• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crodley

Which team had the LEAST losses on route to winning the cup?

Rate this topic

No team has ever gone 16-0 in modern times to a Stanley Cup win. To the best of my recollection, the Edmonton Oilers of 1987-88 went 16-2, which is the closest anyone has come to a perfect record. The Oilers went 4-1 vs Winnipeg, 4-0 vs Calgary, 4-1 vs Detroit, and 4-0 vs Boston in the Stanley Cup final.

No team has ever gone 16-0 in modern times to a Stanley Cup win. To the best of my recollection, the Edmonton Oilers of 1987-88 went 16-2, which is the closest anyone has come to a perfect record. The Oilers went 4-1 vs Winnipeg, 4-0 vs Calgary, 4-1 vs Detroit, and 4-0 vs Boston in the Stanley Cup final.

You are correct. Since the inception of the 4 round, best of 7 began in 1986/87, the 87/88 Oilers have the least amount of losses in route to the Stanley Cup. They went 16-2.

The 86/87 Oilers, 91/92 Penguins, 92/93 Canadiens, 94/95 Devils, and the 96/97 Red Wings all went 16-4.

The 91/92 Penguins won their last 11 games, 3 vs. NYR, and sweeps vs. Boston and Chicago, to capture the cup.

Edited by oldredbarnman

Wow, that's impressive, thanks tons for the information!

Does anyone know who has had the MOST losses and still won the cup?

The 2006 Hurricanes played 25 games to win the Cup. That means 9 losses. I can't think of any team that played more games to win it all.

Calgary played 26 games in 2004, but lost in the Finals.

Vancouver might be gunning for the most losses to win the cup! 3 already and they might still have to contend with NSH and Detroit and the NHL really wanting a WSH cup championship!!!

I kid. They aren't making it out of the first round.

Detroit went 16-4 in 1997. (Blues 4-2, Anaheim 4-0, Colorado 4-2, Philadelphia 4-0)

Speaking of which, I found this super awesome video and had no idea where to put it. I'm going to be watching this a lot until the Wings start playing again. Major props to the original uploader. What a great year!

My favorite points:

1:37 - Homer wearing #15. Haha.

1:52 - HUGE HIT BY VLADDY! WOO!!!

2:02 - Typical and beautiful blast by Nick!

2:15 - March 26, 1997. Wings & Avs.

3:12 - Mike Keane. <_<

4:06 - Watch out Sergei!

4:43 - Pronger headlocks Drapes and then Kocur gives Pronger an elbow.

5:05 - Dollar hot dogs!

6:05 - Xena exposes a lil nip. Censored of course.

7:52 - Claude Lemieux not happy and Marc Crawford as Captain Obvious.

8:24 - Holy s***, Vernon...

8:43 - Roy sounding like a ******.

10:24 - MAC!

10:43 - :champs: