• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Ruutu suspended for clean hit on Erat

Rate this topic

Here's Ruutu's hit on Erat. Looks like pretty much nothing and is a little surprising Erat went down.

While I don't really mind Ruutu getting suspended because I'm sure he's done something to deserve it this year, getting it for this hit is a joke.

As a reminder, in Colin Campbell's eyes, Ruutu's hit warrants the same suspension as this:

Keep spinning the wheel Collie!

As much as I dislike Ruutu I really can't see how that's even a penalty. Looks like a good hit to me. Frankly I don't know how Erat went down like that, either he got especially unlucky with the way that landed or he was busting out some ballerina moves to draw the penalty.

As for the suspension... Ruutu is a well-known pest / dirty player while Kunitz isn't exactly high on the Pens goon list, so that probably plays a part. It is silly though, the Kunitz elbow was a cowardly attempt to injure and if Gagne had pulled a Shakespeare performance on it it would've been more than one game. I despise this soccer mentality of embellishing everything in order to get an edge that's creeping in lately.

Uhhh...

Seriously? I can't see a single thing wrong with that hit except Erat selling it Ribeiro style.

He didn't come back for the rest of the game, so the injury was apparently real. I can't really tell what from though, other than one of those fluky hits.

Personally I don't even know that it warranted the interference penalty. It was maybe a little late? But seems like within reason and the kind of hit that happens a lot in any given game.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Erat didn't sell it, he never made it back to the game and in other replays and sort of this one, he does target the head. One game suspension is fine, anything more I wouldn't have liked it.

Plus, this hit was well after the pass (interference was the penalty), it reminds me of the hit on Hudler a couple playoffs ago. And Ruutu is a repeat offender as well.

Sidenote: Erat isn't playing tonight due to the hit.

If he didn't get suspended, i would have been ok with it and this one game suspension is ok by me also. I like the objectivity in the title, though rolleyes.gif

Guest Shoreline

Bad suspension. I know who it is, and I know his history, but this is a case example of nitpicking hits. Not a blindside hit, not a head shot, not any of the other bulls*** NFL rules. f*** off with the ticky tack s***.

Edited by Shoreline

Erat didn't sell it, he never made it back to the game and in other replays and sort of this one, he does target the head. One game suspension is fine, anything more I wouldn't have liked it.

Plus, this hit was well after the pass (interference was the penalty), it reminds me of the hit on Hudler a couple playoffs ago. And Ruutu is a repeat offender as well.

Sidenote: Erat isn't playing tonight due to the hit.

If he didn't get suspended, i would have been ok with it and this one game suspension is ok by me also. I like the objectivity in the title, though rolleyes.gif

It was a little late, maybe, but hardly "well after the pass." Guys over on hfboards (and Bob McKenzie) have timed it out saying it was about .8 seconds after he makes the pass. The NHL standard is apparently half a second.

He got two for interference, that was enough. I think Ruutu is a gutless puke, but I don't see any evidence in that replay how that's targeting the head.

As for your sarcastic comment about the objectivity of the title, this is an internet fan forum, not a newspaper. We're all stating our opinions here. I stated mine in the title.

It was a little late, maybe, but hardly "well after the pass." Guys over on hfboards (and Bob McKenzie) have timed it out saying it was about .8 seconds after he makes the pass. The NHL standard is apparently half a second.

He got two for interference, that was enough. I think Ruutu is a gutless puke, but I don't see any evidence in that replay how that's targeting the head.

As for your sarcastic comment about the objectivity of the title, this is an internet fan forum, not a newspaper. We're all stating our opinions here. I stated mine in the title.

What was the reason for the suspension? For blindside or head hit or injurying a player on an interference. I know there is some rule if you injury a guy on some call (boarding, interference, high stick?) it's an auto one gamer.

I say well after because he made the pass and it seemed a lot of time (.5 or .8, doesn't matter, just by the look of it it looked like more time than normal) went by before the hit. It's a hit that didn't need to be made and it looked high enough to me, looked like it was to the head.

Guest Shoreline

For what reason should Kunitz get more than what Heatley got?

Because that would make perfect sense with the way the NHL does things.

yeah, it seemed a little late, but not dirty or blindside. elbows were down, didn't leave his feet, etc.

ruutu's history + injury + "crackdown" = suspension, i guess. seems a little weak. i'd be pissed if i were a ducks fan.

that being said, i hate the ducks, so f*** 'em. ;)

Personally I don't even know that it warranted the interference penalty. It was maybe a little late? But seems like within reason and the kind of hit that happens a lot in any given game.

Yeah, my first thought was that it was a little late, but that's even hard to judge due to slow-motion replays skewing our perception. It's a borderline penalty and a ridiculous suspension. What Campbell is basically saying is that that hit was just as bad as Kunitz on Gagne. - which is obscene.

Yeah, my first thought was that it was a little late, but that's even hard to judge due to slow-motion replays skewing our perception. It's a borderline penalty and a ridiculous suspension. What Campbell is basically saying is that that hit was just as bad as Kunitz on Gagne. - which is obscene.

agreed, and i even like kunitz, 'cause he went to college in my hometown. but the dude smoked another player with his elbow, and even if he says it wasn't deliberate, it was a really, really bad mistake. way worse than Ruutu's hit, IMO.

Guest Shoreline

Hits to the head a bulls*** rule?

Yep, just like in the NFL, it's an unnecessary rule, and just like the NFL, it's just the beginning of a slew of other rules that will also fail to accomplish their goals because this is a naive way of idealizing and romanticizing a sport that is largely violent in nature, and throwing these stupid rules at it isn't going to make it less so -- it's only going to debilitate the physicality of the sport to a point of boredom and utter pointlessness. I may have people who disagree with me, but I don't care. When people undertake boxing or rugby or UFC fighting you don't see people stressing they wear helmets and making new rules about not hitting to the temple and all that s***. One has to accept at some level there is going to be injuries when this much physicality is concerned. Or.. f*** up the sport with this nonsense.

This hit is not a penalty nor is it late. It's just not "ideal" in today's NHL, and the lesson is.. uh, who the f*** knows.

Edited by Shoreline