• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

I don't think a Cup seals the deal for him retiring. Pure love for the game and the ability to obviously still be a finalist, and possible winner of the Norris trophy proves he can just simply get it done. Nick is in tip-top shape and has the best overall shot from the point to this day. We will see but I don't think he is done for at least another 3 years or so.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#22 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

If he does indeed come back, im really hoping he takes a discount to help us sign players..thats all i ask!

#23 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

I don't think Lidstrom would let Holland or the Wings sign him for longer than a 1 year deal at this stage in his life. He wouldn't want to retire 1 year into a 2-3 year deal and hurt them when it comes to cap space. The respect that the Wings have shown Lidstrom has been returned just as much if not more by Lidstrom himself.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#24 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

If he does indeed come back, im really hoping he takes a discount to help us sign players..thats all i ask!

He has been taking a discount for the past half decade for us. There are 8 defensmen that have a higher cap hit than him right now and 10 players who have a higher salary this year than him.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

I'd like to see the Wings be a little more aggressive and wrap this guy up at less per year, but a longer term. If the Wings can get Lidstrom down to about 5 mil per and Rafalski down to about 3.5 - 4 mil per, they could go after another good forward. Do you think they could do this if the contracts offered were 3 to 5 years instead of one year?

One year deals only my friend. If he retires with a long term deal we'd eat that cap space.

What he said. The over 35 year old rule would eat all that cap space if Lids decided to hang em up before his contract ended.

Holland can just keep offering him 1 year deals. And honestly I could see Lidstrom's contract getting under 6 million for next season. I know the cap is up, but his ice time is down and will likely continue to come down a little next season.

Though I guess that would put him making less than Rafalki. And if he wins another Norris, it might be hard to negotiate him down under 6. Hmm....

#26 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:58 PM

I'd like to see the Wings be a little more aggressive and wrap this guy up at less per year, but a longer term. If the Wings can get Lidstrom down to about 5 mil per and Rafalski down to about 3.5 - 4 mil per, they could go after another good forward. Do you think they could do this if the contracts offered were 3 to 5 years instead of one year?

Ummm.....wait, what? This cannot be serious?

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#27 Grayne Wetzky

Grayne Wetzky

Rookie

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

I guess Lidstrom gets to call the shots. I was of the OPINION that two parties were involved in negotiating contracts. By the responses on here, I guess that's not the case.

With the shape Lidstrom is in, and judging by his performance this year, I have a hard time believing he can't go another 3 to 5 seasons. Especially if Kronwall and another defenseman (Ericsson) start grabbing a lot more minutes per game (which we have all seen happen during regular and post season). I don't think people are realizing that Kronwall has blossomed into a top pair defenseman and that Ericsson has blossomed into a top 4 defenseman (he was hurt in 2009-10, and that's why he had an off year). This means the Wings can slip Lidstrom down to 10-12 minutes of 5 on 5 play per game, 3-4 minutes of PK time, and 3-4 minutes of PP time. If Lidstrom is playing 16-18 minutes per game, he'll go another 3-5 seasons easy. The guy has the most impecable track record of any player in the league. Why not give him 20 mil over 4 seasons? This year to year crap is just Brett Favre-esque drama, if you ask me. Lidstrom is smart for leveraging himself this way, but Holland should know better by now. Lock #5 up. Get it done, Kenny.

#28 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

again, i ask:

are you high on PCP?

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#29 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

I guess Lidstrom gets to call the shots. I was of the OPINION that two parties were involved in negotiating contracts. By the responses on here, I guess that's not the case.

With the shape Lidstrom is in, and judging by his performance this year, I have a hard time believing he can't go another 3 to 5 seasons. Especially if Kronwall and another defenseman (Ericsson) start grabbing a lot more minutes per game (which we have all seen happen during regular and post season). I don't think people are realizing that Kronwall has blossomed into a top pair defenseman and that Ericsson has blossomed into a top 4 defenseman (he was hurt in 2009-10, and that's why he had an off year). This means the Wings can slip Lidstrom down to 10-12 minutes of 5 on 5 play per game, 3-4 minutes of PK time, and 3-4 minutes of PP time. If Lidstrom is playing 16-18 minutes per game, he'll go another 3-5 seasons easy. The guy has the most impecable track record of any player in the league. Why not give him 20 mil over 4 seasons? This year to year crap is just Brett Favre-esque drama, if you ask me. Lidstrom is smart for leveraging himself this way, but Holland should know better by now. Lock #5 up. Get it done, Kenny.

