Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Question: Why do Wings fans hate the Canucks?

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#121 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

I just assumed the Green Men had no junk. How else do you get in a green spandex suit? I bet the Sedins know.

I would think that a set of balls would be required to even think of putting one of those suits on.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#122 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:27 PM

Honest question, what did the Canucks ever do to the Wings to make them so hated here on these forums?

Pretty much everyone I've talked to in Vancouver has a ton of respect for the Red Wings and their organization (great, classy players; fantastic management). Even our own GM said they want to model Vancouver's franchise based on the way the Red Wings are run.

We don't really have any playoff rivalry, nor can I think of any incident a Canuck has done to a Red Wing to garner such hatred.. am I missing something? I'm personally a big fan of the Wings and always root for them when the Canucks are out of the playoffs; but reading the forums here makes me want to dislike the Wings because you hate us so much. (probably a very illogical feeling but likely a natural reaction)

Speaking for myself: I don't have a grudge against the Canucks. I was rooting for them up until Thomas started putting on a clinic and Luongo fell apart on the road. At that point I felt like it could be Thomas' last shot at a Cup. With the way he was playing at 37 years old it felt like this was his his year.

The Canucks have a really bright future ahead of them, though. They need to get Luongo a full-time sports psychologist, though. Getting to the finals and falling short was something the Wings had to go through in the 90's (when they were swept by the Devils) before the dynastic group of Wings players put it all together.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#123 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

If last nights shameful acts weren't enough reason to answer this question, I don't know what is...

best and most appropriate resurrection of a thread ever by the way!

haha yea.... saw the stuff about the riots, remembered this thread from a while back, had to bump it, and someone gave me a minus for it...

oh and lol @luongo, he should play for the sharks, would choke with the rest of them.

Edited by wings1110, 16 June 2011 - 02:35 PM.

#124 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

haha yea.... saw the stuff about the riots, remembered this thread from a while back, had to bump it, and someone gave me a minus for it...

oh and lol @luongo, he should play for the sharks, would choke with the rest of them.

Well, I got you even...

Luongo seems to fall apart when the pressure is on... this is why a team simply cannot drop that kinda money on a goalie, if he wasn't so high priced, they could have gone to Schneider and maybe would have won... I personally think Schneider is ready for a starting gig...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#125 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

the whole chanting lou after every save is pretty annoying
Posted Image

#126 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

That didn't happen as often as it could have.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#127 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

It's more a matter of fans being a bunch of arrogant jackasses. Proof in point, rioting after the game the other night. I know a lot of it wasn't real fans of the team, but damn, did you have to go and do that s*** and not only make your city look bad, but hockey fans in general??? I mean, come on, 100 people arrested, 150 taken to hospital for injuries - really, is that what you want people to remember about your team and its fans?
Posted Image

#128 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

they should be chanting boooo instead of louuuu.

#129 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

I was actually cheering for the Canucks every series but here's some pretty simple reasons why I would dislike the team:

Mouth piece Lapierre
Piece of s*** Burrows (Do Canucks fans even like Burrows?)
Sedins just taking punches and the rest of team just allowing the opposition to take advantage of their best players
The team that dives the most (including teams that compete in the sport of diving)
The way some of them handle the media and call out their own players (Kesler)
No one really on the team that stands out as "super likeable"

But I still don't hate them and like them more than Boston but the above should give you a start

#130 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#131 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

Honest question, what did the Canucks ever do to the Wings to make them so hated here on these forums?

Pretty much everyone I've talked to in Vancouver has a ton of respect for the Red Wings and their organization (great, classy players; fantastic management). Even our own GM said they want to model Vancouver's franchise based on the way the Red Wings are run.

We don't really have any playoff rivalry, nor can I think of any incident a Canuck has done to a Red Wing to garner such hatred.. am I missing something? I'm personally a big fan of the Wings and always root for them when the Canucks are out of the playoffs; but reading the forums here makes me want to dislike the Wings because you hate us so much. (probably a very illogical feeling but likely a natural reaction)

Honestly I like a handful of players on that team and have been of many Canucks players over the years. I'm a big Kesler fan, though less so with the diving this playoffs. But in my experience with Canucks fans this season, both online and in person, they've largely proven to be obnoxious and condescending. They act like no one understands the game of hockey as well as they do. And beyond that, have some weird need to get fans of other teams to agree that the Canucks are a great team. It's bizarre.

Add to that the way the Canucks played during this playoffs. The frequent diving, especially by the Sedins (it seems to be mostly Henrik) is embarrassing. They're certainly not the only guys in the league doing it, but I always hate when talented players flop like that. Kesler too. Then Burrows and his biting. Torres out running guys. It was a disgrace to the sport.

Add that all together and it makes for an easy team to hate. Or at least root to lose. I have to admit I did get some joy thinking of all the arrogant a-hole Canucks fans I've run across this season suffering as their team choked in game 7.

Just goes to show dominating in the regular season does not equal the Cup.

#132 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

if im a goalie, that rattles me. its kinda weird. just cheer for the guy.

#133 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

Honestly I like a handful of players on that team and have been of many Canucks players over the years. I'm a big Kesler fan, though less so with the diving this playoffs. But in my experience with Canucks fans this season, both online and in person, they've largely proven to be obnoxious and condescending. They act like no one understands the game of hockey as well as they do. And beyond that, have some weird need to get fans of other teams to agree that the Canucks are a great team. It's bizarre.

Add to that the way the Canucks played during this playoffs. The frequent diving, especially by the Sedins (it seems to be mostly Henrik) is embarrassing. They're certainly not the only guys in the league doing it, but I always hate when talented players flop like that. Kesler too. Then Burrows and his biting. Torres out running guys. It was a disgrace to the sport.

Add that all together and it makes for an easy team to hate. Or at least root to lose. I have to admit I did get some joy thinking of all the arrogant a-hole Canucks fans I've run across this season suffering as their team choked in game 7.

Just goes to show dominating in the regular season does not equal the Cup.

I agree wholeheartedly with all of this.

#134 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

I do feel sorry for Luongo though

#135 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

How come?

Personally, I don't feel bad for him in the slightest. His play, his comments, his attitude - nothing to respect there from my standpoint.
Posted Image

#136 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:38 AM

Personally, I don't feel bad for him in the slightest. His play, his comments, his attitude - nothing to respect there from my standpoint.

At least he only let in 23 goals over 7 games and not 24 goals.

#137 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:05 AM

He'll be averaging $5.5m for the next 11 years. I don't feel any sympathy for him, regardless of how terrible he may play at times.

#138 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:30 AM

At least he only let in 23 goals over 7 games and not 24 goals.

Actually, only 20 goals. 2 were on Schneider, one was an EN. That should give him something more to smile about. :D

#139 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

He'll be averaging $5.5m for the next 11 years. I don't feel any sympathy for him, regardless of how terrible he may play at times.

That's what makes it even funnier. The cap hit is lower because of length of contract, but Luongo got paid $10 million this year.

#140 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

I don't hate them but neither like them.The way they behaved on and off the ice this year's Playoffs is pretty pathetic and the best of all is that they talk about stepping up in the SCF next year like it's sure thing :thumbdown: