• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Big TV, Big Cap

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

I would add a few rooms to the house, pool table, few shooter arcade games, bar, and have my own personal Dave & Busters. Oh right, then I'd spend the rest on the Red Wings.

Edited by Shoreline

Shea Weber.

Also If Nick retires and we have a bit more... sign a depth forward....to replace Modano..

then keep the rest for a trade deadline deal .... it is OK to have cap room!

OH and maybe look for a reasonably priced back up for Howie!

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

who would be a reasonably priced backup for howard? We are paying him 2.25 now, not like we can have that riding the bench night after night

I wouldn't mind seeing Johan Hedberg here.

Mursak is the replacement for Modano. Draper wants back for another year, and I'm not sure with the way he has played this year, that you can say no to him.

This would mean Emmerton would be lost on waivers. I think Emmerton is better than Ritola, but Losing him would not be the end of the world.

Lidstrom has given more hints be is playing next year than he normally does, so I think he is staying. So the defense either stands pat, or they let Salei go for Smith.

I think Holland is going to be in a position to make a trade or two, unless he wants to sit on several million dollars worth of cap space.

Trade Kindl & Hudler for picks/Nabakov (not necessarily to the same team or as a package.) Get Wisniewski, let Salei go, bring up Smith. Bring up Murask and Emmerton, let Draper retire. Re-sign Miller & Eaves (longer terms this time, they've earned it.) If Lids wants back, who are we to argue :lol: and let Modano retire (hopefully after becoming a Stanley Cup Champion again.) With the increase in cap, losing Kindl and Hudler salary, you would have plenty of cap space open for injury call ups and trade deadline acquisitions...

(note, these are not real line combos, this is just how capgeek listed them)

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Drew Miller ($1.000m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($1.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.000m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $65,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,978,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,421,289

With the "kids" coming up, you will save lots of cap space...

Well I wouldn't keep Salei, I may get flamed for this but I really didn't see a whole lot of contributing during the regualr season or in the playoffs so far. So having his salary and the 6 mil I'd invest in another goal scorer or possibly a very strong defenseman and a stable back-up for Jimmy.

Every team also gets a chunk of that TV revenue, that's why the cap would be going up.

Yea but, the floor is why 10 teams are almost bankrupt. Teams can't keep up with the increasing floor.

Personally I think they should allow teams to go under the floor, but if they do, they can't get in on revenue sharing.

Yea but, the floor is why 10 teams are almost bankrupt. Teams can't keep up with the increasing floor.

Personally I think they should allow teams to go under the floor, but if they do, they can't get in on revenue sharing.

Then there goes parody. If they can make major profits in Nashville and Tampa Bay, every team should be able to make profits...minus the Yote's.

Conservative estimates of the cap going up only 5mil instead of 6mil.

Just for kicks and giggles I made one of these. Hudler gets traded for picks/cap relief. Wings bring in Frolov to be Filppula's winger and Upshall in to bring even more speed to the line-up and some good hitting and great depth scoring. Roman Hamrlik comes in to provide decent scoring while not sacrificing defense. If we don't get him then no biggie.

Mo and Draper retire. Lidas take a 200K paycut because he is nice. We bring in Jason Labarberra to back up Howie, and if that doesn't work we sign Daniel Larsson to an ELC saving us more money.

Emmerton and Ericsson/Kindl will be trade deadline bait.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Alexander Frolov ($2.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Scottie Upshall ($2.550m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.150m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Roman Hamrlik ($4.500m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($1.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Jason Labarbera ($1.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,167,044; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $232,956

With all this and assuming we get Larsson instead of Labarbera, Hamrlik signs elsewhere and trading away or waiving Emmerton and/or trading one of Kindl/Ericsson, we are looking at a possible fun trade deadline with a tonne of coinage to use.

I'd like to take a stab at Weber, if that can't happen then Joni Pitkanen maybe?

I'm really hoping for Lidstrom comes back for one more year and go after a UFA in Brent Burns next year.

Other than that I'd guess we could try for a Brooks Laich or Andrew Brunette. More depth has never hurt anybody.

Pitkanen is my first choice of UFA defensemen, followed by Ehrhoff.

Given the cap space available I would do this if possible:

If Lidstrom re-signs: Re-sign Lidstrom, Ericsson, Eaves and Miller, promote Emmerton and Mursak, sign Pitkanen and Ehrhoff to replace Salei. Trade Stuart for a physical top-six forward.

Lidstrom/Ehrhoff

Kronwall/Ericsson

Pitkanen/Rafalski

Kindl

If Lidstrom retires: Re-sign Ericsson, Eaves and Miller, promote Emmerton and Mursak, sign Pitkanen, Ehrhoff, and Kaberle to replace Lidstrom, Salei. Trade Stuart for a physical top-six forward.

Kronwall/Ericsson

Pitkanen/Rafalski

Kaberle/Ehrhoff

Kindl

If Lidstrom re-signs: Re-sign Lidstrom, Ericsson, Eaves and Miller, promote Emmerton and Mursak, sign Pitkanen and Ehrhoff to replace Salei. Trade Stuart for a physical top-six forward.

Lidstrom/Ehrhoff

Kronwall/Ericsson

Pitkanen/Rafalski

Kindl

If Lidstrom retires: Re-sign Ericsson, Eaves and Miller, promote Emmerton and Mursak, sign Pitkanen, Ehrhoff, and Kaberle to replace Lidstrom, Salei. Trade Stuart for a physical top-six forward.

Kronwall/Ericsson

Pitkanen/Rafalski

Kaberle/Ehrhoff

Kindl

I'm not usually the type to post something like this, but that defense is soft as hell. You don't need seven puck movers, especially with Smith waiting in the wings. You need some muscle on the blue line. I don't know why you're so open to dumping Stuart; he's been a rock defensively.

Trade Kindl & Hudler for picks/Nabakov (not necessarily to the same team or as a package.) Get Wisniewski, let Salei go, bring up Smith. Bring up Murask and Emmerton, let Draper retire. Re-sign Miller & Eaves (longer terms this time, they've earned it.) If Lids wants back, who are we to argue :lol: and let Modano retire (hopefully after becoming a Stanley Cup Champion again.) With the increase in cap, losing Kindl and Hudler salary, you would have plenty of cap space open for injury call ups and trade deadline acquisitions...

Yeah, because he really wants to. Basically what you're saying is 'MAKE' Drapes retire

I know this post is about having fun and dreaming about possible additions, but the reality is that all the other teams will now have the same amount of extra cap space. This is going to make the FA market overly competitive and teams ARE going to overspend for mediocre talent. The Redwings, as constituted have a top five team w/o the luxury of cap space for trade deadline moves. Win or lose this year, I would love to see them bring back the core of this team next year, let all the other teams shoot their wad in free agency, and then come trade deadline, we will have a good idea of where the biggest needs are, and the Wings will have the pick of the litter. Inevitably, there will be small market team who will overpay in FA, and come trade deadline will be looking to dump salary for minimal return. Obviously if Lids retires, that would dictate them at least spending some of that space on a second line D man, with the possibility of picking up another D at the trade deadline.

I know this post is about having fun and dreaming about possible additions, but the reality is that all the other teams will now have the same amount of extra cap space. This is going to make the FA market overly competitive and teams ARE going to overspend for mediocre talent. The Redwings, as constituted have a top five team w/o the luxury of cap space for trade deadline moves. Win or lose this year, I would love to see them bring back the core of this team next year, let all the other teams shoot their wad in free agency, and then come trade deadline, we will have a good idea of where the biggest needs are, and the Wings will have the pick of the litter. Inevitably, there will be small market team who will overpay in FA, and come trade deadline will be looking to dump salary for minimal return. Obviously if Lids retires, that would dictate them at least spending some of that space on a second line D man, with the possibility of picking up another D at the trade deadline.

Solid solid first post and I do agree with you on teams overpaying for talent, but that happens every year. Bret Lebda got 1.5mil a year, Finger got 3mil, look at the Rangers. But on a side note....

We don't take kindly to strangers round' here

lens9945011_1268359381heyy.png

Solid solid first post and I do agree with you on teams overpaying for talent, but that happens every year. Bret Lebda got 1.5mil a year, Finger got 3mil, look at the Rangers. But on a side note....

We don't take kindly to strangers round' here

lens9945011_1268359381heyy.png

Actually, I used to post on here a couple years ago, I went for awhile without and then I couldn't figure out my login info, so finally I broke down and re-registered......I'm a long time wings fan stuck in NE Ohio ( a NHL waste land where when people find out I'm a Wings fan, they look at me like I have a third eye or something. "hockey? why would you like hockey, when you can root for the Indians, Browns, or Cavs?".....uh, isn't that pretty self explanatory?) I grew up in the most beautiful spots this side of heaven (Traverse City, MI ), now I live in the middle of cornfields and Walmarts.

Yeah, because he really wants to. Basically what you're saying is 'MAKE' Drapes retire

They MADE Maltby retire... Is keeping Draper worth losing Emmerton?

And Hank, I will continue to wish Hudler gone until he is gone. So yes, Trade Hudler...

Wisniewski is making $3.2 right now, it only makes sense that he will get a raise, that is why I put $4M, if he would sign for less, super! Either way, Wisniewski and Smith on D is better than Salei and Kindl...

Murask and Emmerton held not lost to waiver wire is better than keeping Hudler and re-signing Draper.... It's time to get younger and more tenacious and move on....