• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KeslerFan

Question: Why do Wings fans hate the Canucks?

Rate this topic

The Canucks do have the best goalie, the best defensive forward, the two best offensive forwards and the next Lidstrom on their team this season. Or at least I have heard and read throughout the course of the year, in addition to them having the best post-lockout team, by far.

Yeah, that does get annoying.

Edited by egroen

Being a huge fan of nearly every Swedish player in the league Vancouver is by no means my second favorite team, but like you said I have no reason to hate them.

If Detroit can't manage the finals I wouldn't mind a new team win it...

I will admit I get pretty tired playing against the Canucks like 90% of the time I play online NHL11 (on xbox, obviously, you poor poor PS3 players)

Their organization whines almost as much as their fans, Sedins dive, Burrows dives, Luongo dives a lot, the fanbase overall is annoying and always talk up their team which has never won anything,

Good summation, there, actually.

I've lived all over the world. In '98 I moved to Bellingham and tried to become a Canucks fan (2nd to the Wings, of course).

But Brian Burke was an unbelievable whiner. He was incredibly condescending in every interview I ever heard on The Team 1040. In short, he was a jackass. ("If Trevor Linden gets a better offer than what I gave him, I'll drive him to the airport"). Crawford was an ass in his interviews too. Always defensive, etc.

It trickled down thru the organization and the team, although incredibly talented, was rancid.

Matt Cooke.

Dave Nonis was Burke Jr. Schooled by Burke and was a walking Mini Me of Burke. Made some good moves, but the guys attitude was impossilbe to like.

The Green Guys.

The "Luuuuuuuuuuu" everytime a puck hits Luongo in the logo. Annoying, 2nd only to the Jordan Tootoo whistle. If you want to heap praise on a player, you wait for the player to accumulate a few great moments and then when he ragdolls an opponent and turns the tide of a game, all 18,000 of you chant his name in unison: "Todd Ber TU Zi!"

Gillis is also super condescending in his interviews to the Team 1040. He is getting a little better, but just the other day I was thinking what a great interview Ken Holland is. Holland, Babcock, Devallano, Nil, the Illitch's, all people I would love to have over to my house for dinner. Not Gillis.

Gillis is smart, though. He refers to Detroit as the Gold Standard for NHL franchises and that's what he wants to do in Vancouver. That's cool. It seems he has that team set up real well. On the other hand, who locks an unproven goalie up for 12 years? And I guess we will see about the Sedins. I've liked them for a long time and stood up for them when Canuck fans called them the Sedin Sisters. I am super glad that the twins won the Art Ross back to back. (Can you imaing eif Burke would have signed them in Toronto before Gillis resigned them, and they won the Art Ross back to back in Torontao instead of Vancouver! :angry: ) But Milbury was right when he called them the Twinkies saying they have been totally ineffective in round one and are afraid to go to the ruff parts of the ice, unlike Pavs and Z.

It's cool that they have a Michigan boy leading the charge.

AV is a likeable coach. I'm glad he is doing well.

I've tried to like Burrows but just can't.

I like Sammy, and Erhoff was a great addition. Torres? I just don't know about that guy. Manny Malhotra is a class act. (Married to NBA Steve Nash's sister) I wish him all the best in his recovery.

Vancouver's attitude after beating Chicago was not right.

I don't hate the Canucks, but they make it difficult to like them. A lot of people in Bellingham feel that way.

Edited by T.Low

Their organization whines almost as much as their fans, Sedins dive, Burrows dives, Luongo dives a lot, the fanbase overall is annoying and always talk up their team which has never won anything, stupid logo, weak coaching, and basically the opposite of the Detroit Red Wings.

Agree with this completely. I live near Vancouver and am tired of all their conspiracy theories over the past few years as to why they have a tough time in the playoffs. Last year it was someone who used to be in LA kings management who is now NHL war room that made decisions against the Canucks, and this year there was one saying that the NHL wanted Chicago to advance so they used the refs to influence the games. Such a good conspiracy that Chicago almost missed the playoffs and they didn't suspend Raffi Torres when they could have. This article by Tony Gallagher lays it out http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/columnists/story.html?id=f974df63-195e-40f8-b34e-b981e443321b

The above is the most annoying thing about their fan base, but the whining that their players and management do all the time is worse. Whether it's the complaining about Ron McClean's piece on Burrows (which by the was illustrates the cheap shot artist and diver he is), or penalties in the playoffs dating back to Brian Burke's famous "Sedin is not swedish for punch me in the head." Also John Garret is the single most biased colour commentator in the league.

