• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 1 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Sharks 2 (OT)

Rate this topic

al_the_octopus_by_bruins4life.jpg?w=300&h=240

LetsGoWings.com

Your Official Game Day Thread

Final Score:

Sharks 2, Red Wings 1 (OT)

San Jose gets by Detroit in overtime in Series opener

2011%2BNHL%2BPlayoff%2BLogo.jpg

PLAYOFF EDITION

- - Western Conference Semi-Finals: Game One - -

- - Series Tied 0-0- -

Detroit_Red_Wings.jpgVS. San_Jose_Sharks.jpg

Start time: 10:00 EST

HP Pavilion at San Jose - San Jose, CA

009_hp_pavilion.jpg

Available On:

75250-FSNDetroit180logo.jpgversus-tv.jpg971theticket_200.gif

Tonight's Stream

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php/user/15741-drumnj/

(Directions in profile)

GYI0063792888_crop_450x500.jpg?1299218330

Official Game Preview:

Detroit begins Western-Semis looking for revenge

- -

*Opposition GDT*

From LetsGoSharks.com

- -

2011_playoffs_header_left.jpg

EASTERN CONFERENCE

(5) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (1) Washington Capitals

Series Tied 0-0

(3) Boston Bruins vs. (2) Philadelphia Flyers

Series Tied 0-0

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(5) Nashville Predators vs. (1) Vancouver Canucks

VAN Leads 1-0

riples187e.png

det.png RED WINGS

82 GP, 47-25-10, 104 pts

1st in Central Division, 3rd in Western Conference

sj.pngSHARKS

82 GP, 48-25-9, 105 pts

1st in Pacific Division, 2nd in Western Conference

SAN JOSE-DETROIT REGULAR SEASON MATCHUPS

11/30, DET 5 at SJ 3 - Recap -

- LGW.com GDT

12/6, SJ 5 at DET 2 - Recap -

- LGW.com GDT

2/22, SJ 4 at DET 3 - Recap -

- LGW.com GDT

3/3, DET 1 at SJ 3 - Recap -

- LGW.com GDT

riples187f.png

Goals

DET Five tied at 2

SJ Ryan Clowe: 4

Assists

DET Pavel Datsyuk, Valtteri Filppula: 4

SJ Ian White: 5

Plus/Minus

DET Pavel Datsyuk, Niklas Kronwall, Ruslan Salei: +6

SJ Kyle Wellwood: +6

----

DET Justin Abdelkader: -1

SJ Jamal Mayers, Scott Nichol: -3

PIM

DET Todd Bertuzzi: 7

SJ Jamie McGinn: 15

riples187g.png

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Filppula-Franzen

Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi

Miller/Draper-Helm-Eaves

Modano scratched

Lidstrom-Stuart

Ericsson-Rafalski

Kronwall-Salei

SJ.gifProjected SJ Lines

Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi

Heatley-Couture-Clowe

Wellwood-Pavelski-Mitchell

McGinn-Nichol-Mayers

Wallin-White

Demers-Vlasic

Murray-Boyle

riples187h.png

det.png Jimmy Howard

108292463_crop_340x234.jpg?1298917130

Record:

4-0, 2.50 GAA, .915 SV%, 0 SO

----

versus.

----

sj.pngAntti Niemi

107173374_crop_340x234.jpg?1291752036

Record:

3-2, 3.99 GAA, .863 SV%, 0 SO

riples187i.png

det.pngRED WINGS

Chris Osgood (groin) out

sj.pngSHARKS

No injuries reported

On Deck

WC Semi-Finals: Game 2

5/1, Red Wings at Sharks ; 3:00 PM EST

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Awesome game day thread!

Might want to re-visit the Sharks lines. No wonder you folks have your Wings winning so easily.

No changes from the Kings series, so:

-Marleau, Thornton, Setoguchi

-Heatley, Couture, Clowe

-Wellwood, Pavelski, Mitchell

-McGinn, Nichol, Mayers

Awesome game day thread!

