• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Mike Modano

Rate this topic

He's had a frustrating season, no doubt about it. I was curiously interested and happy the Wings signed him but I certainly understood either people's frustrations with him this season or reasons why the Wings shouldn't have signed him.

He could have easily thrown a temper tantrum or whatever for not being on the regular roster these first few games, but didn't (I am assuming) and he stepped in and played a fantastic game in limited minutes, helping in a part of a goal, and drawing a penalty leading to a PP goal.

Who knows if, or when might be a better word, he's the odd man out when Zetterberg and Franzen get back but he looks to not be messing around or being lazy and just shows how ridiculous the Wings depth can be.

I hope we don't see him the rest of the playoffs and that's to NO fault of his, but rather because it will mean we have remained healthy.

With that said, he has been a consummate professional this season and even though he probably should've hung them up, it's admirable that he fought back after the injury and is looking like an NHL caliber player (unfortunately for him, we have too many MORE NHL caliber players above him on the depth chart)

Wish nothing but the best for him, hope his name is on the cup after this year. However I would rather have any of the following in the lineup (Z and mule excluded):

Abby

Eaves

Miller

Hudler

Abby needs to be a permanent fixture in this roster, and so don't Eaves and Miller. (All 3 should get multi year deals with Wings, imo)

Hudler has been playing hard, doing the right thing with the puck, he has shown he can be a sniper.

Modano has shown that he is just not ready for this roster. I think had he played an entire season he would be better suited. But as is, he looks like he lacks a chemistry with anyone other than Dats. But then again, I attribute that to Dats.

assuming he is that old he would still be No. 1 center on a team link Phoenix. It is a shame that they have Belanger and Fiddler centering their top two line. I like our depth.

Was disappointed to see him start, but right off the hop he had energy. Unfortunately he sort of disappeared as the game went on, but good way to bounce back. The test with him this season has been: will he keep it up? Or will he go back to being lazy?

I think he realizes by now that he should of retired. He wasn't entirely sure that he wanted to be back, and that should have been a telling sign to stay away.

And I'm not surprised he didn't make a big stink about it. Those things don't happen very often in Hockeytown. Besides, he knows that he's not that good anymore.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I am a long-time Modano fan and am not at all surprised to see how he's handling a season of disappointments which would have embittered a lesser player and lesser person. He's handling everything perfectly. I would have expected no less from him.

Mike deserves a place on this team and a Cup with Detroit. I hope he gets it. :thumbup:

We really have to appreciate the depth of this team. Sweeping a series without Z, and winning game 4 without Mule, that says a LOT about how deep this team is, and how hungry they are to win. It's been a tough year for Modano, and I don't know how much he'll be in the lineup throughout. Everyone on the team seems to be playing well, even down to players who are rarely credited, like Miller.

Yeah, I definitely liked how hard he worked last night. I wish he'd gotten to play a whole season with the Wings...just when he was finally starting to get used to playing with the Wings, he gets injured, and because of that, he just doesn't have the chemistry built up with the other guys. Anyway, for not getting to play much this year, you can tell he's really doing the best he can right now and being pro about it, and I appreciate that.

I am a long-time Modano fan and am not at all surprised to see how he's handling a season of disappointments which would have embittered a lesser player and lesser person. He's handling everything perfectly. I would have expected no less from him.

Mike deserves a place on this team and a Cup with Detroit. I hope he gets it. :thumbup:

He competes. He's got more heart than Helm and that's saying something.

IF we win the Cup, obviously Modano will retire. Now, Bertuzzi and Holmstrom both have a year left on their contracts after this year. Anyone think one or both of them retire after this year (This is IF we win the Cup)? We'd have a few holes to fill. Not to mention whether Lidstrom and Draper would be content with retiring with a Cup. Just a thought.

assuming mule and Z start the second round, i'd guess Mo is out, at least to start.

my question is: what if we go down, say, 2-0 or even 2-1, and guys like Miller, Draper, or even Hudler aren't showing anything good? does Mike get another chance if we're losing games and need, say, help on the powerplay or it seems like the guys would need some leadership?

He competes. He's got more heart than Helm and that's saying something.

This is in no way a knock on Modano but more heart than Helm?! Have you watched the playoffs, Helm leads the Wings in hits, he has been one of our best players night in and out, just not on the score sheet.

In the only game they played together if we are measuring heart it's Helm > Modano.

But Modano is a great player, and he does skate fast, I think it's all the back checking that gets him.

assuming mule and Z start the second round, i'd guess Mo is out, at least to start.

my question is: what if we go down, say, 2-0 or even 2-1, and guys like Miller, Draper, or even Hudler aren't showing anything good? does Mike get another chance if we're losing games and need, say, help on the powerplay or it seems like the guys would need some leadership?

I would guess that roster changes would come due to either injury or a loss or two, depending on how we lost. This is pretty much the norm. If we make it deep into the playoffs I expect Mike will get another chance, it will be up to him to make sure Babcock simply can't take him out again.

IF we win the Cup, obviously Modano will retire. Now, Bertuzzi and Holmstrom both have a year left on their contracts after this year. Anyone think one or both of them retire after this year (This is IF we win the Cup)? We'd have a few holes to fill. Not to mention whether Lidstrom and Draper would be content with retiring with a Cup. Just a thought.

Will Modano even get his name on the Cup?

I don't think he's qualified in terms of games played.

Will Modano even get his name on the Cup?

I don't think he's qualified in terms of games played.

Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.

He would be an exception...he missed the regular season GP by one game.

Edited by Booster313

Why does he deserve a spot? Because he is Mike Modano? He deserves to get his chance to show that he deserves a spot over someone else when the Wings are healthy and he hasn't really done that imo. Given a choice between him and Eaves and/or Miller. I take the two latter right now. I definitely wouldn't sit Draper for him.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Hudler ride the pine for a couple games to give Mo a legitimate shot.

Edited by Broken 16