• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 1 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Sharks 2 (OT)

Rate this topic

Tough loss last night. To kill a double minor and then to have them score once it was even strength really sucked. Just a bad deflection, though. We definitely got out-played and out-skated most of the night. Many times, even 5 on 5, the Sharks kept sustained possession in our end and looked they were on the power play for extended times. Dats was like a pointguard out there, continuously looking to set people up on every shift but we just did not get any breaks crashing the net. The Sharks played a great game on D and really took away a lot of open ice with a relentless forecheck. It was a good hockey game and could have gone either way really. The Mule had a chance to end it right before the goal on a deflection that just went wide left.

For most of the game the reffing wasn't bad. But then the patented NHL Inconsistent Refereeing kicked in. You can't tell me the boarding call and Abdelkader's double minor for no blood were good calls? And what do you know, those were the crucial moments of the game.

Agree, what bothers me is that you know the refs are looking for something to call against the team that's ahead. The team behind can get away with murder sometimes.

I noticed there's an article in the Free Press today titled Wings can't afford penalties against the Sharks, that's fine, but what can you do when they're only going to call penalties against the team that's ahead?

Edit: Take Game 7 in the Vancouver-Chicago series, when Vancouver got a late Power Play when they were up by a goal even the announcers were shocked Chicago got called. That's what's wrong with the officiating.

Edited by Barrie

PP goals aren't very impressive, especially when they are gained through soccer tactics.

And notice it's the North Americans using soccer tactics, not the Europeans. That puts to bed any argument Don Cherry and other Canadians think that it's only the Europeans who dive.

We need to get more than one forward going!Pavel was great again but after that wow not much production Hank looked understandably rust,But we had alot of forwards look bad Cleary,Bert,Franzen combined for one shot and we had five forwards with no shots.Hopfuly it was just the long lay off and all four lines contribute Sunday or this could be a short series!

I can't take credit for this, but I agree with it 100%

----

Now... I've been a lifelong Red Wings fan. But after the OT loss to the Sharks tonight, I've seen facebook, twitter, and forum posts pop up with the same opinion being shared, mostly of the following variety:

"zOMG we lost! The NHL has it out for us! We're never going to win!"

"The referees screwed us!! 6 penalties for, only 2 against! This is a conspiracy!!"

So, since I frown on stupidity, we're going to break this down, period by period, goal by goal, penalty by penalty, and educate people as to what actually happened tonight.

P.S. - Penalties were 7-4, not 6-2.

FIRST PERIOD

Red Wings come out of the gates flying. Good forecheck, good swarming through the neutral zone causing a lot of dump-ins. Officials seem to be letting the players play rather than get themselves too involved (which in the playoffs, is what should be happening).

Goals: Good pressure by the Wings in the offensive zone. Datsyuk rolls out of the corner with the puck, and Lidstrom, realizing all the Sharks are puck-watching, sneaks down the slot in a perfect example of an umbrella offense, and one-times the puck home.

Penalties: A skirmish after a cross-check by Scott Nichol leads to Nichol heading to the box, as well as one from each team for the skirmish.

Current penalties: DET: 1 SJ: 2

Jonathan Ericsson gets caught on a bad pinch, and water-skis a guy rushing up the ice on the odd-man rush.

Current penalties: DET: 2 SJ: 2

Dany Heatley goes to throw a hit, but his wide stance causes Stuart to wipe out. A very very marginal call (In the Red Wings favor? Are you SERIOUS? That goes against everything our conspiratorial belief stands for!).

Current penalties: DET: 2 SJ: 3

SECOND PERIOD

Aaaand here come the Sharks. Shots were 18-9 this period, and how the Sharks didn't tie this game up in the middle stanza, I'll never know. Let's put it this way, when the Zamboni came out between 2 and 3, they only had to clean half the ice, because I don't think the Red Wings sniffed center ice. Jimmy Howard stands on his head in an MVP effort.

Goals: None. Refer to the Jimmy Howard statement in previous paragraph.

