• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

One year.... AND if the Cap indeed goes up a significant amount, I see no problem giving Lidstrom a RASIE, yes, A RAISE. He is the best defensman in the world and should be paid that. If indeed the cap goes up enough. Lids is the kind of player that wants to win and win often, so if the cap only inches up, I am sure he would sacrifice some more money to make this team even better....

I have a problem with giving Lidstrom a raise; it sticks us in a situation where the rest of the team may not be as good. This is important because of many reasons. Lidstrom and Rafalski will both be retiring soon, and the rest of the team primarily consists of players who would be sticking around. If Lidstrom taking a pay cut allows for us to get a much better player on the roster, potentially locking down a (preferably younger) top-pairing defenseman given that Rafalski, Kronwall, and Stuart all turn UFA after next season, as would Lidstrom if he returns. Next offseason will showcase Holland's true abilities as a GM, even if Lids is returning for 2012-13.

2 years at 4.8 per year.

I would take a 2 year deal for $4.8m for Lidstrom if it were a cap hit of $2.4m each year. Because I'm willing to risk eating that hit two years from now to guarantee his presence on the roster for next season.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#42 Grayne Wetzky

Grayne Wetzky

Rookie

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

I would take a 2 year deal for $4.8m for Lidstrom if it were a cap hit of $2.4m each year. Because I'm willing to risk eating that hit two years from now to guarantee his presence on the roster for next season.

This is all I'm getting at. If Lidstrom has enough money at this stage to where he doesn't care if he retires/plays, then he should be helping the team acquire better players by giving up some of his yearly take in exchange for longer periods of take. 7 million per season on a one year at a time basis might keep the Wings from having a top 6 player instead of a 7-12 guy. Why wouldn't Lidstrom want to take 16 million over 4 years and retire with one or two to go (if he wants to)? So what if the Wings eat 2 years of 4 million a year. They're SCREWED when Lidstrom retires, anyways. Might as well go for it now.

#43 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

This is all I'm getting at. If Lidstrom has enough money at this stage to where he doesn't care if he retires/plays, then he should be helping the team acquire better players by giving up some of his yearly take in exchange for longer periods of take. 7 million per season on a one year at a time basis might keep the Wings from having a top 6 player instead of a 7-12 guy. Why wouldn't Lidstrom want to take 16 million over 4 years and retire with one or two to go (if he wants to)? So what if the Wings eat 2 years of 4 million a year. They're SCREWED when Lidstrom retires, anyways. Might as well go for it now.

Because Lidstrom doesn't know when he's going to retire, and Holland doesn't want to jack up the cap with a 4-year, $5m-per deal?
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."