• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingOvertime

Enforcers in the Playoffs

Rate this topic

I've been surprised at the amount of 'enforcers' dressing this year in the playoffs. Below is the list of enforcers playing (I'll probably forget some).

Zac Rinaldo (Philly)

Carcillo (Philly)

Westgarth (LA)

Clifford (LA)- has been chipping in nicely.

Eager (Sharks)

Scott (Chicago)

Rupp (Pitt)

Asham (Pitt)

Biz Nasty (Yotes)

Shawn Thornton (Boston)

Prust (Rangers)

Parros (Ducks)

IMO this is a good sign for the new type of enforcer that can also play.

Conclusion: get an enforcer = get to the playoffs.

This is probably a negative for the posters here (me included) that want an enforcer. I doubt the Wings would ever ice Scott, Westgarth, Biz Nasty, Parros, or Rinaldo in a playoff game (not that the Wings should), and thus these type of players will likely choose to sign with teams that will give them playing time and be successful. Finding an enforcer that has skill and is willing to be the Wings' 13th/14th forward is likely getting more difficult.

Regardless, it's nice to see the play of enforcers elevating to the level that they can be counted on to play in the playoffs. :thumbup:

I think a lot of that has been based on injuries and suspensions. And guys like Prust and Thornton were regular contributing 4th liners during the season. Nonetheless, it's good to see some teams playing with muscle in the playoffs. Just wonder if that trend will continue as the rounds go by?

I've been surprised at the amount of 'enforcers' dressing this year in the playoffs. Below is the list of enforcers playing (I'll probably forget some).

Zac Rinaldo (Philly)

Carcillo (Philly)

Westgarth (LA)

Eager (Sharks)

Scott (Chicago)

Rupp (Pitt)

Asham (Pitt)

Biz Nasty (Yotes)

Shawn Thornton (Boston)

Prust (Rangers)

Parros (Ducks)

Stalberg (Chicago)

It used to happen all the time in the 80's and 90's.

Less common now, but many of the enforcers listed are guys who played a full season with their team. Not a surprise that they'd play the playoffs too.

You're correct about most of them playing with the team for the full season, with Rinaldo being the exception. I would think more teams would do what the Wings did in 08 with Downey- play him during the season, and use other players in the playoffs. Hopefully this trend is evidence that enforcers are upping their play.

Yea, no wonder why all those teams swept their first round opponents and the wings are having a hard time closing out their series.

Awesome logic. :rolleyes:

Where in this thread did anyone suggest that having enforcers in the playoffs is what Detroit needs? Are you just trolling, or do you have a point to add to the discussion?

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Guest Shoreline

It all depends on what niche the enforcer fills that their team needs. Obviously the Red Wings don't need one, but other teams make use, and the pure goon days are going bye-bye.

Awesome logic. :rolleyes:

Where in this thread did anyone suggest that having enforcers in the playoffs is what Detroit needs? Are you just trolling, or do you have a point to add to the discussion?

My point, so far in all these series I've seen the following: Cheap shots, over dependence on the first two lines for offense, runs being taking at net minders, and not many fights. It seems that there are a lot of enforcers who are slacking.

Guest Shoreline

My point, so far in all these series I've seen the following: Cheap shots, over dependence on the first two lines for offense, runs being taking at net minders, and not many fights. It seems that there are a lot of enforcers who are slacking.

We need a facepalm emoticon for these forums..

Zac Rinaldo (Philly)

Carcillo (Philly)

Westgarth (LA)

Eager (Sharks)

Scott (Chicago)

Rupp (Pitt)

Asham (Pitt)

Biz Nasty (Yotes)

Shawn Thornton (Boston)

Prust (Rangers)

Parros (Ducks)

The ones in bold have lost or are losing currently in their series. 4 winning, 8 losing.

Conclusion, you dress an enforcer, you're probably going to lose the series :P

The ones in bold have lost or are losing currently in their series. 4 winning, 8 losing.

Conclusion, you dress an enforcer, you're probably going to lose the series :P

Wings haven't won a cup recently without an enforcer regularly dressed in the regular season. :ph34r: I hope that changes this year though.

humor-penguin-logic.jpg

Wings haven't won a cup recently without an enforcer regularly dressed in the regular season. :ph34r: I hope that changes this year though.

humor-penguin-logic.jpg

I was taking a jab at the poster that said if you want to make the playoffs you need an enforcer. I was simply showing that if you have an enforcer that there's a good chance you'll lose. It was suppose to be sarcastic.