Penalties: Jiri Hudler for tripping. When you put your stick on a guy's ankle and YANK, you're probably going to sit for a couple. Sorry bud.

Current penalties: DET: 3 SJ: 3 (SOOO lopsided, right?)

Joe Pavelski snows Jimmy Howard. Howard takes offense. One a piece. Fairly simple decision.

Current penalties: DET: 4 SJ: 4 (OMG, NHL's fault)

THIRD PERIOD

There's the goal I called about 45 minutes before it was scored. More of the same in the 3rd. The Sharks dominating and Jimmy Howard bailing the Wings out long enough for them to dump the puck in and get a line change.

Goals: Pavelski late in the 3rd. Drew Miller blows a tire, giving Joe Thornton a lane for a shot that rebounds off Howard, giving Pavelski an opportunity to show off his hand-eye coordination with a baseball bat swing into the net (This is obviously the NHL/official's fault, not Paul Boyer for putting a decent edge on Miller's skates in between periods).

Penalties: Todd Bertuzzi for an OBVIOUS board. I understand the NHL standard is sketchy at best regarding boarding and checking from behind, but you can't hit a guy from behind 2 ft. from the boards. The first thing that hit the glass was his face. At this point, my officiating spider sense started tingling, and I even twitched putting my arm in the air. No joke.

Current penalties: DET: 5 SJ: 4

Patrick Eaves tries to hacksaw a defender's hand off. The least he could have done was slash him low on the stick and make it LOOK like he was trying to play the puck (which was 50 ft. away at the time).

Current penalties: DET: 6 SJ: 4

OVERTIME

Same overtone as previous 40 minutes. SJ dominating, Wings holding on by a thread. At the start of OT, I told my brother I would put money on the Red Wings losing the game.

Penalties: Red Wings get a 3-1 odd man rush. Abdelkader doesn't even get a shot on goal, and he expresses his anger by clipping Murray in the face with his stick. It's the right call, you split a guy open with a high stick, it's 4 minutes. No questions asked, no marginality to it, no "NHL conspiracy". You have a problem with it, keep your damn stick down. Problem solved.

Goals: Saw this one coming. The Red Wings, after successfully killing off the 4 minute power play, are pinned in their zone. Ferreiro puts a lazy shot on net, that hits a defenseman's stick and befuddles Jimmy Howard. Those are the kinds of goals that win OT games in the playoffs (I reference Burrows' knuckleball clapper to eliminate Chicago in Game 7 this week).

OVERALL THOUGHTS

You get outshot 45-26 in the playoffs, you're not going to win many (if any) games. There were three people that showed up in white jerseys to play today, and they wore 5, 13, and 35.

The referees didn't screw anybody. Neither did the NHL. Neither of these entities have sticks in their hands, sticks that fired 46 shots in just under 70 minutes of play. The reason the Red Wings lost is the 20 guys in black jerseys that wanted it more, and were the more talented team tonight. So drop the conspiracy/poor officiating crap, before you give yourself an aneurysm. It's only hockey, after all.

Thank you, and good night.

Guest Save The Octopus

The Wings got outplayed for 2 and a half periods and were still able to force this game to OT. IF that isn't a testament to the skill and depth on this team then I don't know what is.

If the Wings continue to lose games where Jimmy plays like a god then this will be a short series. The Kopitar-less LA Kings should not have a more potent offense against the Sharks than the Wings. Simply unacceptable.

First Period: Wings play perfect road period. Sharks get a few decent puck to the net.

Periods 2 & 3: Sharks focused on D before O and transitioned the puck through the neutral zone pretty easily. Howard kept your team in the game. Pavel was amazing all game as usual.

All this referee talk is complete garbage. Questionable calls on Nichol in the first and Pavelski in the second. This was a completely different SJ team that showed up. Penalties are drawn when teams are being outhustled, outplayed.

