• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Shoreline

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. (3) Detroit Red Wings

Rate this topic

And you should go ahead and say it. Shout it from the rooftops. I'm saying nothing against Zetterberg who is an awesome player with great playoff stats for the past four years. No argument from me at all.

However, what I AM saying is that rolling out the same old tired cliches about "disappearing Joe" are not particularly valid right now. He had a great series against the Kings by anyone's standards. Anyone calling out Joe's play right now is showing laziness of thought and not paying attention to reality.

Let me tell you about this awesome player....he was a major league prospect and a high first-round draft pick, he had been the Captain of an Original 6 team, he averaged over a point per game in his career in the first 13 seasons, and his team was once the number one seed in the West only to lose a hearbreaking first round series to the lowly eighth seeded team. Everyone called him a choker 'cause he just couldn't get it done in the post-season and neither could the rest of his very talented team.

By the way, this player's name is Steve Yzerman.

Then in his 14th season in the league, when he was 32 years old, Stevie Y finally won the Cup and everyone stopped calling him a big fat choker.

Joe Thornton is in his 14th NHL season and he will be 32 in July. Coincidence? Yeah, probably. But something for Wings fans to think about when the bandy the choker label around.

Now I'm confused. Does this mean that there will be parades in both, San Jose AND Vancouver?

Guest Shoreline

And you should go ahead and say it. Shout it from the rooftops. I'm saying nothing against Zetterberg who is an awesome player with great playoff stats for the past four years. No argument from me at all.

However, what I AM saying is that rolling out the same old tired cliches about "disappearing Joe" are not particularly valid right now. He had a great series against the Kings by anyone's standards. Anyone calling out Joe's play right now is showing laziness of thought and not paying attention to reality.

Let me tell you about this awesome player....he was a major league prospect and a high first-round draft pick, he had been the Captain of an Original 6 team, he averaged over a point per game in his career in the first 13 seasons, and his team was once the number one seed in the West only to lose a hearbreaking first round series to the lowly eighth seeded team. Everyone called him a choker 'cause he just couldn't get it done in the post-season and neither could the rest of his very talented team.

By the way, this player's name is Steve Yzerman.

Then in his 14th season in the league, when he was 32 years old, Stevie Y finally won the Cup and everyone stopped calling him a big fat choker.

Joe Thornton is in his 14th NHL season and he will be 32 in July. Coincidence? Yeah, probably. But something for Wings fans to think about when the bandy the choker label around.

There's one problem with comparing him to Steve Yzerman. Yzerman won 3 cups. You under the impression that Thornton is going to captain the Sharks to these and set the standard of captaincy that Yzerman did not only for the Wings but for the NHL? Please don't put Yzerman and Thornton in the same sentence when comparing players. There's guys like Marcel Dionne and Adam Oates who are a better comparison than Stevie Y because they won 0 cups, which is exactly how many Thornton has, and I sorely doubt Thornton's successor is going to be legendary too. That's the Red Wings' leadership with Yzerman followed with Lidstrom.

Lastly, I should also point out that the post you initially responded to was friendly ribbing, which you were anal about for no reason.

There's one problem with comparing him to Steve Yzerman. Yzerman won 3 cups. You under the impression that Thornton is going to captain the Sharks to these and set the standard of captaincy that Yzerman did not only for the Wings but for the NHL? Please don't put Yzerman and Thornton in the same sentence when comparing players. There's guys like Marcel Dionne and Adam Oates who are a better comparison than Stevie Y because they won 0 cups, which is exactly how many Thornton has, and I sorely doubt Thornton's successor is going to be legendary too. That's the Red Wings' leadership with Yzerman followed with Lidstrom.

Lastly, I should also point out that the post you initially responded to was friendly ribbing, which you were anal about for no reason.

And I fully appreciate that Stevie Y won three Cups and was an aweome leader and ledgend and all that good stuff. And I'm not really comparing the two, per se, nor am I saying that Joe will go on to captain the Sharks to 3 Cups or any such nonsese, as that would be rather presumptuous of me. All I'm saying is that Joe's got exactly the same number of Cups as Steve did at the same point in their respective careers. What the future holds is anyone's guess.

I wouldn't call my response anal for no reason. The tossing out the old "choker" label is as tired and played out as anti-Wings fans calling the Wings old and slow. I'm sure you're all tired of that particular nugget, no?

Edited by FabHckyBbe

“We’re looking for a little redemption,” Detroit forward Dan Cleary said. “We all know the feeling we had when we lost. We want to keep going here.

“We got a good team, we believe we got a real good chance.”

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Wings+seek+redemption+against+Sharks/4685758/story.html#ixzz1KmcD1ahe

If Game 7 needed it would be back to back nights!!!! Otherwise I love the schedule.

