• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Ilya Bryzgalov

Rate this topic

He was easily the Coyotes MVP througout the season, but he really struggled in the four game sweep against Detroit. Cleary's winner was basically a nutshell of how the series went for him. Let's say the Coyotes do stay in Phoenix - will Bryzgalov be a part of their team next season? How much could he command on the open market this off-season?

As you said, Bryz is their best player. Very often does his play in net determine if the Coyotes win or lose, and that is not the best thing to have. The Coyotes will have to make it worth his while to stay in Phoenix, because they don't have a chance in hell without him or another goaltender of equal skill/quality. Does he want the money or will he take a little less to play for a contender? Let's be honest the Yotes are not contenders right now. He's the only guy who knows that.

If he wants money, it has to be Phoenix. He really just dropped his value down, and with the trends in goaltending no one wants to pay a tender 5+ million. I once thought TB would make a move on him or Volks, but I don't think 5 million dollars is going to be dealt out.

Bryz will want to make more money than now, and he just played himself into a paycut... I think he might be waiting a while for a job if he decides he is sick of the Desert.

If he wants money, it has to be Phoenix. He really just dropped his value down, and with the trends in goaltending no one wants to pay a tender 5+ million. I once thought TB would make a move on him or Volks, but I don't think 5 million dollars is going to be dealt out.

Bryz will want to make more money than now, and he just played himself into a paycut... I think he might be waiting a while for a job if he decides he is sick of the Desert.

He sure seemed like Doan last night, upset and not wanting to leave the ice. Whether that has to do with being disappointed that the season was over or being upset that Phoenix might not have a team next season, I don't know.

Short Answer:

I don't blame Bryz nearly as much as his D. They almost never helped him out.

Long Answer:

There are very few game changing netminders in the playoffs, Luongo & Miller. The rest is a talented group, but have never been great for as long of periods as these two.

Bryz was close to getting there, but he has to be the team, he comes up clutch in the Reg season, but in the playoffs too many goals are ugly garbage goals where he could have used a D-man to pull it off the line, or not kick one in.

He can't count on his team when things break down, most of their d-men are offensive minded, adding to the problem.

But look around the playoffs(no particular order):

Price

Rinne

Howard

Quick

Thomas

etc...

None of those names jump out at you(Post season play I am talking about), that was what gave me confidence in the Wings riding Howard, he fits in that group just fine, some may be a little better, some are a little worse.

But the teams that worried me were Van and Pho (in the west) because of the netminding.

But again no one helped Bryz.

The point to this rant, I expected a lot from Bryz, and for the most part he was out of his mind.

He was stellar, until the play broke down and when he needed his D to step up they failed.

Cleary's goal was an epitome of that. Clears is in the zone in the corner of the boards with 3 defenders around him and the Wings in the middle of a line change(Bert's getting to the bench was a funny clip btw).

No one goes after Cleary, you can tell Bryz thinks there is a Wing on the back door as he is sliding over there once Cleary shoots.

If a defender plays Cleary, does the play work out differently, who knows.

The Bert goal as well. Bert made a good move behind the net, but the Pho defender tried to play the puck instead of Bert.

Bert wraps the puck around the net, Bryz covers the net and the shot is going wide, until a Yote D-man kicks it in. Ok maybe it hit his skate, but still.

Bryz had them in the game stoning Bert especially many times. Then their play in their own zone broke down. Too me they were far to worried about the break out pass as opposed to defending their zone.

Guest Heaten

Bryz really should take a pay cut and come to Detroit. Holland should pursue him in the offseason and make it happen. Having two number 1's is never a bad thing. Split time and have a friendly competition between the two. As for the postseason, Bryz's confidence was as good as the team in front of him. He'd excel with a Wings jersey on. :thumbup:

$3.5 million per for 5 years seem fair to play for a cup contender every year?

Bryz really should take a pay cut and come to Detroit. Holland should pursue him in the offseason and make it happen. Having two number 1's is never a bad thing. Split time and have a friendly competition between the two. As for the postseason, Bryz's confidence was as good as the team in front of him. He'd excel with a Wings jersey on. :thumbup:

That would mean bidding goodbye to Osgood. *waits for goalie war*

Guest Heaten

That would mean bidding goodbye to Osgood. *waits for goalie war*

Osgood and Modano, actually. That would free up $3 million. Also, Draper will have to take a pay cut (currently making $1.5million). Mursak and Emmerton are ready to play or be lost to waivers...

Abby and Helm are 3rd liners now. Mursak and Emmerton can take 4th line duties...