----

Now... I've been a lifelong Red Wings fan. But after the OT loss to the Sharks tonight, I've seen facebook, twitter, and forum posts pop up with the same opinion being shared, mostly of the following variety:

"The referees screwed us!! 6 penalties for, only 2 against! This is a conspiracy!!"

So, since I frown on stupidity, we're going to break this down, period by period, goal by goal, penalty by penalty, and educate people as to what actually happened tonight.

FIRST PERIOD

Red Wings come out of the gates flying. Good forecheck, good swarming through the neutral zone causing a lot of dump-ins. Officials seem to be letting the players play rather than get themselves too involved (which in the playoffs, is what should be happening).

Goals: Good pressure by the Wings in the offensive zone. Datsyuk rolls out of the corner with the puck, and Lidstrom, realizing all the Sharks are puck-watching, sneaks down the slot in a perfect example of an umbrella offense, and one-times the puck home.

Penalties: A skirmish after a cross-check by Scott Nichol leads to Nichol heading to the box, as well as one from each team for the skirmish.

Jonathan Ericsson gets caught on a bad pinch, and water-skis a guy rushing up the ice on the odd-man rush.

Dany Heatley goes to throw a hit, but his wide stance causes Stuart to wipe out. A very very marginal call (In the Red Wings favor? Are you SERIOUS? That goes against everything our conspiratorial belief stands for!).

SECOND PERIOD

Aaaand here come the Sharks. Shots were 18-9 this period, and how the Sharks didn't tie this game up in the middle stanza, I'll never know. Let's put it this way, when the Zamboni came out between 2 and 3, they only had to clean half the ice, because I don't think the Red Wings sniffed center ice. Jimmy Howard stands on his head in an MVP effort.

Penalties: Jiri Hudler for tripping. When you put your stick on a guy's ankle and YANK, you're probably going to sit for a couple. Sorry bud.

Joe Pavelski snows Jimmy Howard. Howard takes offense. One a piece. Fairly simple decision.

THIRD PERIOD

There's the goal I called about 45 minutes before it was scored. More of the same in the 3rd. The Sharks dominating and Jimmy Howard bailing the Wings out long enough for them to dump the puck in and get a line change.

Goals: Pavelski late in the 3rd. Drew Miller blows a tire, giving Joe Thornton a lane for a shot that rebounds off Howard, giving Pavelski an opportunity to show off his hand-eye coordination with a baseball bat swing into the net (This is obviously the NHL/official's fault, not Paul Boyer for putting a decent edge on Miller's skates in between periods).

Penalties: Todd Bertuzzi for an OBVIOUS board. I understand the NHL standard is sketchy at best regarding boarding and checking from behind, but you can't hit a guy from behind 2 ft. from the boards. The first thing that hit the glass was his face. At this point, my officiating spider sense started tingling, and I even twitched putting my arm in the air. No joke.

Patrick Eaves tries to hacksaw a defender's hand off. The least he could have done was slash him low on the stick and make it LOOK like he was trying to play the puck (which was 50 ft. away at the time).

OVERTIME

Same overtone as previous 40 minutes. SJ dominating, Wings holding on by a thread. At the start of OT, I told my brother I would put money on the Red Wings losing the game.

Penalties: Red Wings get a 3-1 odd man rush. Abdelkader doesn't even get a shot on goal, and he expresses his anger by clipping Murray in the face with his stick. It's the right call, you split a guy open with a high stick, it's 4 minutes. No questions asked, no marginality to it, no "NHL conspiracy". You have a problem with it, keep your damn stick down. Problem solved.

Goals: Saw this one coming. The Red Wings, after successfully killing off the 4 minute power play, are pinned in their zone. Ferreiro puts a lazy shot on net, that hits a defenseman's stick and befuddles Jimmy Howard. Those are the kinds of goals that win OT games in the playoffs (I reference Burrows' knuckleball clapper to eliminate Chicago in Game 7 this week).

OVERALL THOUGHTS

You get outshot 45-26 in the playoffs, you're not going to win many (if any) games. There were three people that showed up in white jerseys to play today, and they wore 5, 13, and 35.