Might want to re-visit the Sharks lines. No wonder you folks have your Wings winning so easily.

No changes from the Kings series, so:

-Marleau, Thornton, Setoguchi

-Heatley, Couture, Clowe

-Wellwood, Pavelski, Mitchell

-McGinn, Nichol, Mayers

Got it....had your lines taken from the last game of the regular season, couldn't find any line combos on LGS.

Guest Save The Octopus

Anyone want to predict when the Sharks will get their first 5-on-3? :hehe:

Because the Wings have had so much time off, I feel like this game sparks a similar feeling to the beginning of the regular season, only that much greater because it's playoff time. Just like the beginning of this year's regular season, I feel pretty excited for this round. I sense that the Wings are rested and really itching to get after the Sharks.

I always worry when a team has a long layoff between rounds, they often come out flat in game 1. Hopefully Detroit can get their legs back quickly.

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

FINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY Here we go LGW second round opening game. I work at ******* 6 am the next day but I'll be awake for this one.

Game 1 Sharks 4 Wings 6

Should be a high scoring game.

Bold prediction - At least 1 5 on 3 for the Sharks and 1 goal disallowed for the Wings

But seriously 2 from Mule Hank Fil Kroners and Helm with the others

Heatly, Setoguchi, Nichol, and Vlasic for them

Hey, San Jose! Your city is dumb and on the wrong coast which screws up all of my schedules, and I don't like that or any of you! Our town is way better.

Don't believe me? Fine!

We'll settle this as men once did, a return to the old ways:

Hockey.

And so it begins...

2 teams becoming bitter rivals more and more every year. The Return of The Hank is upon us. The Return to the Tank for Hank. The Return of Hank the Tank ;) (shameless plug). Many subplots. Former assistant coach faces the teacher yet again. Can we contain Pavelski? Can anyone contain Pavel? (:lol:) and why the hell is the team named the Sharks anyway??? All this answered and more in this, the 2nd round of the 2011 playoffs. It is still over 14 hours away and I am all but ready to get it under way. I must not predict but we need 110% effort from beginning to end. No let up and show them that last year was indeed just a freak occurrence of the Hockey Gods attempting to prove a point if just for one season. GET IT DONE!

Edited by HankthaTank

Conference Semi-Final Series, since 1993-94

Games

This is 66th Conference Semi-Final Series game played. The Club’s record in the previous 65 games:

38W-27L

Series

This is 13th Conference Semi-Final Series played. The Club’s record in the previous 12 series:

8W-4L

In the Conference Semi-Final Series, the number of games played and the Club’s record are:

4 games - 3: 3W-0L

5 games - 3: 1W-2L

6 games - 4: 2W-2L

7 games - 2: 2W- 0L

This is 4th Conference Semi-Final Series played without home-ice advantage. The Club’s record in the previous 3 series:

0W-3L

In the Conference Semi-Final Series without home-ice advantage played, the number of games played and the Club’s record are:

4 - 0

5 – 2: 0W-2L

6 – 1: 0W-1L

7 - 0.

Game One, Conference Era

This is the 13th Game One in a Conference Semi-Final Series. The Club’s record in the previous 12 games:

7W-5L.

This is the 4th Game One in a Conference Semi-Final Series without home-ice advantage. The Club’s record in the previous 3 games:

1W-2L.

All-Time Series v. San Jose

This is the 23rd playoff game v. San Jose. The Club’s record in the previous 22 games:

12W-10L

This is the 5th playoff series v. San Jose. The Club’s record in the previous 4 series:

2W-2L.

This is the 5th Conference Semi-Final Series v. San Jose. The Club’s record in the previous 4 series:

2W-2L.

This is the 2nd Conference Semi-Final Series v. San Jose without home-ice advantage. The Club’s record in the previous series:

0W-1L.