These are the reasons I hate the Canucks. Most of it probably has to do with the fact that I live in an area dominated by Canuck fans, but they do get on my nerves.

Agree with this completely. I live near Vancouver and am tired of all their conspiracy theories over the past few years as to why they have a tough time in the playoffs. Last year it was someone who used to be in LA kings management who is now NHL war room that made decisions against the Canucks, and this year there was one saying that the NHL wanted Chicago to advance so they used the refs to influence the games. Such a good conspiracy that Chicago almost missed the playoffs and they didn't suspend Raffi Torres when they could have. This article by Tony Gallagher lays it out http://www2.canada.c...4e-b981e443321b

The above is the most annoying thing about their fan base, but the whining that their players and management do all the time is worse. Whether it's the complaining about Ron McClean's piece on Burrows (which by the was illustrates the cheap shot artist and diver he is), or penalties in the playoffs dating back to Brian Burke's famous "Sedin is not swedish for punch me in the head." Also John Garret is the single most biased colour commentator in the league.

These are the reasons I hate the Canucks. Most of it probably has to do with the fact that I live in an area dominated by Canuck fans, but they do get on my nerves.

Agree totally. I'm from BC too and its their fans that are worst. Hate hearing that its their year every year, even though they've failed in the playoffs every year. Even after getting by with a Game 7 OT, nucks fans think they are gonna roll through Nashville. Don't seem to understand that the playoffs are a totally different game and the regular season doesnt mean anything. Plus, I've always been hated on for liking an "American" Detroit Red Wings team which I laugh at. Yzerman, Shanahan, Draper, Maltby, are all Canadian Olympians and then Ken Holland, Yzerman, and Babcock made our Canadian gold medal team. Most of my hate comes from the fans and just a general rivalry formed from knowing Canucks fans, as a Red Wings fan.

PS: Go Predators. Shea Weber's beard has more playoff grit than the Sedin Sisters combined.

I don't hate the Canucks, just like I don't hate the Sharks. I'm just consistently disappointed by them. Unlike many here, I really love good, strong competition. I don't like feeling like there's no competitive teams out there. But you look at the teams that have consistent regular season success over the years out of the West and the Wings are about the only one's that have gone the distance. Sharks? Canucks? They constantly blow it when it really matters. Even last year when they beat an injury-riddled Wings with a rookie goalie who didn't get playoff hockey yet, the Sharks blew it in the Western Finals. And how long has it been since the Canucks even made it that far?

I just don't respect or really admire these flashy regular season teams that have no playoff legs. And I don't like Luongo. I think he's overpaid and overrated and he epitomizes everything that's wrong with teams like the Canucks and Sharks.

When we play Chicago, I hate them with a tenacious passion, but at all other points in time, I respect them and even kinda like them. They're a team with heart and talent and I think they'll win another Cup sometime in the next few years. I appreciate the fact that they bring a legitimate challenge to the table that I think we'll be able to count on for some time. Again, I love the battle and the competition. It makes victories sweeter when they come our way.

But so long as the Wings are healthy, I'm not intimidated by the Sharks or Canucks even a little bit. Not in the slightest. And even if they can fluke their way to a series win against us, deep down I know that they still won't go the distance and win the Cup, and that makes it all the more disappointing. I would love to be more scared of the Sharks or Canucks, because I'd like and respect them more as well because it'd be more fun to play them.

But they just don't have what it takes year after year, and until they do, they're just annoying, overrated teams that will keep getting beat by supposed "underdogs" in the playoffs.

I've always like the Canucks. Every team on the planet has fans that represent their team in a bad way, part of the reason I hate the hawks is because I went to school near Chicago and watched every person jump on that bandwagon when suddenly they were good.

Canucks fans have a right to think it's their year, they were the best team in the league this season. I would argue though that every team's fans in the playoffs would like to think it's their year.

I love Kesler, and would absolutely love to see him in a winged wheel. I can respect the OP for talking up the Wings organization in such a positive way, and as a die hard Wings fans, I am truly sorry that you've come across some ass hole Wings fans. Like I said, there will always be some jackasses making their team look bad, but the Wings are a class organization and as I fan I try to display class that will reflect positively on our team.

