• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grayne Wetzky

Longer Deal for Lidstrom?

Rate this topic

Guest Grayne Wetzky

I'd like to see the Wings be a little more aggressive and wrap this guy up at less per year, but a longer term. If the Wings can get Lidstrom down to about 5 mil per and Rafalski down to about 3.5 - 4 mil per, they could go after another good forward. Do you think they could do this if the contracts offered were 3 to 5 years instead of one year?

One year deals only my friend. If he retires with a long term deal we'd eat that cap space.

Exactly. Besides, didn't Holland already say he'd be offering one year contracts for Lidstrom as many years as he wants to play?

This idea sounds better than it actually is. Lidstrom is amazing, dont get me wrong, but I don't want Lidstrom at a 5 million dollar cap hit when he is 45, unless he plays on a one year deal every year until then and continues to play at or near his current level.

I'd be really, really cautious about handing out long-term deals to anyone over 35, let alone 40.

Also, you have to be prepared for the possibility that, if the Wings win the Cup, both Lidstrom AND Rafalski could hang up the blades...

Lidstrom won't sign anything longer than a one year deal, however in regards to your want to ad a forward, even if the Wings bring back Lidstrom at 6.2 million next year with the projected cap increase they should have plenty of money to go sign another really good D-man or Forward, or they could split it up and ad an okay version of each.

As others have said, there's no way that Lids comes back on anything other than a one year deal even if he comes back at all after winning the Cup, Conn Smythe, & Norris this year.

Now what I'm really looking forward to is all the whining when he does come back but doesn't take as much of a hometown discount as some people here want him to. That would never happen though, would it? :ph34r:

I don't think a Cup seals the deal for him retiring. Pure love for the game and the ability to obviously still be a finalist, and possible winner of the Norris trophy proves he can just simply get it done. Nick is in tip-top shape and has the best overall shot from the point to this day. We will see but I don't think he is done for at least another 3 years or so.

I don't think Lidstrom would let Holland or the Wings sign him for longer than a 1 year deal at this stage in his life. He wouldn't want to retire 1 year into a 2-3 year deal and hurt them when it comes to cap space. The respect that the Wings have shown Lidstrom has been returned just as much if not more by Lidstrom himself.

If he does indeed come back, im really hoping he takes a discount to help us sign players..thats all i ask!

He has been taking a discount for the past half decade for us. There are 8 defensmen that have a higher cap hit than him right now and 10 players who have a higher salary this year than him.

I'd like to see the Wings be a little more aggressive and wrap this guy up at less per year, but a longer term. If the Wings can get Lidstrom down to about 5 mil per and Rafalski down to about 3.5 - 4 mil per, they could go after another good forward. Do you think they could do this if the contracts offered were 3 to 5 years instead of one year?

One year deals only my friend. If he retires with a long term deal we'd eat that cap space.

What he said. The over 35 year old rule would eat all that cap space if Lids decided to hang em up before his contract ended.

Holland can just keep offering him 1 year deals. And honestly I could see Lidstrom's contract getting under 6 million for next season. I know the cap is up, but his ice time is down and will likely continue to come down a little next season.

Though I guess that would put him making less than Rafalki. And if he wins another Norris, it might be hard to negotiate him down under 6. Hmm....

Ummm.....wait, what? This cannot be serious?