Last Ten Games – All-Time Playoff Games v. San Jose

Overall: 5W-5L

Road: 4W-6L

On This Day

April 29

This is the 9th playoff game played on this date. The Club’s record in the previous 8 games:

5W-3L.

LGW.

Red Wings better than last season's team that lost to Sharks in second round

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The lineup for the Detroit Red Wings tonight in Game 1 against San Jose will be nearly identical to the one they dressed while losing to the Sharks in five games in the second round of the playoffs a year ago.

Their two most notable changes are the additions of forwards Jiri Hudler and Mike Modano. Neither had the impact they anticipated. Modano likely will be a healthy scratch. Hudler’s spot is not secure.

The Sharks made a few changes, most notably in goal, where mainstay Evgeni Nabokov was replaced by Antti Niemi, last year’s Stanley Cup winner with the Chicago Blackhawks. They also added some skill (forward Kyle Wellwood and defenseman Ian White) and some grit (forwards Jamal Mayers and Ben Eager).

But the core for San Jose remains the same.

So if there’s not much difference in the teams, why should this year’s series be any different?

It’s simple, coach Mike Babcock said. It’s because the Red Wings believe they are better and deeper and are playing harder than they did last season.

"Even though we didn’t like our team a lot at times this winter, I still think the individual growth of our players is significant," Babcock said. "I thought it showed in the last round (sweep of Phoenix) and it has to show in this round."

ansar-khan-column.jpg

This club is more refreshed, physically and mentally, than the group that had to mount a late-season surge to make the playoffs last year, following back-to-back appearances in the Stanley Cup finals. With eight days off, they are fresher than last year, when they had one day of rest after battling through seven games with the Coyotes.

As a result, this team is better equipped to beat San Jose this time around.

"It’s just having everyone around another year to understand our system, understand what it takes to win, going through adversity last year (with injuries)," Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi said. "We got a lot to prove and a lot of guys who really, really want to win here. We understand it’s still a long way away and San Jose is going to be a handful, but we’re more than ready."

The biggest difference is their third and fourth lines. Darren Helm has become an impact player with his speed and physicality, his ability to wear down defenses and create scoring chances. Young Justin Abdelkader has improved with experience, as have veterans Drew Miller and Patrick Eaves.

That prompted Babcock to say this team forechecks as hard as it did during its 2008 Cup championship run with Dallas Drake.

Detroit’s fourth line plays 10-12 minutes a game. San Jose’s plays about 5 minutes a game.

"We got good depth, especially with what all the lines showed in the first round," forward Johan Franzen said. "All lines contributed to scoring goals, forechecking hard."

That is why the Red Wings are a deeper team than last year, with basically the same personnel.

It also is a hungrier team that realizes its window of opportunity could be closing as parity in the league increases.

Bertuzzi, sensing his best opportunity to win his first Cup, is revitalized, playing more physical. Danny Cleary, bogged down by injuries last season, had a career year with 26 goals.

Henrik Zetterberg should be fresh after sitting out the first round with a sprained knee. Pavel Datsyuk has more jump after missing one-third of the season with injuries.

Nicklas Lidstrom, who turned 41 on Thursday, is well-rested after having his minutes trimmed during the season and even more so in the first round.

Second-year goaltender Jimmy Howard has been through it before, which has made him stronger mentally.

"I’m going to go out there and play the same way I played in the Phoenix series," Howard said. "I’m not trying to be spectacular, but make the saves when called upon and then come up with one or two that you shouldn’t."

They will need all hands on deck, as Babcock often says, because the Sharks have a bevy of talented forwards in Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Devin Setoguchi, Ryane Clowe and Logan Couture.

Last year, it was an enormous task just keeping their playoff streak intact (it’s 20 seasons now), and a huge relief getting past Phoenix. This year, they expect much more.

"We’re a better team than we were last year," Cleary said. "We believe we got a real good chance."