If the Wings lose (Knock on wood) I will cheer for the Nucks, after the Lightning of course, to win the cup.

i am from vancouver, but i am more of a detroit fan than a canucks fan. I have to say that canucks is not my favorite team because of previous management and their fanbase. You would really get pissed about all those wrong decisions made before by the organization, but it looks like they are changing in direction with mike gillis as the GM (which it good I think). But their fans is still a problem. The number of bandwagon fans who know nth at all is simply amazing. The entire city cheers for canucks when they are winning, but once they start losing, everyone hops off and diss the team. It's not easy to find a real canucks fan in vancouver actually. I especially hate how these bandwagon fans plan their Stanley cup parade route before they even get past the first/second round of playoffs (c'mon, this is just plain stupid)

The "Luuuuuuuuuuu" everytime a puck hits Luongo in the logo.

Good call, I can't believe I forgot about this. The puck could even deflect off a defender out front and go wide of the goal and those idiots still chant Luuuuuu like he did anything. Or like you said the puck hits him right in the chest and they chant like it actually took any effort to save it. For a fanbase that claims to be knowledgeable there sure are a lot of morons.

Edited by Tommy_Like_Wingy

I used to be indifferent toward the Canucks, but this year, they're really annoying me. The "Luuu" when the puck touches Luongo. The diving from the Sedin twins, the whining, the lack of respect for the other team (ie: "They had no business playing us in a 7th game" - Henrik Sedin)

They have a long way to go to reach Penguins or Blackhawks level hatred, but they're moving up.

2002: "Sedin is not English for 'Punch me, or headlock me in a scrum'. . . " - Brian Burke

2011: "I’m not sure how you explain that discrepancy, but we’re going to be very hard-pressed to win hockey games if, throughout an entire series when the score is tight, they get 75 per cent more power plays than we do." - Mike Gillis

#epicofficiatingwhines

also they boo bert for no reason, he played some amazing hockey for the nucks and he soesnt get any respect for it the guy made one mistake. yes i know some stupid wings fans hate fedorov and what not, but those are just ignorant people with no respect. but we can all agree on one thing.....f*** the hawks!!

Whenever the Wings played the Canuck's in Vancouver, there were definitely enough Bert boos in the crowd that it was picked up by the broadcast.

also they boo bert for no reason, he played some amazing hockey for the nucks and he soesnt get any respect for it the guy made one mistake. yes i know some stupid wings fans hate fedorov and what not, but those are just ignorant people with no respect. but we can all agree on one thing.....f*** the hawks!!

I will never understand why any Wings fan would hate on Fedorov. The guy played amazing hockey wearing the Winged Wheel, and he's done a lot of the city of Detroit.

I think the only reason there's any negative sentiment against the Canuck's around here is because they've been picked to win the Stanley Cup since January. That, combined with some of the obnoxious fans that choose to post here, have made Vancouver the enemy. Some people are just more vocal about it than others.

Kesler is a beast also. Definitely one of my top 3 favorite players. Would do me some good to see the Wings and the Nucks in the WCF and for us to win and have the parade route to be once again filed away. Fans are fans but the main issue is it becomes a Canada/USA thing with them. Nothing different than the Laughs or Habs fans; it's cool.

Also, with success comes the haters. The Wings and Wings fans have had targets on our backs for a while, because of what the team has been able to accomplish. Kind of goes with the territory, think of it as a compliment.

Also, with success comes the haters. The Wings and Wings fans have had targets on our backs for a while, because of what the team has been able to accomplish. Kind of goes with the territory, think of it as a compliment.

So what you're getting at here, is that:

Haters%2BGonna%2BHate%2B-%2BGators%2BGonna%2BGait%2B-%2BWaiters%2BGonna%2BWait%2B%2B-%2BTaters%2BGonna%2BTate%2B-%2BGraters%2BGonna%2BGrate%2B-%2BPainters%2BGonna%2BPaint.jpg

Agree with this completely. I live near Vancouver and am tired of all their conspiracy theories over the past few years as to why they have a tough time in the playoffs. Last year it was someone who used to be in LA kings management who is now NHL war room that made decisions against the Canucks, and this year there was one saying that the NHL wanted Chicago to advance so they used the refs to influence the games. Such a good conspiracy that Chicago almost missed the playoffs and they didn't suspend Raffi Torres when they could have. This article by Tony Gallagher lays it out http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/columnists/story.html?id=f974df63-195e-40f8-b34e-b981e443321b

Could not agree with you more on this one. I don't think he sees another team out on the ice besides the Canucks