• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grayne Wetzky

Longer Deal for Lidstrom?

Rate this topic

Guest Grayne Wetzky

I guess Lidstrom gets to call the shots. I was of the OPINION that two parties were involved in negotiating contracts. By the responses on here, I guess that's not the case.

With the shape Lidstrom is in, and judging by his performance this year, I have a hard time believing he can't go another 3 to 5 seasons. Especially if Kronwall and another defenseman (Ericsson) start grabbing a lot more minutes per game (which we have all seen happen during regular and post season). I don't think people are realizing that Kronwall has blossomed into a top pair defenseman and that Ericsson has blossomed into a top 4 defenseman (he was hurt in 2009-10, and that's why he had an off year). This means the Wings can slip Lidstrom down to 10-12 minutes of 5 on 5 play per game, 3-4 minutes of PK time, and 3-4 minutes of PP time. If Lidstrom is playing 16-18 minutes per game, he'll go another 3-5 seasons easy. The guy has the most impecable track record of any player in the league. Why not give him 20 mil over 4 seasons? This year to year crap is just Brett Favre-esque drama, if you ask me. Lidstrom is smart for leveraging himself this way, but Holland should know better by now. Lock #5 up. Get it done, Kenny.

I guess Lidstrom gets to call the shots. I was of the OPINION that two parties were involved in negotiating contracts. By the responses on here, I guess that's not the case.

With the shape Lidstrom is in, and judging by his performance this year, I have a hard time believing he can't go another 3 to 5 seasons. Especially if Kronwall and another defenseman (Ericsson) start grabbing a lot more minutes per game (which we have all seen happen during regular and post season). I don't think people are realizing that Kronwall has blossomed into a top pair defenseman and that Ericsson has blossomed into a top 4 defenseman (he was hurt in 2009-10, and that's why he had an off year). This means the Wings can slip Lidstrom down to 10-12 minutes of 5 on 5 play per game, 3-4 minutes of PK time, and 3-4 minutes of PP time. If Lidstrom is playing 16-18 minutes per game, he'll go another 3-5 seasons easy. The guy has the most impecable track record of any player in the league. Why not give him 20 mil over 4 seasons? This year to year crap is just Brett Favre-esque drama, if you ask me. Lidstrom is smart for leveraging himself this way, but Holland should know better by now. Lock #5 up. Get it done, Kenny.

The contract is negotiated. Lidstrom, at his advanced age, has told the Wings that he won't sign for anything more than one year. Since he's their captain, their best player for the last 15-20 years, and one of the best defensemen in league history, the Wings aren't going to force his hand--and risk losing cap space--by only offering him only a 3 or 4 year deal. He's earned that respect from the organization.

And yes, he's had a great season, it may look like he has "3-5 years" left in him. But if you look at his season just a year ago, he appeared much closer to retirement than to continuing to play long term.

His kids are in or approaching high school, and it's tougher with each additional year for the body and mind to put in the work to prepare for another long season. There's no Brett Favre drama, no "I'm done, I might want to play, I'm working out but not going to play, I want to play, I'm done, I'm going to play but I won't come to training camp, let's do this again next off-season, here's a picture of my junk." Lidstrom made his decision within days of talking to Holland and Co. last summer. We can all expect him to do the same this off-season, and after each additional season he might play.

Winning a Norris and a Cup might inspire him to come back for another year. Or it could inspire him to go out on top. Only he knows...

Guest Crymson

No offense... but I think you're just unwilling to admit that you were unaware of the cap rules for players over age 35.

What constitutes as a long term deal? Just anything over 1 year? Cus thats bull. Should be at least 3.

What hit did hull give the coyotes and for how long?

Hull signed a two-year deal with an annual cap hit of $2.25m; the first year was the lockout year, and was therefore nullified. Hull retired five games into his first actual season with the Coyotes. I do not recall if the full $2.25m was applied to the cap or not, but my understanding is that it should be in that situation.

As long as Nick Lidstrom wants one-year deals he will get them. He will know when he is finished. He is a man of integrity. When he starts to play like a human, he will be given human wages. Until then, he will continue to take human-like wages because he loves the team.

One year.... AND if the Cap indeed goes up a significant amount, I see no problem giving Lidstrom a RASIE, yes, A RAISE. He is the best defensman in the world and should be paid that. If indeed the cap goes up enough. Lids is the kind of player that wants to win and win often, so if the cap only inches up, I am sure he would sacrifice some more money to make this team even better....