The contract is negotiated. Lidstrom, at his advanced age, has told the Wings that he won't sign for anything more than one year. Since he's their captain, their best player for the last 15-20 years, and one of the best defensemen in league history, the Wings aren't going to force his hand--and risk losing cap space--by only offering him only a 3 or 4 year deal. He's earned that respect from the organization.
And yes, he's had a great season, it may look like he has "3-5 years" left in him. But if you look at his season just a year ago, he appeared much closer to retirement than to continuing to play long term.
His kids are in or approaching high school, and it's tougher with each additional year for the body and mind to put in the work to prepare for another long season. There's no Brett Favre drama, no "I'm done, I might want to play, I'm working out but not going to play, I want to play, I'm done, I'm going to play but I won't come to training camp, let's do this again next off-season, here's a picture of my junk." Lidstrom made his decision within days of talking to Holland and Co. last summer. We can all expect him to do the same this off-season, and after each additional season he might play.
Winning a Norris and a Cup might inspire him to come back for another year. Or it could inspire him to go out on top. Only he knows...

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:32 PM

No offense... but I think you're just unwilling to admit that you were unaware of the cap rules for players over age 35.

#31 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

What constitutes as a long term deal? Just anything over 1 year? Cus thats bull. Should be at least 3.
What hit did hull give the coyotes and for how long?

Hull signed a two-year deal with an annual cap hit of $2.25m; the first year was the lockout year, and was therefore nullified. Hull retired five games into his first actual season with the Coyotes. I do not recall if the full $2.25m was applied to the cap or not, but my understanding is that it should be in that situation.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#32 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:00 AM

As long as Nick Lidstrom wants one-year deals he will get them. He will know when he is finished. He is a man of integrity. When he starts to play like a human, he will be given human wages. Until then, he will continue to take human-like wages because he loves the team.

#33 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#34 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

One year.... AND if the Cap indeed goes up a significant amount, I see no problem giving Lidstrom a RASIE, yes, A RAISE. He is the best defensman in the world and should be paid that. If indeed the cap goes up enough. Lids is the kind of player that wants to win and win often, so if the cap only inches up, I am sure he would sacrifice some more money to make this team even better....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#35 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son

great reference
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#36 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

I don't think a Cup seals the deal for him retiring. Pure love for the game and the ability to obviously still be a finalist, and possible winner of the Norris trophy proves he can just simply get it done. Nick is in tip-top shape and has the best overall shot from the point to this day. We will see but I don't think he is done for at least another 3 years or so.

He's repeatedly stated that he'd like to keep playing as long as he has a passion for the game and the DRW can compete at an elite level.

Him being a Norris finalist this year and the team competing in the playoffs means that he's likely to come back next year, Cup or no Cup.

He's also said that he'd like to keep playing as long as he's a top-4 defenseman, which will be a really freaking long time unless he declines rapidly.

#37 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

He's repeatedly stated that he'd like to keep playing as long as he has a passion for the game and the DRW can compete at an elite level.

Him being a Norris finalist this year and the team competing in the playoffs means that he's likely to come back next year, Cup or no Cup.

He's also said that he'd like to keep playing as long as he's a top-4 defenseman, which will be a really freaking long time unless he declines rapidly.

Wings' second pairing in 2019-20: Lidstrom/Lidstrom?
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#38 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

2 years at 4.8 per year.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#39 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

Wings' second pairing in 2019-20: Lidstrom/Lidstrom?

The son joins the father?

If his son has half his talent, I wouldn't object at all.

It would be weird seeing "N. Lidstrom" and "K. Lidstrom" on the back of their jerseys, though.

#40 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

The son joins the father?

If his son has half his talent, I wouldn't object at all.

It would be weird seeing "N. Lidstrom" and "K. Lidstrom" on the back of their jerseys, though.

Or we could just clone N. Lidstrom.

Beats having defensive pairings of:
N. Lidstrom/K. Lidstrom
S. Lidstrom/A. Lidstrom
L. Lidstrom/A. (Mama) Lidstrom