Osgood and Modano, actually. That would free up $3 million. Also, Draper will have to take a pay cut (currently making $1.5million). Mursak and Emmerton are ready to play or be lost to waivers...

Abby and Helm are 3rd liners now. Mursak and Emmerton can take 4th line duties...

GOD FORBID but if Lidstrom retires wouldn't that free up another 7 mil? i was hoping we could go after big buff but flippin atlanta locked him up for good.

Edited by CAredwingsfan91

I don't think we have enough room for a 3+ mil goalie, if he honestly wants a chance at the cup Detroit is obviously the number one choice, being cup contenders here for well about a decade. If they do infact go to Winnipeg i'm not sure if Doan will follow, even though it was his drafted team and played for the Jet's before they became the Yotes. Although, having good friends would be nice too, pavel and bryz rolleyes.gif

Would not mind having him but most number 1 goalies have a problem sharing or taking a back seat.

I felt bad for Bryz. At times the Wings made him look bad but the Phoenix team in general was vastly inferior to Detroit. Phoenix had good work ethic but not much talent, at least not compared to a seasoned lineup like Detroit. How do you stop a team that 13 different goal scorers hurt you in 4 games?

Guys keep in mind Homer is getting older as well and we will definitely need to find a replacement for him. He's a key to the wings offense. I would actually have liked to pick up Bufoogaly googaly when he got traded or released whatever, from Chicago. Price tag was too high though, but invaluable player.

When they let him go (chicago) i couldn't believe it.

Guest Heaten

I don't think we have enough room for a 3+ mil goalie, if he honestly wants a chance at the cup Detroit is obviously the number one choice, being cup contenders here for well about a decade. If they do infact go to Winnipeg i'm not sure if Doan will follow, even though it was his drafted team and played for the Jet's before they became the Yotes. Although, having good friends would be nice too, pavel and bryz rolleyes.gif

Why?

Wings have a lot of money coming off the books and have league minimum salaries coming in (Mursak and Emmerton) to fill those spots. If Mursak and Emmerton don't play, then Wings can lose them to waivers. They are too good to lose, especially Mursak. The kid reminds me of a Helm with hands and a goal scorers touch. Emmerton not too sure about.. he's definently an energy player that can score goals, too. Mursak and Emmerton have good chemistry together.

Bryzgalov doesn't want to go to Winnipeg; if he leaves Phoenix (regardless of whether the team moves) he may end up on the Isles, in New Jersey if Brodeur decides to retire, or perhaps on the Lightning.

If the Yotes move back to Winnipeg, who wants to bet on a trade that sees Khabibulin move back to the Jets?

The Wings didn't just sign Howard to two years, $2.25 million/ year to get a 60-65 game UFA goaltender who will command no less than $4 million this offseason.

Next year, I think we'll have Howard and one of Osgood/Conklin at a $1 million or less cap hit.

I think he (Bryzgalov) stays with the organziation. They're a 75-point team without him and Maloney knows it.

edit for clarification

Edited by mjlegend

The Wings didn't just sign Howard to two years, $2.25 million/ year to get a 60-65 game UFA goaltender who will command no less than $4 million this offseason.

Next year, I think we'll have Howard and one of Osgood/Conklin at a $1 million or less cap hit.

I think he (Bryzgalov) stays with the organziation. They're a 75-point team without him and Maloney knows it.

edit for clarification

What about Nabokov

Guest Crymson

Long Answer:

There are very few game changing netminders in the playoffs, Luongo & Miller. The rest is a talented group, but have never been great for as long of periods as these two.

... both of whom have had some horrendous games thus far.

... both of whom have had some horrendous games thus far.

Uhh yeah both of those goalies have done jack s*** in the playoffs, so until they win a cup the verdict is out on both of those goalies, Luongo and Miller.

I still think Luongo is overrated. We'll see this year.

From Toronto Sun :

And if he's going to put up with that, he'd rather be back home.

So if the Coyotes move to Winnipeg, Bryzgalov says chances are he wouldn't listen to a contract offer from the new owners.

"Probably not. I better go to somewhere in Russia, KHL, to be honest. Because KHL is Russian people, it's family, friends. Even as a cold place, I can speak to people in Russian language."

A 4 game series isn't indicative of what kind of goalie Bryz is. I don't think his performance these playoffs will really hurt how much he will make next year if he decides to stay in the NHL somewhere. He is a great goaltender and with the right team (the current Yotes/Jets team is not going to cut it) he can take them to a Cup.

HA, another Russian who took a dump in the playoffs, so hes going to go run to the KHL and Mother Russia. Good riddance, I hope he does leave. Phoenipeg Jetotes deserved a playoff goalie performance and they got a preseason one.