I don't think a Cup seals the deal for him retiring. Pure love for the game and the ability to obviously still be a finalist, and possible winner of the Norris trophy proves he can just simply get it done. Nick is in tip-top shape and has the best overall shot from the point to this day. We will see but I don't think he is done for at least another 3 years or so.

He's repeatedly stated that he'd like to keep playing as long as he has a passion for the game and the DRW can compete at an elite level.

Him being a Norris finalist this year and the team competing in the playoffs means that he's likely to come back next year, Cup or no Cup.

He's also said that he'd like to keep playing as long as he's a top-4 defenseman, which will be a really freaking long time unless he declines rapidly.

He's repeatedly stated that he'd like to keep playing as long as he has a passion for the game and the DRW can compete at an elite level.

Him being a Norris finalist this year and the team competing in the playoffs means that he's likely to come back next year, Cup or no Cup.

He's also said that he'd like to keep playing as long as he's a top-4 defenseman, which will be a really freaking long time unless he declines rapidly.

Wings' second pairing in 2019-20: Lidstrom/Lidstrom?

Wings' second pairing in 2019-20: Lidstrom/Lidstrom?

The son joins the father?

If his son has half his talent, I wouldn't object at all.

It would be weird seeing "N. Lidstrom" and "K. Lidstrom" on the back of their jerseys, though.

The son joins the father?

If his son has half his talent, I wouldn't object at all.

It would be weird seeing "N. Lidstrom" and "K. Lidstrom" on the back of their jerseys, though.

Or we could just clone N. Lidstrom.

Beats having defensive pairings of:

N. Lidstrom/K. Lidstrom

S. Lidstrom/A. Lidstrom

L. Lidstrom/A. (Mama) Lidstrom

One year.... AND if the Cap indeed goes up a significant amount, I see no problem giving Lidstrom a RASIE, yes, A RAISE. He is the best defensman in the world and should be paid that. If indeed the cap goes up enough. Lids is the kind of player that wants to win and win often, so if the cap only inches up, I am sure he would sacrifice some more money to make this team even better....

I have a problem with giving Lidstrom a raise; it sticks us in a situation where the rest of the team may not be as good. This is important because of many reasons. Lidstrom and Rafalski will both be retiring soon, and the rest of the team primarily consists of players who would be sticking around. If Lidstrom taking a pay cut allows for us to get a much better player on the roster, potentially locking down a (preferably younger) top-pairing defenseman given that Rafalski, Kronwall, and Stuart all turn UFA after next season, as would Lidstrom if he returns. Next offseason will showcase Holland's true abilities as a GM, even if Lids is returning for 2012-13.

2 years at 4.8 per year.

I would take a 2 year deal for $4.8m for Lidstrom if it were a cap hit of $2.4m each year. Because I'm willing to risk eating that hit two years from now to guarantee his presence on the roster for next season.

Guest Grayne Wetzky

I would take a 2 year deal for $4.8m for Lidstrom if it were a cap hit of $2.4m each year. Because I'm willing to risk eating that hit two years from now to guarantee his presence on the roster for next season.

This is all I'm getting at. If Lidstrom has enough money at this stage to where he doesn't care if he retires/plays, then he should be helping the team acquire better players by giving up some of his yearly take in exchange for longer periods of take. 7 million per season on a one year at a time basis might keep the Wings from having a top 6 player instead of a 7-12 guy. Why wouldn't Lidstrom want to take 16 million over 4 years and retire with one or two to go (if he wants to)? So what if the Wings eat 2 years of 4 million a year. They're SCREWED when Lidstrom retires, anyways. Might as well go for it now.

This is all I'm getting at. If Lidstrom has enough money at this stage to where he doesn't care if he retires/plays, then he should be helping the team acquire better players by giving up some of his yearly take in exchange for longer periods of take. 7 million per season on a one year at a time basis might keep the Wings from having a top 6 player instead of a 7-12 guy. Why wouldn't Lidstrom want to take 16 million over 4 years and retire with one or two to go (if he wants to)? So what if the Wings eat 2 years of 4 million a year. They're SCREWED when Lidstrom retires, anyways. Might as well go for it now.

Because Lidstrom doesn't know when he's going to retire, and Holland doesn't want to jack up the cap with a 4-year, $5m-per deal?