April

DATE EVENT NETWORK

Fri April 29 Game 1: Detroit at San Jose 10:00pm TSN

May

DATE EVENT NETWORK

Sunday May 1 Game 2: Detroit at San Jose 3:00pm TSN

Wed May 4 Game 3: San Jose at Detroit 8:00pm TSN

Friday May 6 Game 4: San Jose at Detroit 7:00pm TSN

Sunday May 8 Game 5: Detroit at San Jose 8:00pm TSN

Tuesday May 10 Game 6: San Jose at Detroit TBA TSN

Wed May 12 Game 7: Detroit at San Jose TBA TSN

Edited by sixer

If Game 7 needed it would be back to back nights!!!! Otherwise I love the schedule.

April

DATE EVENT NETWORK

May

DATE EVENT NETWORK

:huh:

April

DATE EVENT NETWORK

May

DATE EVENT NETWORK

May 12th is Thursday, not Wednesday.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/04/red_wings-sharks_playoff_sched_1.html

Game 1: Friday at San Jose, 10 p.m.

Game 2: Sunday at San Jose, 3 p.m.

Game 3: Wednesday, May 4 at Detroit, 8 p.m.

Game 4: Friday, May 6 at Detroit, 7 p.m.

x-Game 5: Sunday, May 8 at San Jose, 8 p.m.

x-Game 6: Tuesday, May 10 at Detroit, TBD

x-Game 7: Thursday, May 12 at San Jose, TBD

Ugh. I hate 7:00 pm starts. It screws up people trying to beat the traffic from work to make it to the game and it cuts into my pre-game bar time. It's already a late start for you guys, another 1/2 hour won't make much of a difference to you, but to the people getting to the Tank it totally throws off our schedule. We've been used to 7:30 pm home starts all year long and they give us the switcheroo during the playoffs. I really hate noon starts, too. Going straight from your morning coffee to beers at the game leads to afternoon beer coma.

For us who don't get FSDetroit or live near San Jose, we won't be able to watch game 3, awesome.....

Won't it be part of a double-header on VS? They might join the game in progress if an earlier game runs late, but I should think that they ought to be showing it in SoCal.

Time for revenge.

Schedule so far:

Game 1: Red Wings at Sharks - Friday, April 29, time TBA

Game 2: Red Wings at Sharks - Sunday, May 1, 3 p.m

Game 3: Sharks at Red Wings - Wednesday, May 4, time TBA

Game 4: Sharks at Red Wings - Friday, May 6, time TBA

(Presumed that non-weekend games in San Jose will be 10/10:30pm ET, and that non-weekend games in Detroit will be 7/7:30pm ET)

From the NHL Network ticker:

Game 1: Friday 4/29, 10:00 EST

Game 2: Sunday 5/1, 3:00 EST

Game 3: Wenesday 5/4, 8:00 EST

Game 4, Friday 5/6, 7:00 EST

Game 5: Sunday 5/8, 8:00 EST

Game 6: Tuesday 5/10, TBD

Game 7: Thursday 5/12, TBD

edit: Didn't see that the times had already been posted.

Edited by Travis

Won't it be part of a double-header on VS? They might join the game in progress if an earlier game runs late, but I should think that they ought to be showing it in SoCal.

They will show it hopefully if the first game doesn't go to overtime. Which means we will be able to watch the third period at least...

I like this, while not as offensively dangerous as Chicago, Detroit will finally begin the NHL playoffs against an actual NHL opponent in San Jose. This series goes six deep minimum :thumbup:

Um, Thornton/Heatley/Marleau/Pavelski/Setoguchi/Clowe > Toews/Kane/Hossa/Sharp

I like this, while not as offensively dangerous as Chicago, Detroit will finally begin the NHL playoffs against an actual NHL opponent in San Jose. This series goes six deep minimum :thumbup:

I see our friend aMonster has come back. Welcome back and congrats to your team. All the best luck against the Preds in the WCSF and tonight. :cool:

From foxsportsdetroit.com:

Red Wings postseason TV schedule

Western Conference semfinals: Detroit Red Wings (3) vs. San Jose (2)

Game 1: Friday, Detroit at San Jose, 10 p.m. on FOX Sports Detroit

Game 2: Sunday, Detroit at San Jose, 3 p.m. on NBC

Game 3: Wednesday, San Jose at Detroit, 8 p.m. on FOX Sports Detroit

Game 4: May 6, San Jose at Detroit, 7 p.m. on Versus

* Game 5: May 8, Detroit at San Jose, 8 p.m. on Versus

* Game 6: May 10, San Jose at Detroit, time TBD, on FOX Sports Detroit

* Game 7: May 12, Detroit at San Jose, time TBD, on FOX Sports Detroit

* if necessary

http://www.foxsports...s/wingsschedule

For us who don't get FSDetroit or live near San Jose, we won't be able to watch game 3, awesome.....

Why not stop register for Drumjs' stream (it's offered on EVERY GDT) or scour the internets for a free high quality stream?