• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mabuhay Red Wings

Positive Signs for The Wings in These Playoffs

Rate this topic

The Wings are going to the Cup Finals this year, and they will most likely win.

Reasons;

-San Jose always chokes. They just lost vs the Kings and have to go to LA for game 6. In the second round, they will be worn out, and easy prey.

-Vancouver always chokes. I admit that when the Canucks were up 3-0 the Hawks, I thought this might be their year. However, the Canucks got blown out the last 2 games and have to face the Hawks back in Chicago. It's likely going 7 games, and even if Vancouver wins, Luongo will be too exhausted for the Wings offense if they meet in the playoffs.

-Nashville will be worn out vs Anaheim. Plus the Preds have never won a series, and are inexperienced in the post season. I predict the series will go 7 games, and if Anaheim wins, they will be no match for the Wings.

In the east, Washington has a history of choking, as Ovechkin isn't known for his playoff heroics. Buffalo will beat the Flyers, but Miller can't carry them all the way. The Penguins won't do anything unless Crosby returns.

The only team that can challenge Detroit are the Bruins, but the Wings would likely prevail in that series.

So I am predicting a Stanley Cup Victory for Detroit in 2011.

large_RedWingsTopPhoto.jpg

So... Everybody else chokes?

Guest stinky fish taco

San Jose always chokes

like when they beat the wings in 5 games.

The Wings are going to the Cup Finals this year, and they will most likely win.

Reasons;

-San Jose always chokes. They just lost vs the Kings and have to go to LA for game 6. In the second round, they will be worn out, and easy prey.

-Vancouver always chokes. I admit that when the Canucks were up 3-0 the Hawks, I thought this might be their year. However, the Canucks got blown out the last 2 games and have to face the Hawks back in Chicago. It's likely going 7 games, and even if Vancouver wins, Luongo will be too exhausted for the Wings offense if they meet in the playoffs.

-Nashville will be worn out vs Anaheim. Plus the Preds have never won a series, and are inexperienced in the post season. I predict the series will go 7 games, and if Anaheim wins, they will be no match for the Wings.

In the east, Washington has a history of choking, as Ovechkin isn't known for his playoff heroics. Buffalo will beat the Flyers, but Miller can't carry them all the way. The Penguins won't do anything unless Crosby returns.

The only team that can challenge Detroit are the Bruins, but the Wings would likely prevail in that series.

So I am predicting a Stanley Cup Victory for Detroit in 2011.

large_RedWingsTopPhoto.jpg

:lol:

You mentioned choking, yet you pick the Bruins to make the Finals.

They're the biggest chokers on the list.

Yet the only times Phoenix seemed to have a shot at winning in the third, the Wings responded well.

Keep playing with fire you're gonna get burned. Wings cannot allow the opposition to gain momentum down the stretch of a game and be expected to hold them off every single time. Eventually they will lose a game like that which can swing momentum in a series.

-How well can the Wings infamously inconsistent (regular season) defense play against a team like SJ who has significantly more and better offensive weapons?

Really? In the regular season Detroit was second in the league in goals scored. SJ was 6th. In the playoffs we've had 4.5 goals per game (1st in the league, the next closest team has 3.6). SJ is 7th with 3.2 goals/game. Our PP has been 26.7% (5th) while SJ's is 10% (12th). I'll take Datsyuk, Zetterberg, (playoff)Franzen over Thornton, Marleau, Heatly any day of the week.

Really? In the regular season Detroit was second in the league in goals scored. SJ was 6th. In the playoffs we've had 4.5 goals per game (1st in the league, the next closest team has 3.6). SJ is 7th with 3.2 goals/game. Our PP has been 26.7% (5th) while SJ's is 10% (12th). I'll take Datsyuk, Zetterberg, (playoff)Franzen over Thornton, Marleau, Heatly any day of the week.

I kinda got the impression that they meant in comparison to Phoenix

Does anyone else still laugh when people say we lost because of reffing? Reffing was terribly one sided the first two games this past series against the Yotes and we swept them. Reffing wasn't the issue, we just weren't healthy enough and/or too tired. Reffing is still garbage but we are finally rested.

In the east, Washington has a history of choking, as Ovechkin isn't known for his playoff heroics.

