• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

I have to agree as well. I have always believed that the best team wins a 7 game series. This series will be no different. Will the refs have a bad game or two? Yes. Will a team win a game that they were getting outplayed in? Yes. Look at a couple of the games in the Sharks-Kings series. The officiating really is not a point of contention in a 7 game series. Any team bringing it up as a point of contention is deflecting the focus away from lazy or substandard play.

I like what Lebrun has to say about this.

"If his team wins, the GM will be seen as brilliant for his rant. If the Canucks lose, bad officiating isn't what people will remember from this series. It'll be looked as one of the greatest collapses in NHL history."

This is very true. I have watched 5 of these games in their entirety. I really can say that there have been missed calls on both teams, as normal. There have been calls that shouldn't have been made, as normal. I don't see any favoritism at all. Stop making excuses, and get your team motivated to win the game. Thats my advice.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#22 Steve Sample

Steve Sample

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

Gillis is making himself the centre of attention and taking the heat off the team. Today, Gillis is the main story, not Luongo, not the Sedins, not Kesler -- it's Mike Gillis. Good job I say.

As for penalties being the reason why the Canucks may lose the series -- s***ting the bed in magnificent fashion in games 4 and 5 is why they may lose the series.

^ This x1000. He is taking all the attention away from his team and rallying his team with a us vs. everyone approach. Well done.

#23 swansoccer13

swansoccer13

171 in the draft. 1st in the shootout order.

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Not to favor the Canucks, but found this article, with videos, that discussed the same issue this morning on Puckdaddy:

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl-wp3491
"When you pull your goalie in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, that usually means you're going fishing in about three days, and not 14 more wins or whatever we needed to get it done"

Mike Babcock

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

^ This x1000. He is taking all the attention away from his team and rallying his team with a us vs. everyone approach. Well done.

To me it just makes them seem even more mentally fragile if they need their GM to take the attention away from them. They look like a whiny franchise from top to bottom.

#25 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

I can totally see how losing twice by five goals would not be your own team's fault.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#26 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

Maybe Luongo should have trusted his eyes to Dr. Rhamani.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#27 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

Its one thing for there to be bad officiating every once in a while, or even sometimes multiple games in a row.

But to talk about how the NHL schemes to extend these series, you guys know thats all illegal right? I have a hard time believing that the NHL would risk their already crappy reputation just to extend a series one or two games. I think you guys need to give it up.

they have nothing to loose already. At least in my eyes.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#28 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

Not to favor the Canucks, but found this article, with videos, that discussed the same issue this morning on Puckdaddy:

Someone has a bit too much time on their hands.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#29 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

Maybe Luongo should have trusted his eyes to Dr. Rahmani.

EDIT!

Anyway, maybe there is something to this. I mean geez, the Canucks wouldn't have caved in on this series without a little help from officials and whatnot would they???
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#30 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

Thats a great video put together, however its only of Game 6, sure the refs missed some calls (ok, alot of calls), but where is the video of games 4 and 5?? This is a series and when you have a team on the mat down 3-0, there is 0 excuse for complaining about the refs, The Canucks put themselves in this position by getting smoked a combined 12-2 in games 4 and 5. Sorry Vancouver, ya did it to yourselves!

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

Maybe Luongo should have trusted his eyes to Dr. Rhamani.

Maybe he's becoming your avatar?

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thats a great video put together, however its only of Game 6, sure the refs missed some calls (ok, alot of calls), but where is the video of games 4 and 5?? This is a series and when you have a team on the mat down 3-0, there is 0 excuse for complaining about the refs, The Canucks put themselves in this position by getting smoked a combined 12-2 in games 4 and 5. Sorry Vancouver, ya did it to yourselves!

so what do you mean? If the series is 3-0 and suddenly changes to 3-2 (meanwhile, it happened over 50 times in 100 years) then biased officiating is nowadays allowed in game 6 to force game 7?

think a bit about that. 3-0 leads happened 7 times in the play-offs in approximately 100 years, 5 times prior to 2010 and two times since then.

PS Would could have put such kind of video for SJ-DRW series last year...
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

so what do you mean? If the series is 3-0 and suddenly changes to 3-2 (meanwhile, it happened over 50 times in 100 years) then biased officiating is nowadays allowed in game 6 to force game 7?

think a bit about that. 3-0 leads happened 7 times in the play-offs in approximately 100 years, 5 times prior to 2010 and two times since then.

PS Would could have put such kind of video for SJ-DRW series last year...

Seems that these days, a 3-0 playoff series lead is the most dangerous.

#34 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

Seems that these days, a 3-0 playoff series lead is the most dangerous.

Tell ya one thing, if this is a result of league parity, then I'm loving the salary cap right about now.

#35 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

Tell ya one thing, if this is a result of league parity, then I'm loving the salary cap right about now.

As long as it doesn't happen to the Wings. :D

#36 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

As long as it doesn't happen to the Wings. :D

It can happen... they just have to win game 7. Otherwise the cap is bulls***.

#37 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:59 AM

Call it whining all you want but he's right. Babcock bitched about the officiating against SJ last year too. It's all posturing to get calls next game. The Penguins have been enjoying a lot of power plays against Tampa as well. Keep up the good work refs!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#38 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

No doubt he's whining to try and deflect attention his players are getting for possibly losing a series while up 3-0, and as someone said, to position for his own team to gain some calls.

OTOH, it's obvious the reffing system in this league is severely f***ed up and is in need of a rude awakening. Hard to disagree with Gillis on some points.

#39 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

I believe this is the key point in the article.

---

Here's the box score for Game 4: Too Many Men penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Game 5: High-sticking double-minor for Samuelsson and a roughing call on Bieksa at the end of the second. Game 6: Puck over the glass and a penalty shot.

This isn't a series of judgmental interference penalties here.

---

When it is all broken down like this, you get a better idea of what is going on. These are judgement calls being made that are burying the Canucks. The Canucks are really burying themselves. You would NEVER hear the Wings saying anything like this. They would be puting the onus on themselves, which is the right thing to do.

I believe this game is going to be epic.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#40 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

I believe this is the key point in the article.

---

Here's the box score for Game 4: Too Many Men penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Game 5: High-sticking double-minor for Samuelsson and a roughing call on Bieksa at the end of the second. Game 6: Puck over the glass and a penalty shot.

This isn't a series of judgmental interference penalties here.

---

When it is all broken down like this, you get a better idea of what is going on. These are judgement calls being made that are burying the Canucks. The Canucks are really burying themselves. You would NEVER hear the Wings saying anything like this. They would be puting the onus on themselves, which is the right thing to do.

I believe this game is going to be epic.

Gillis referred as much to non-calls on the Hawks, not just calls on the Canucks. The blatant Bolland slash breaking Sedin's stick -- the punch in the face by the Hawks goon (can't remember his name). Stuff like that are obvious penalties yet they weren't called with the refs attention firmly focused on these events.

Still, I'm not going to blame the refs if we lose. I will blame the Canucks for s***ting the bed on 2 consecutive nights.
It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.