• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Canucks' GM Questions Officiating

Rate this topic

Its one thing for there to be bad officiating every once in a while, or even sometimes multiple games in a row.

But to talk about how the NHL schemes to extend these series, you guys know thats all illegal right? I have a hard time believing that the NHL would risk their already crappy reputation just to extend a series one or two games. I think you guys need to give it up.

they have nothing to loose already. At least in my eyes.

Maybe Luongo should have trusted his eyes to Dr. Rahmani.

EDIT!

Anyway, maybe there is something to this. I mean geez, the Canucks wouldn't have caved in on this series without a little help from officials and whatnot would they???

Not to favor the Canucks, but found this article, with videos, that discussed the same issue this morning on Puckdaddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Tin-foil-hat-time-for-Canucks-media-GM-about-re?urn=nhl-wp3491

Thats a great video put together, however its only of Game 6, sure the refs missed some calls (ok, alot of calls), but where is the video of games 4 and 5?? This is a series and when you have a team on the mat down 3-0, there is 0 excuse for complaining about the refs, The Canucks put themselves in this position by getting smoked a combined 12-2 in games 4 and 5. Sorry Vancouver, ya did it to yourselves!

Thats a great video put together, however its only of Game 6, sure the refs missed some calls (ok, alot of calls), but where is the video of games 4 and 5?? This is a series and when you have a team on the mat down 3-0, there is 0 excuse for complaining about the refs, The Canucks put themselves in this position by getting smoked a combined 12-2 in games 4 and 5. Sorry Vancouver, ya did it to yourselves!

so what do you mean? If the series is 3-0 and suddenly changes to 3-2 (meanwhile, it happened over 50 times in 100 years) then biased officiating is nowadays allowed in game 6 to force game 7?

think a bit about that. 3-0 leads happened 7 times in the play-offs in approximately 100 years, 5 times prior to 2010 and two times since then.

PS Would could have put such kind of video for SJ-DRW series last year...

so what do you mean? If the series is 3-0 and suddenly changes to 3-2 (meanwhile, it happened over 50 times in 100 years) then biased officiating is nowadays allowed in game 6 to force game 7?

think a bit about that. 3-0 leads happened 7 times in the play-offs in approximately 100 years, 5 times prior to 2010 and two times since then.

PS Would could have put such kind of video for SJ-DRW series last year...

Seems that these days, a 3-0 playoff series lead is the most dangerous.

Call it whining all you want but he's right. Babcock bitched about the officiating against SJ last year too. It's all posturing to get calls next game. The Penguins have been enjoying a lot of power plays against Tampa as well. Keep up the good work refs!

esteef

Guest Shoreline

No doubt he's whining to try and deflect attention his players are getting for possibly losing a series while up 3-0, and as someone said, to position for his own team to gain some calls.

OTOH, it's obvious the reffing system in this league is severely f***ed up and is in need of a rude awakening. Hard to disagree with Gillis on some points.

Not to favor the Canucks, but found this article, with videos, that discussed the same issue this morning on Puckdaddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Tin-foil-hat-time-for-Canucks-media-GM-about-re?urn=nhl-wp3491

I believe this is the key point in the article.

---

Here's the box score for Game 4: Too Many Men penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Game 5: High-sticking double-minor for Samuelsson and a roughing call on Bieksa at the end of the second. Game 6: Puck over the glass and a penalty shot.

This isn't a series of judgmental interference penalties here.

---

When it is all broken down like this, you get a better idea of what is going on. These are judgement calls being made that are burying the Canucks. The Canucks are really burying themselves. You would NEVER hear the Wings saying anything like this. They would be puting the onus on themselves, which is the right thing to do.

I believe this game is going to be epic.

I believe this is the key point in the article.

---

Here's the box score for Game 4: Too Many Men penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Game 5: High-sticking double-minor for Samuelsson and a roughing call on Bieksa at the end of the second. Game 6: Puck over the glass and a penalty shot.

This isn't a series of judgmental interference penalties here.

---

When it is all broken down like this, you get a better idea of what is going on. These are judgement calls being made that are burying the Canucks. The Canucks are really burying themselves. You would NEVER hear the Wings saying anything like this. They would be puting the onus on themselves, which is the right thing to do.

I believe this game is going to be epic.

Gillis referred as much to non-calls on the Hawks, not just calls on the Canucks. The blatant Bolland slash breaking Sedin's stick -- the punch in the face by the Hawks goon (can't remember his name). Stuff like that are obvious penalties yet they weren't called with the refs attention firmly focused on these events.

Still, I'm not going to blame the refs if we lose. I will blame the Canucks for s***ting the bed on 2 consecutive nights.

Happens every game for every team. Tons of missed and blown calls. They are not special in that regard by any stretch. Do you have any idea how many times a night Datsyuk gets dragged down with no call? Canucks need to stop blaming the refs... and the flu... and whatever else they can come up with and just win the game.

Holmstrom gets brutally mauled every game and Canuck fans are gonna cite a broken stick and a punch in the face as missed calls? LMAO!

Edited by Broken 16

Gillis referred as much to non-calls on the Hawks, not just calls on the Canucks. The blatant Bolland slash breaking Sedin's stick -- the punch in the face by the Hawks goon (can't remember his name). Stuff like that are obvious penalties yet they weren't called with the refs attention firmly focused on these events.

Still, I'm not going to blame the refs if we lose. I will blame the Canucks for s***ting the bed on 2 consecutive nights.

There are missed calls all the time. In a 7 game series, the better team always wins. The refs don't decide playoff series winners, the players do. As you said, the Canucks crapped the bed on 2 consecutive nights in game 4 and 5. Game 6 was the best game they played since game 3 and came out on the losing side. They only have themselves to blame if they lose game 7.

no conspiracy theory, but i wouldn't rule out the league trying to force longer series by 'tweaking' officiating. that would come in line with this little lawyer gary's perception of 'business'.

I don't think there is an actual conspiracy filled with guys in smokey rooms deciding how many games a series will go. I would argue that the league could influence the refs by whatever method they use for evaluating officials (assuming they do, I know I shouldn't apply logic to the NHL). They might reprimand an official for making certain calls while praising another official for something else.

9 years later, I still don't understand what Burke was trying to prove when he went on his rant about the Wings-Canucks series. Talk about poking the bear or waking a sleeping giant.

Burke's a fool!

I think Gillis is trying to take the heat off Luongo.

9 years later, I still don't understand what Burke was trying to prove when he went on his rant about the Wings-Canucks series. Talk about poking the bear or waking a sleeping giant.

Burke's a fool!

I think Gillis is trying to take the heat off Luongo.

Kind of a "match made in heaven" for Burke. He was in a market where the media isn't shy aboot criticism and he loves to fight back. Took a break for a little bit in Anaheim and now again he's back in natural elements in Toronto.