Oh really? I invite you to check out his point per game average is in the playoffs (superior to Crosby's and to that of the rest of his competition). Ovechkin's never been the problem with Washington. It's always been Mike Green's pathetic play under pressure. Looks like he's gotten past that this season and the Caps are over that hump now.

The Coyotes weren't a joke of a team and Detroit looked fearsome against them. There aren't any glaring problems that the Wings showed in that series. Our depth flexed its muscles when missing Z and Mule (for a game and such). Our defense looks pretty solid too and Jimmy looks confident enough to play solid.

The Sharks have some good offensive depth on paper, but thats just it. They seem to have some serious defensive issues against a LA team that is missing their best player by a wide margin. Against our depth I think the Wings could make short work of the Sharks.

The Canucks seem soft right now and don't look unbeatable by a long shot. But I think they would put up more of a fight than the Sharks.

The Preds are the Preds. They can play tough and physical but I don't foresee them beating the Wings (even with Rinne), especially after that 3-0 comeback win in OT.

The Hawks I don't see going anywhere (if they beat Vancouver).

The Kings cannot play defense and rely on Quick to stop 45+ shots to win. You can't rely on that every night and expect to go places.

If the trends continue the Wings can come out of the West. They can beat every team right now, but the Sharks and Canucks will put up more of a fight than other teams.

My only worries are the team continuing to play as hard as they have been and the inconsistent defense. PK they can work on and get better in fact they need to work on overall special teams. Also I think it isn't always about matching up as far as skill and such I do believe in Hunger and a desire to keep on playing, now that being said I think a hunger can only go so far you have to have some luck and you MUST play your best game in and game out. If they Wings can just stay on this track with everyone healthy and returning they could make a serious run in these playoffs. Remember before the NHL Regular season started it was predicted that it would be the Caps and Wings in the Finals this season. I still believe in that possibility.

I think the Wings got their wish with every other WC series going to at least 6 games (plus 3 of the 4 series in EC are going to a game 6 or 7). Unfortunetly, this is a long wait for the Wings and I think that everyone has seen before what that can do. Looking forward to seeing a full healthy lineup coming into Round 2, just hoping they can keep up bringing the game they brought against the Yotes.

:lol:

You mentioned choking, yet you pick the Bruins to make the Finals.

They're the biggest chokers on the list.

No; he said they're the only team that can challenge the Wings. Then he went on the pick the Wings for the Cup. There was no "Detroit over Boston" or "Boston makes the Finals" in there.

like when they beat the wings in 5 games.

And then went on to be swept the very next round. Cracker jack reporting once again.

Being super condescending about the Wings and using lower case letters throughout every post you have, makes me think you were last picked at kickball in 6th grade constantly. Just me, I'd guess though.

Guest stinky fish taco

And then went on to be swept the very next round.

and that means exactly, what? as far as we're concerned?

they still beat the lower-seeded red wings in round 2. but somehow, because the "sharks are chokers", they can't do the same this year?

...rrrrrrright.

The ONLY reason I'd want to play san jose next round is for the motivation factor. The wings often play best when they are motivated. In round 1 it was comments from Doan and a Phoenix Analyst that I am 1000% certain ended up on the bulletin board one way or another.

In round 2 if it's San Jose, it's going to be the beating we got last year. I think the wings got embarrassed last year, getting beat in 5 games, and handily. We can argue the referreeing in that series but let's keep that out of this conversation for now ;).

The wings will be 100% focused playing a team like San Jose.

On that note, my honest opinion is I'd rather play Nashville. They are a 1 hour flight away and 1 time zone, that is much easier to deal with for the wings and for the fans. The thing I'd worry about here is a Red Wing letdown. Nashville is a good team but they aren't a sparkling team like SJ or Vancouver, or Chicago. So I would be more worried about the wings having a letdown early in the series if we play Nashville.

Good points. I think the Anaheim series in '07 was credited by many Wings as the motivation for their '08 run. Sure they lost to Pittsburgh in '09 and didn't go far the next season in response, but I think they were pretty well burned out at that point. Getting revenge for the embarrassment of the near sweep to the Sharks would be pretty good motivation. Plus Thornton always gets passionate when he plays the Wings, which I think helps guys like Kronwall and Zetterberg.