• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KeslerFan

Question: Why do Wings fans hate the Canucks?

Rate this topic

Honest question, what did the Canucks ever do to the Wings to make them so hated here on these forums?

Pretty much everyone I've talked to in Vancouver has a ton of respect for the Red Wings and their organization (great, classy players; fantastic management). Even our own GM said they want to model Vancouver's franchise based on the way the Red Wings are run.

We don't really have any playoff rivalry, nor can I think of any incident a Canuck has done to a Red Wing to garner such hatred.. am I missing something? I'm personally a big fan of the Wings and always root for them when the Canucks are out of the playoffs; but reading the forums here makes me want to dislike the Wings because you hate us so much. (probably a very illogical feeling but likely a natural reaction)

Guest Shoreline

Firstly, it's just a couple fans. Secondly, this is a useless topic. Obvious troll is obvious.

Firstly, it's just a couple fans. Secondly, this is a useless topic. Obvious troll is obvious.

Troll? I said I'm a fan of the Wings players *and* the organization that runs them. THE model franchise of the NHL. In contention every year, builds their team through the draft and developing them through their farm system, and not by buying players/overpaying at the deadline. If that makes me a troll, I guess I am one.

I don't, and am not sure about the general nature of your observation.

truth being said, it's often difficult to find sympathy towards Canadian teams once their fanbases start proclaiming "this is the year"

and keep yapping about whatever calls refs missed. Leafs fans used to be particularly brutal with this (every season between 1998-2005

they proclaimed Maple Laughs cup winners around mid-February), and now that they suck it's Nucks fans who do most of such stuff.

I'm far from imputing this is any majority of fans, because most Nucks fans are nice and passionate ppl, but it's difficult to escape this hype.

I can easily imagine other fans having similar feelings towards Wings hype in 2002 for example.

Honest question, what did the Canucks ever do to the Wings to make them so hated here on these forums?

Pretty much everyone I've talked to in Vancouver has a ton of respect for the Red Wings and their organization (great, classy players; fantastic management). Even our own GM said they want to model Vancouver's franchise based on the way the Red Wings are run.

We don't really have any playoff rivalry, nor can I think of any incident a Canuck has done to a Red Wing to garner such hatred.. am I missing something? I'm personally a big fan of the Wings and always root for them when the Canucks are out of the playoffs; but reading the forums here makes me want to dislike the Wings because you hate us so much. (probably a very illogical feeling but likely a natural reaction)

I don't many here hate the Canucks. However, one read of a Canucks GTD on HFBoards (especially in the Stanley Cup section) can easily give someone a bad taste about the fans- although the offending posters certainly don't represent a majority of the fanbase.

Another possibility is that the Canucks are basing their organization on the way the Wings are run. It's great to be on top, and it's always a bit upsetting when someone emulates you and be as good (or better).

Overall, I respect the Canucks a lot. I also respect any informed fan of another team (we're all fans of the greatest sport on earth IMO) regardless of if I root for their team to succeed or fail.

I don't have an issue with the Canucks. I have an issue with a fanbase that seems to have a sense of entitlement and don't know how to handle winning.

Year after Year, we hear from some Canucks fans going on about how this is their year, and how they're so much better than everyone else. Only to see them go out in the first or second round of the playoffs. The unfortunate part is there are a lot of good Canucks fans around, the problem is they are drowned out by the blowhards.

That thread that says "I hate the Canucks" is also not the general consensus. But yes, going to your boards, most living things would not care for your fans. Just facts as we aren't liked either.

If it's any consolation, most true Canuck fans hate our own fans at Canucks.com....

it's always a bit upsetting when someone emulates you and be as good (or better).

You know what they say about imitation as the best form of flattery.. but we haven't won a single cup; so we are nowhere near as good (or better) yet *fingers crossed*

Edited by KeslerFan

As a Canadian, generally the flack I end up taking is because I dont cheer for a Canadian team (as if there was a team that was ACTUALLY Canadian).. I live on the east coast so having to listen to ridiculous Leafs, Habs and even Sens fans all day creates a general dislike for me in all of those teams.. but if I was gonna cheer for any "Canadian" team then it would probably be the Canucks. They are fun to watch and have a lot of skill. I assume the perpesctive you are seeing is the same as what a Wings fan would see reading a Canucks forum.. The compliments don't stand out too much but then you read a couple flames or jabs at your team and thats all you remember from it.. Its kind of human nature.. the same as a fan will remember every bad call a ref made during a game but cant recall any of the good ones.

Anyways, I don't think it's just the Wings fans who are taking shots at the Canucks.. I follow a lot of hockey fans and writers for a lot of different teams on Twitter and it comes from pretty much all of them equally..

I don't hate the Canucks...I definitely wanted them to beat Chicago. I mean, I guess I was kind of fried at them for a couple days after they beat us at the game I went to in March, but I got over it, and while I'm not really a fan of the "Luuuu" thing, that's not half annoying as, say, the Hawks' goal song, so yeah, not too much angst there. I'm sure they have some annoying fans, but all teams do, so I'm not going to hold that against them. Overall, they're okay in my book.

Like most have stated previously; I don't believe anyone legitimately hates the actual Vancouver Canuck team. I personally love most of your players and the style of hockey they play. I know Gilles has been mimicking the Detroit front office organization and trying to bring more success in their future. Now, with all of that said, I think it's been the fan base that talks on HF boards, at games, and a few that come here and have ruined a lot of the respect of the Canucks. With 3/4 of the season done all we had to deal with was threads about statistics dealing with Vancouver winning a cup, dominating this, dominating that; it became old. I respect that you came on here and asked this question though, because I, myself, have been pondering where all this hatred came from really.

also they boo bert for no reason, he played some amazing hockey for the nucks and he soesnt get any respect for it the guy made one mistake. yes i know some stupid wings fans hate fedorov and what not, but those are just ignorant people with no respect. but we can all agree on one thing.....f*** the hawks!!

also they boo bert for no reason, he played some amazing hockey for the nucks and he soesnt get any respect for it the guy made one mistake. yes i know some stupid wings fans hate fedorov and what not, but those are just ignorant people with no respect.

I honestly haven't heard the Bertuzzi boos.. the general sentiment towards Big Bert as I understand it is quite positive.

but we can all agree on one thing.....f*** the hawks!!

Damn straight :D

I don't hate the Canucks at all. Personally, I hate the Sharks and their fans more than the Canucks and their fans. This might be that I was in attendance for the sharks and kings game 4 last Thursday in Staples Center, and a group of shark fans were being really annoying and rowdy. Granted, I know there are a few bad apples in every bunch, but the Shark HfBoards area is just a bamboozle - fest against the Red Wings already. The Shark fans are already calling Wing fans out as too confident and pompous. Whereas, I was able to have a civil discussion with Canuck fans on their HfBoards after the game 6 "debacle" if you want to call it. The Canuck fans were much nicer to me, even in a dark and troubling time for them. :ranting:

Don't have a problem with them at all, they're an awesome team and they have a hometown boy on their team (Kesler). I think most people just wanted them to lose because it would knock out a strong team and one of the favorites to win the whole thing.

If the Wings don't win, I want Vancouver to because that city deserves a cup.

Edited by Trapt1307