• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeonardSankar

Wings Getting No Help This Playoffs!

Rate this topic

Well in all 4 of their cup runs the Wings have received some help in the form of another team getting upset and thus gave them an easier matchup but with both San Jose and now Vancouver about to advance our Cup chances appear to be done! If you look back in 1997 the Wings were the 3 seed but the 2 seed Dallas got upset by Edmonton in the first round and thus the Wings drew Anaheim in the second round and promptly swept them and thus were fresh & ready for Colorodo in the CF. Then you fast foward a year to 1998 and the Wings are seeded 3 again and then this time Edmonton upsets the 2 seeded Avs and thus Wings get St. Louis in the second round and a 6 game series win and thus still fresh enough to beat Dallas in the CF. Then you fast forward to 2002 and thus the Wings are the 1 seed and they beat everbody who could bother them in the West as no major upsets but that year the upsets came in the East as the high seeded Bruins, Leafs & Flyers all failed to make it to the finals and thus the Wings got an overachieving Carolina team as they wouldn't have wanted to play the Leafs as the refs would have ripped the Leafs off. Then you fast forward to 2008 and the major upset was Dallas taking down 2 seeded San Jose in the second round and the Wings get Dallas over the hated Sharks and that was a huge break.

Now this year with drawing the Sharks in the second round it appears even if they somehow manage to get by the Sharks they will have nothing left for the Canucks and all their speed. So basically I don't forsee them getting out of the Western Conference b/c they needed either both or 1 of Vancouver or San Jose to bite the dust but instead they are basically screwed.

Well in all 4 of their cup runs the Wings have received some help in the form of another team getting upset and thus gave them an easier matchup but with both San Jose and now Vancouver about to advance our Cup chances appear to be done! If you look back in 1997 the Wings were the 3 seed but the 2 seed Dallas got upset by Edmonton in the first round and thus the Wings drew Anaheim in the second round and promptly swept them and thus were fresh & ready for Colorodo in the CF. Then you fast forward a year to 1998 and the Wings are seeded 3 again and then this time Edmonton upsets the 2 seeded Avs and thus Wings get St. Louis in the second round and a 6 game series win and thus still fresh enough to beat Dallas in the CF. Then you fast forward to 2002 and thus the Wings are the 1 seed and they beat everbody who could bother them in the West as no major upsets but that year the upsets came in the East as the high seeded Bruins, Leafs & Flyers all failed to make it to the finals and thus the Wings got an overachieving Carolina team as they wouldn't have wanted to play the Leafs as the refs would have ripped the Leafs off. Then you fast forward to 2008 and the major upset was Dallas taking down 2 seeded San Jose in the second round and the Wings get Dallas over the hated Sharks and that was a huge break.

Now this year with drawing the Sharks in the second round it appears even if they somehow manage to get by the Sharks they will have nothing left for the Canucks and all their speed. So basically I don't forsee them getting out of the Western Conference b/c they needed either both or 1 of Vancouver or San Jose to bite the dust but instead they are basically screwed.

It's only 1-0 Canucks in the third right now... if the s***hawks win then there's the upset and the Sharks get the Hawks and the Wings get Nashville. Given the way we played against Nashville and the fact that Pecker Rimmer has been better than Luongo so far these playoffs I'm not sure which match up favours the Wings.

I'm no pro, but I really dont think seed number matters as much as alot of people think when it comes down to it. especially after the first round has been battled through with whatever the remaining 4 teams are.

Even if the top 2 seeds still exist in round 2 (still 1-0 nucks 7 mins left), it doesnt mean s*** as far as the wings ability to beat them in a series.

Lots of people were stunned that an 8th place Chicago beat a Presidents Trophy Vancouver for 3 straight, but Chicago was definitely more than an 8th place team from the start, and i didnt expect it to go 3-0 Vancouver in the first place.

We'll see what goes down, but I just wouldnt throw seed numbers as a base of who should win what.

I'd say a 3rd place team is as likely to win the conference as a 1st place of 4th place team depending on the scenario

And honestly I'm watching the game intensely at the moment and didnt read the entire initial post so sorry if I missed anythingwink.gif

It's only 1-0 Canucks in the third right now... if the s***hawks win then there's the upset and the Sharks get the Hawks and the Wings get Nashville. Given the way we played against Nashville and the fact that Pecker Rimmer has been better than Luongo so far these playoffs I'm not sure which match up favours the Wings.