The referees didn't screw anybody. Neither did the NHL. Neither of these entities have sticks in their hands, sticks that fired 46 shots in just under 70 minutes of play. The reason the Red Wings lost is the 20 guys in black jerseys that wanted it more, and were the more talented team tonight. So drop the conspiracy/poor officiating crap, before you give yourself an aneurysm. It's only hockey, after all.

Yea but it's still more fun to complain :hehe:

Edit: and I still don't like that the team behind in the 3rd never gets penalties called against them. You can't tell me the team ahead is always the one breaking the rules.

Edited by Barrie

I won't argue with the lack of effort, but Bertuzzi's "obvious board" was anything but...Pavelski whipped his head back like Bertuzzi was shanking him on the prison rec yard, blatant embellishment.

Edit: and I still don't like that the team behind in the 3rd never gets penalties called against them. You can't tell me the team ahead is always the one breaking the rules.

Exactly. The team that needs help gets it every time. Makes for better tv that way. :thumbdown:

esteef

I won't argue with the lack of effort, but Bertuzzi's "obvious board" was anything but...Pavelski whipped his head back like Bertuzzi was shanking him on the prison rec yard, blatant embellishment.

Amen. Obvious? LOL.

Didn`t you hear? They have two new NHL awards this year. The Joe Pavelski Trophy which is a trophy awarded to "that player that best acts on ice to draw penalties so as to be worthy of a movie career" and the Devin Setiguchi Trophy which is a trophy awarded to the player that "takes a dive so good, you swore the team signed Greg Louganis to the roster."

Guest Heaten

Call me a complainer, call me a bad fan, call me unreasonable, but I am really sour over the officiating last night. I'm not disputing the 4 minute high sticking. The game never should have went to OT. The call on Bertuzzi was questionable at best. Eaves slashing was weak. I was fine when the refs let the Sharks trip Helm on a potential break away, but when Filpulla got hit in similar fashion as Pavelaski did from Bertuzzi after they tied the game, that made me realize Wings were not going to win this game.

Signed,

A sour fan.

Z wasn't himself (expected), Dats was good, Helm, Flip and Huds each played well but not up to their normal level. Franzen was a waste of ice time; he didn't get a single shot on net and wasn't even really a threat. That will have to change.

I'm not sure whether I would change the top two lines; switching Huds and Z might help, but other than that it largely comes down to Huds not putting it away, Flip not shooting, and Franzen not showing up.

A good argument could be made to swap Abby and Helm; possibly even sit Abby and put Draper on the fourth line. I'd say at least give it another game though, maybe try Cleary/Helm/Bert out in practice. Or another option would be rolling out Z/Dats/Bert, Huds/Flip/Franzen, Cleary/Helm/Eaves, and Miller/Draper/Holmstrom. The listed fourth line is more of a "substitutes" list than anything. Homer would work in for Bert, Huds, and Franzen; Miller would PK and work in for Cleary/Eaves, and Draper would PK and work in for anyone on the third line.

I like all of this. Especially putting Draper in. He is one of the best on PK's. I think Cleary will come back and Franzen just absolutely has to get his s*** and focus together and SHOOT MORE.

And please. Cut down the fricking passing in the offensive zone. JUST SHOOT AT THE NET. Niemi is very vulnerable. The Wings HAVE to take advantage of that.

You know the only thing that always kills big sharks in the wild is the Orca Whale right?

You know (one of) the only thing(s) that always kills threads is a smart-ass troll/flamer, right?

I don't think the reffing was as horrible as everyone is claiming it to be. The only call that should not have been made was the Rafalski penalty on Heatley. If you get your stick nears someones face and they jerk their head back, it'll get called 9/10. If you slash near the hands and they go down in a heap, that'll be called 9/10. If you tap someone in the numbers against the boards and they go down like they've been shot, that'll get called 9/10 at full speed. Wings either need to stop giving the refs something to call, or start diuving themselves.

