• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

harold, I'm pretty sure he got penalized for the late, blindside hit to the head on Ruutu, not the clean hit on Ruutu :P

I call BS on this idea that we have to allow hits like this as "part of the game." What if instead of saying Erat got a concussion on that play, we said he got a "life-altering head injury"? Because that's what a concussion is. Players shouldn't be subject to hits that predictably cause concussions, even if they don't look particularly dirty to us because a player doesn't throw an elbow or leave his feet. There are plenty of hits that don't cause concussions that we can keep in the game.

I'm guessing you meant Erat. :D

I know what you're saying, but I really don't think this is the same as what Cooke did to Savard. And they definitely need to try and limit concussions, it's just that they're such an unpredictable thing, I don't think you can punish guys because a hit results in a head injury. There's plenty of squeaky clean hits that could cause concussions. You can however limit the kind of headshot hits that often lead to concussions and are more about trying to brain a guy than separating him from the puck, I just don't think this hit qualifies.

#42 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

I'm guessing you meant Erat. :D

I know what you're saying, but I really don't think this is the same as what Cooke did to Savard. And they definitely need to try and limit concussions, it's just that they're such an unpredictable thing, I don't think you can punish guys because a hit results in a head injury. There's plenty of squeaky clean hits that could cause concussions. You can however limit the kind of headshot hits that often lead to concussions and are more about trying to brain a guy than separating him from the puck, I just don't think this hit qualifies.

oops, eh? :lol:

I agree with most of what you're saying. And I hate that whether a player is injured or not plays so much into league discipline--the act, not the result, should be what's considered. I just disagree on the last bit: I don't think this hit adds anything to the game, it is one kind of hit known predictably to cause concussions, and it is a hit you can easily categorize and take out of the game.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#43 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

Funny how Torres hit on Seabrook did not result in a suspension but this did. I love consistency from the NHL. Whats next, poke checks are now automatic hooking calls?
40 for life.

#44 OHwing

OHwing

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

Man, this discussion just proves how subjective this whole thing is. In my opinion, the only thing wrong w/ the hit was that it was interference. I can't see how people are calling it blindside. The victim has to bear some responsibility on a play like that as well. Erat should have seen him coming. An the hit wasn't that violent a hit. It was more of a freak injury than anything. There didn't even appear to be direct head contact. While I agree with the decision not to suspend him, the Torres hit was much more of a blindside and much more violent. I think this decision was based on 2 criteria: 1) the history of the offending player, and 2) the resulting injury to Erat, which by that logic, Torres should have got suspended as well. Campell seems to be a confused and schizophrenic on these decisions. There needs to be a board put together that evaluates each hit and votes on subsequent punishment. His bitter rant on the radio the other day proves that he is allowing all the criticism to affect him, and thus he produces these decisions are all over the board. Regardless of what he says, they appear to be very reactionary.

#45 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

I cannot believe I didn't see this thread yesterday... The puck was long gone easy call not a clean hit. Rutuu obvious suspension
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#46 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

I cannot believe I didn't see this thread yesterday... The puck was long gone easy call not a clean hit. Rutuu obvious suspension

Posted Image
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".