and then start prioritizing from there.

Wisniewski, Nabokov. A ligit sniper....hmmmmm, not sure who is available on the cheap. If somehow Chicago buys out Hossa and then we can sign him for about $2M (since Chicago will be pay a portion of his salary) that would be nice, but Kopecky is a UFA, so we'd probably have to pick him back up.... Then it would be too crowded...

Wisniewski, Nabokov. A ligit sniper....hmmmmm, not sure who is available on the cheap. If somehow Chicago buys out Hossa and then we can sign him for about $2M (since Chicago will be pay a portion of his salary) that would be nice, but Kopecky is a UFA, so we'd probably have to pick him back up.... Then it would be too crowded...

Have I been missing something? Why on earth would Chicago buy out Hossa.

I raised the cap $3MIL for next season. With Lidstrom, just plugging in our free agent players, we would have one spot open with around $3.8 million in cap space.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)

/ Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Kris Draper ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($2.000m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,542,044; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,857,956

Without Lidstrom, I see two spots open with around $10 million in cap space.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)

/ Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Kris Draper ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($2.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

/ Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,342,044; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $10,057,956

I mentioned a few month ago that the cap was projected to rise 3-4 mil for the next season, now with this new deal, it should bump up another 1-2 mil.

This team is already SCF legit, we could use a better back end of our DCore and more wingers who can score-20-30 goals without being a defensive liability. If they are mean and nasty or soft and squishy I don't care, as long as they get results. Imagine having a set of six 20 goal wingers to play outside of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Filppula while keeping Eaves/Helm/Abdelkader on the fourth line. That's one line-up i would put money on to win the cup.

Let Salei walk and trade Ericsson for some decent picks and get a defensive defensman for the 4/5 spot that actually loves hitting and has a mean streak. I love Big Rig, but he plays like a Tonka Play Truck and I think he is replaceable with a much higher cap.

Get a steady back up goalie for no more than 1.5mil to help push Howie and help him grow.

With these adjustments I think we can pot 280+ goals a season while giving up about 40-50 less goals a season. While our defense might not improve as much, our offense would thrive and keep the other team out of our zone because we would have the puck down in the opponents zone most the time.

If Lidas retires, just forget everything I just said lol.

GO WINGS!!!!!!!! GO LGW.COM!!!!!!!!

I'd like to take a stab at Weber, if that can't happen then Joni Pitkanen maybe?

I'm really hoping for Lidstrom comes back for one more year and go after a UFA in Brent Burns next year.

Other than that I'd guess we could try for a Brooks Laich or Andrew Brunette. More depth has never hurt anybody.

Why not throw 4 mil at Brad Richards and see if he wants to play for a perennial contender?

And then after NEXT year we go after Weber when he is an UFA (if he signs for 1 year this summer). He can step right in for Lidstrom so we can throw 6-7 mil at him.

Edited by redwinger4747