• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kira

Lidstrom nominated for Lady Byng

Rate this topic

Captain Nick Lidstrom has been nominated for the Lady Byng trophy, along with Martin St. Louis and Loui Ericksson of Dallas.

Say what you want about the Byng, but this is long overdue. We all know that Nick takes very few penalties, and should be a perennial nominee, but this is the first time he's gotten recognized for his efforts. I say congrats, and I hope he wins.

Methinks this is their way of apologizing for no Norris this year.

Methinks you are a tad quick on the trigger. I think this is just apologizing for not giving this to him his entire career. I can still see him getting the Norris and probably lose out to St. Louis considering he is never in the box, ever. Pav's fight is all it took to take it away from him.

Just read on Helm Street Lids is up for the Byng. Pretty Amazing stats. I'd liek to see a PIM/TOI comparison of the three... not that I'm going to do it myself... that sounds to much like the work I'm supposed to be doing.

Link

This would be just another notch on his belt if he got it. Also would be cool since it's rare for a defenseman to win this trophy. All in all it doesn't really matter to me if he wins or loses but why not add another trophy to the case for the greatest defenseman the NHL has ever seen.

EDIT: My bad... Didn't see the other thread. Long night.

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing

No kidding?! Cool! Congrats, Nick! Jolly good to see one of our other dignified gentlemen filling in for Mr. Datsyuk whilst he settled his dispute with Mr. Perry. Sometimes biting one's thumb at one's rival just isn't enough to express one's indignation at a certain offense.

That'll teach Datsyuk for getting into a fight.

It's been 57 years since a defenceman (Red Kelly) won it, and I can't think of a more deserving player to break that streak.

hmmm i wonder why there are so few defensemen

i don't get to see st. louis play that much (or ever, really) so i can't really comment on him, but it sure seems like lids epitomizes gentlemanly play. he's never dirty, will never hit a guy who's vulnerable, is rarely involved in and almost never initiates post-whistle scrums. makes perfect sense for him to get it in the late stages of his career.

Captain Nick Lidstrom has been nominated for the Lady Byng trophy, along with Martin St. Louis and Loui Ericksson of Dallas.

Say what you want about the Byng, but this is long overdue. We all know that Nick takes very few penalties, and should be a perennial nominee, but this is the first time he's gotten recognized for his efforts. I say congrats, and I hope he wins.

Long overdue, you might say, but this is the SIXTH TIME he has been a finalist. Definitely deserving, but no one in this thread has mentioned he's actually been recognized for his 'gentlemanly play' in the past.

hmmm i wonder why there are so few defensemen

Basically think of the Selke. What's sexier (in the voters eye) a guy who plays lights out defense and pots 40 points or a guy who scores 90 points and plays pretty good defense?

Now apply that to the entrie NHL. Two guys have 10-12 PIMS but one has 100 points and the other has 50. MSL definitely exemplifies this award, but so does Lidstrom. There are maybe 5 guys in the NHL that I know would never goon it up ever, two play for the Wings and one is MSL.

Edited by Konnan511