Thats what really bothers me about this years playoff matchups for the Wings as they got the easiest team of the field of 16 in the first round but now are in a position to pick their poison as matchups with the Sharks, Preds or Canucks really favours them as all 3 are serious problems for the Wings. If this was the 2008 edition I would be more confident but this Wings team can't handle speed teams like the Sharks or Canucks as the puck posession game doesn't work anymore e.g. they hardly ever have posession of the puck hence the increased shots on goal. Also if Jimmy Howard is asked to steal games the way the Hawks Corey Crawford is asked to do then its game over for the Wings.

Who do we cheer for? I'd like to see the Canucks lose... but I just can't bring myself to pull for "20 cent" and the rest of the s***hawks... Overtime coming up!

Who would you rather see play the Sharks? Us or Chicago?

I dunno, the Sharks had a better season and are the better team on paper but our record against Nashville was horrible this year and they have the better goalie for sure. Sometimes defense-first, grinding, hot-goalie teams give us A LOT of trouble... does the name "Kiprusoff" ring any bells?

Good god that is some of the worst logic I've ever read. Sure your first argument of us being able to sweep the second round wors - but then the next cup year we got a weaker team that took us 6 games and you say we were still fresh after that series? So by your definition, the only way the wings WONT be fresh is if they go 7 games. And I hate to break it to you, but most series don't go 7 games. So i'm willing to bet that the 1 extra game doesn't dictate who and who doesnt win the cup.

Then the next example you use, we don't catch a "break" until the scf. And sure, we did catch a break there, but you're making it seem like we have to catch breaks BEFORE the SCF if we want any success.

So to conclude with your logic, the Wings can win the cup as long as we don't play more than 6 games next series, and we play a weaker team based on an upset at least once? Or technically, just next round and the SCF round?

In any case, we could still play MTL in the finals. Or TB or Pitt - would those count as upset teams weak enough? Or how about if the predators beat the nucks? Then we can go 6 games against them and still be super duper fresh to play the Caps and beat the in the SCF. Right?

Might as well give up now. why bother even playing the games. stick a fork in us, were done! :scared:

I agree! I mean, the Wings have swept a first round four times in this 20 straight playoff appearance streak. Twice they've lost in the second round and twice they've lost in the finals. Now we're about to witness the second round. Might as well just pack it in. :(...

...:sly:

The Wings get a week off, a second round matchup with a team that had one more point in the regular season, and Vancouver was put to the max with Chicago and now have to play a physically grinding Nashville. I think things have played really well in Detroit's favor. I hate playing a west coast team due to the away game start times, but other than that, I couldn't ask for a better scenario for this year's team.

My god, what the hell do you want a yellow brick road to the stanley cup? Get the f*** out of here buddy. How about you root your team on, have some confidence, and stay away from statistics. Statistics and history are fun but they reflect nothing towards real time present day things. Are the sharks a good team? Yes. Are the nucks a good team? Yes. Are the preds a good team? Yes. Are the wings a good team? Yes. Are the flyers a good team? Yes. Are the caps a good team? Yes. Are the pens/bolts a good team? Yes. Are the bruins/habs a good team? Yes. What are you getting at? Its the stanley cup playoffs its anyones game.

Yeah, I think we got the only gift in the whole playoffs there was to get, which was to play Phoenix in the 1st round. They were the only pushover team out of the eight ones that made it into the playoffs. Even the two lowest seeds, Chicago and LA, gave their opponents plenty of trouble, and I don't think playing either of them sounds like all THAT much more fun than playing San Jose. The Ducks would've been a semi-gift, I guess, but there was a slim chance of that happening. We pretty much knew we'd be playing a competitive team and that we'd have to be ready for it. Phoenix is more of a gift than we think it is. We can't do anything about playing the Sharks now, but we've given ourselves the biggest gift we could by sweeping the series so we could refocus and get rested, and I don't think that's so bad. Everybody else is going to be playing a hard team, too, the way I see it, so nobody else has gotten a gift, either.

You lost me at "Wings Getting No Help"...

I was thinking the same thing. An upsetting team is just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than a higher seeded team. Obviously! E.g. '03 Ducks, '04 Flames (defeated top 3 seeded teams in West), '06 Oilers.

I don't know, maybe I'm completely missing the moral of the story.