We WILL win game two, mark it down!!!

LET'S GO WINGS!!!

Eaves also got away with a trip on Somebody... :noevil:

Can't wait to see the Warren Report on the Pavelski assassination. Guy looked like he took at least 3 bullets on that one. Probably was triangulated crossfire that got him.

:lol: Sick and twisted, but well-played sir! :thumbup:

----

I agree with all of this (how can I disagree with the actual count?!), but Abby was not "expressing his anger" with his high-stick penalty. He had his back to the player and had already flailed his stick up too high. Overkill in that statement. Otherwise, pritty factual, methinks.

Am I the only one who thinks Howard gave up a bad goal on that first one?

Instead of swallowing up that initial shot, he gave up an easy rebound right for Pavelski to bunt into the net.

No you're spot on, thats what I thought too. Speaking of rebounds, I'm extremely surprised at Niemi's play. I though he'ld have more crappy rebounds after watching the LA series

I think the bright spot in all of this is that Detroit played an absolutely horrible game got the short end of the calls and still only lost in OT off a lucky deflection.

Wings need to plays Wings hockey tomorrow and get to Niemi early and often, make the refs not be a factor.

GO WINGS!

I think the bright spot in all of this is that Detroit played an absolutely horrible game got the short end of the calls and still only lost in OT off a lucky deflection.

Wings need to plays Wings hockey tomorrow and get to Niemi early and often, make the refs not be a factor.

GO WINGS!

I've already said this in this thread a couple times, but I totally agree on getting to Niemi. If there's one thing I took out of that game, it's that he's as shaky as I thought he was. While Howard was swallowing pucks up, Niemi was struggling to find them and kicking out huge rebounds -- Detroit just didn't have enough people flying to the net to take advantage. He's GOING to give up goals. If the Wings' grinders start getting to the net in Game 2, it will look completely different on that end of the ice.

----

FIRST PERIOD

SECOND PERIOD

THIRD PERIOD

OVERTIME

OVERALL THOUGHTS

Honestly though, nobody cares about coincidental minors. People look at at power plays which give one team an advantage. Arguing that San Jose actually had 4 penalties and not 2 doesn't change anything. This guy might be a life long Wing's fan but it doesn't make him intelligent.

We got outplayed 5 on 5 in the 2nd. We came out sharper in the 3rd but our momentum that we worked up got taken away by the refs figuring out that their whistles do work. Stuff that wasn't called in the 2nd was being called late in the 3rd. That is where I have a problem with it. Either call it all game or don't call it all game. It's that simple.

Edited by zettie85

I don't know why you guys are acting surprised b/c did you not see the Wings struggle against teams like the Sharks in the regular season? Did you not see all the blown leads or flat out blowouts? Did you not see all the games they got shutout or lost 2-1? They were playing dead all night and still had a chance for the steal but Todd Bertuzzi had to take a dumb penalty and thus give the series completely away! If anyone thinks the Wings win this series they are a serious Homer b/c the proof is in the pudding as the Wings puck posession game no longer exists e.g. 40+ shots on goal? This team was flawed all year long and they have been flawed since June 2009 when they let Cindy Crybaby hoist the Cup at the Joe!

Guest Heaten

I thought Detroit played the perfect road game. They played a tight checking game and played solid defensively. Wings owned the 1st and most of the 3rd. Wings outhit the Sharks and seemed to be smart with the puck. The 'shots on goal' stat was scewed, VS announces called 12 shots on net for detroit. Then Red Wings took 3 more nice shots on Niemi, yet announcers called them with 12 shots still later in the game. Home team always screw the SOG stats. Red Wings played pretty damn good for being on the road and getting 8 days off. Detroit definitely deserved to win that game. Sharks can't even score 5-on-5. I know they got credit for 5-on-5 for the 2nd goal, but the players were exhausted and out of position.

Wings win that game 10 times out of 10 with fair and balanced officiating.