• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

Here's Ruutu's hit on Erat. Looks like pretty much nothing and is a little surprising Erat went down.

While I don't really mind Ruutu getting suspended because I'm sure he's done something to deserve it this year, getting it for this hit is a joke.

As a reminder, in Colin Campbell's eyes, Ruutu's hit warrants the same suspension as this:

Keep spinning the wheel Collie!

#2 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

Uhhh...

Seriously? I can't see a single thing wrong with that hit except Erat selling it Ribeiro style.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#3 Cevari

Cevari

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

As much as I dislike Ruutu I really can't see how that's even a penalty. Looks like a good hit to me. Frankly I don't know how Erat went down like that, either he got especially unlucky with the way that landed or he was busting out some ballerina moves to draw the penalty.

As for the suspension... Ruutu is a well-known pest / dirty player while Kunitz isn't exactly high on the Pens goon list, so that probably plays a part. It is silly though, the Kunitz elbow was a cowardly attempt to injure and if Gagne had pulled a Shakespeare performance on it it would've been more than one game. I despise this soccer mentality of embellishing everything in order to get an edge that's creeping in lately.

#4 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

Uhhh...

Seriously? I can't see a single thing wrong with that hit except Erat selling it Ribeiro style.

He didn't come back for the rest of the game, so the injury was apparently real. I can't really tell what from though, other than one of those fluky hits.

Personally I don't even know that it warranted the interference penalty. It was maybe a little late? But seems like within reason and the kind of hit that happens a lot in any given game.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 21 April 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#5 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

Erat didn't sell it, he never made it back to the game and in other replays and sort of this one, he does target the head. One game suspension is fine, anything more I wouldn't have liked it.

Plus, this hit was well after the pass (interference was the penalty), it reminds me of the hit on Hudler a couple playoffs ago. And Ruutu is a repeat offender as well.

Sidenote: Erat isn't playing tonight due to the hit.

If he didn't get suspended, i would have been ok with it and this one game suspension is ok by me also. I like the objectivity in the title, though Posted Image
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#6 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

By the book it was a blindside hit to the head. It wasn't nearly as vicious as the posterboy hits to the head we've seen in the past, but the league was being serious about eliminating head contact and that's what this is about.

#7 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

Bad suspension. I know who it is, and I know his history, but this is a case example of nitpicking hits. Not a blindside hit, not a head shot, not any of the other bulls*** NFL rules. f*** off with the ticky tack s***.

Edited by Shoreline, 21 April 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#8 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

Erat didn't sell it, he never made it back to the game and in other replays and sort of this one, he does target the head. One game suspension is fine, anything more I wouldn't have liked it.

Plus, this hit was well after the pass (interference was the penalty), it reminds me of the hit on Hudler a couple playoffs ago. And Ruutu is a repeat offender as well.

Sidenote: Erat isn't playing tonight due to the hit.

If he didn't get suspended, i would have been ok with it and this one game suspension is ok by me also. I like the objectivity in the title, though Posted Image

It was a little late, maybe, but hardly "well after the pass." Guys over on hfboards (and Bob McKenzie) have timed it out saying it was about .8 seconds after he makes the pass. The NHL standard is apparently half a second.

He got two for interference, that was enough. I think Ruutu is a gutless puke, but I don't see any evidence in that replay how that's targeting the head.

As for your sarcastic comment about the objectivity of the title, this is an internet fan forum, not a newspaper. We're all stating our opinions here. I stated mine in the title.

#9 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

Preds been diving all series long it is so aggravating it will be sooooo satisfying when ducks send them to the golf course
Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#10 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

It was a little late, maybe, but hardly "well after the pass." Guys over on hfboards (and Bob McKenzie) have timed it out saying it was about .8 seconds after he makes the pass. The NHL standard is apparently half a second.

He got two for interference, that was enough. I think Ruutu is a gutless puke, but I don't see any evidence in that replay how that's targeting the head.

As for your sarcastic comment about the objectivity of the title, this is an internet fan forum, not a newspaper. We're all stating our opinions here. I stated mine in the title.

What was the reason for the suspension? For blindside or head hit or injurying a player on an interference. I know there is some rule if you injury a guy on some call (boarding, interference, high stick?) it's an auto one gamer.

I say well after because he made the pass and it seemed a lot of time (.5 or .8, doesn't matter, just by the look of it it looked like more time than normal) went by before the hit. It's a hit that didn't need to be made and it looked high enough to me, looked like it was to the head.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#11 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

kunitz shoulda gotten a longer suspension like 3 games.

#12 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

At least.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#13 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

For what reason should Kunitz get more than what Heatley got?

#14 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

Because that would make perfect sense with the way the NHL does things.

#15 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

They both should've gotten more.

Heatley was a bad precedent used for Kunitz's elbow. It's a total non-hockey play and should be suspended severely.

#16 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

Close call. Anything more would've been over the top, in my opinion. It wasn't as vicious as we've seen. I've got no real strong opinion on this one.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#17 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:24 AM

Rightly or wrongly, under the new blindside hits to the head rule, this should really be a suspension. The problem is with how inconsistent that new rule seems to be.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#18 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:52 AM

yeah, it seemed a little late, but not dirty or blindside. elbows were down, didn't leave his feet, etc.

ruutu's history + injury + "crackdown" = suspension, i guess. seems a little weak. i'd be pissed if i were a ducks fan.

that being said, i hate the ducks, so f*** 'em. ;)

go wings.

#19 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

and tsn is glorifying the suspension, you were warned
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#20 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:56 AM

Where is that suspension chart i saw on here... once it was gold...

nvm i found it...

Posted Image

Edited by Duck Guy, 22 April 2011 - 03:56 AM.

Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas