Photo
- - - - -

WCSF Game 1 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Sharks 2 (OT)

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#21 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:40 AM

Hey, San Jose! Your city is dumb and on the wrong coast which screws up all of my schedules, and I don't like that or any of you! Our town is way better.

Don't believe me? Fine!

We'll settle this as men once did, a return to the old ways:

Hockey.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#22 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:53 AM

And so it begins...

2 teams becoming bitter rivals more and more every year. The Return of The Hank is upon us. The Return to the Tank for Hank. The Return of Hank the Tank ;) (shameless plug). Many subplots. Former assistant coach faces the teacher yet again. Can we contain Pavelski? Can anyone contain Pavel? (:lol:) and why the hell is the team named the Sharks anyway??? All this answered and more in this, the 2nd round of the 2011 playoffs. It is still over 14 hours away and I am all but ready to get it under way. I must not predict but we need 110% effort from beginning to end. No let up and show them that last year was indeed just a freak occurrence of the Hockey Gods attempting to prove a point if just for one season. GET IT DONE!

Edited by HankthaTank, 29 April 2011 - 06:54 AM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#23 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

Conference Semi-Final Series, since 1993-94
Games
This is 66th Conference Semi-Final Series game played. The Club’s record in the previous 65 games:

38W-27L

Series
This is 13th Conference Semi-Final Series played. The Club’s record in the previous 12 series:

8W-4L

In the Conference Semi-Final Series, the number of games played and the Club’s record are:

4 games - 3: 3W-0L
5 games - 3: 1W-2L
6 games - 4: 2W-2L
7 games - 2: 2W- 0L

This is 4th Conference Semi-Final Series played without home-ice advantage. The Club’s record in the previous 3 series:

0W-3L

In the Conference Semi-Final Series without home-ice advantage played, the number of games played and the Club’s record are:

4 - 0
5 – 2: 0W-2L
6 – 1: 0W-1L
7 - 0.

Game One, Conference Era

This is the 13th Game One in a Conference Semi-Final Series. The Club’s record in the previous 12 games:

7W-5L.

This is the 4th Game One in a Conference Semi-Final Series without home-ice advantage. The Club’s record in the previous 3 games:

1W-2L.

All-Time Series v. San Jose
This is the 23rd playoff game v. San Jose. The Club’s record in the previous 22 games:

12W-10L

This is the 5th playoff series v. San Jose. The Club’s record in the previous 4 series:

2W-2L.

This is the 5th Conference Semi-Final Series v. San Jose. The Club’s record in the previous 4 series:

2W-2L.

This is the 2nd Conference Semi-Final Series v. San Jose without home-ice advantage. The Club’s record in the previous series:

0W-1L.

Last Ten Games – All-Time Playoff Games v. San Jose
Overall: 5W-5L
Road: 4W-6L

On This Day
April 29

This is the 9th playoff game played on this date. The Club’s record in the previous 8 games:

5W-3L.

LGW.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#24 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

sharks 5, wings 2

3 shark PP goals.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#25 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Red Wings better than last season's team that lost to Sharks in second round

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The lineup for the Detroit Red Wings tonight in Game 1 against San Jose will be nearly identical to the one they dressed while losing to the Sharks in five games in the second round of the playoffs a year ago.

Their two most notable changes are the additions of forwards Jiri Hudler and Mike Modano. Neither had the impact they anticipated. Modano likely will be a healthy scratch. Hudler’s spot is not secure.

The Sharks made a few changes, most notably in goal, where mainstay Evgeni Nabokov was replaced by Antti Niemi, last year’s Stanley Cup winner with the Chicago Blackhawks. They also added some skill (forward Kyle Wellwood and defenseman Ian White) and some grit (forwards Jamal Mayers and Ben Eager).
But the core for San Jose remains the same.

So if there’s not much difference in the teams, why should this year’s series be any different?

It’s simple, coach Mike Babcock said. It’s because the Red Wings believe they are better and deeper and are playing harder than they did last season.

"Even though we didn’t like our team a lot at times this winter, I still think the individual growth of our players is significant," Babcock said. "I thought it showed in the last round (sweep of Phoenix) and it has to show in this round."

ansar-khan-column.jpg
This club is more refreshed, physically and mentally, than the group that had to mount a late-season surge to make the playoffs last year, following back-to-back appearances in the Stanley Cup finals. With eight days off, they are fresher than last year, when they had one day of rest after battling through seven games with the Coyotes.

As a result, this team is better equipped to beat San Jose this time around.

"It’s just having everyone around another year to understand our system, understand what it takes to win, going through adversity last year (with injuries)," Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi said. "We got a lot to prove and a lot of guys who really, really want to win here. We understand it’s still a long way away and San Jose is going to be a handful, but we’re more than ready."

The biggest difference is their third and fourth lines. Darren Helm has become an impact player with his speed and physicality, his ability to wear down defenses and create scoring chances. Young Justin Abdelkader has improved with experience, as have veterans Drew Miller and Patrick Eaves.

That prompted Babcock to say this team forechecks as hard as it did during its 2008 Cup championship run with Dallas Drake.

Detroit’s fourth line plays 10-12 minutes a game. San Jose’s plays about 5 minutes a game.

"We got good depth, especially with what all the lines showed in the first round," forward Johan Franzen said. "All lines contributed to scoring goals, forechecking hard."

That is why the Red Wings are a deeper team than last year, with basically the same personnel.
It also is a hungrier team that realizes its window of opportunity could be closing as parity in the league increases.

Bertuzzi, sensing his best opportunity to win his first Cup, is revitalized, playing more physical. Danny Cleary, bogged down by injuries last season, had a career year with 26 goals.

Henrik Zetterberg should be fresh after sitting out the first round with a sprained knee. Pavel Datsyuk has more jump after missing one-third of the season with injuries.

Nicklas Lidstrom, who turned 41 on Thursday, is well-rested after having his minutes trimmed during the season and even more so in the first round.

Second-year goaltender Jimmy Howard has been through it before, which has made him stronger mentally.

"I’m going to go out there and play the same way I played in the Phoenix series," Howard said. "I’m not trying to be spectacular, but make the saves when called upon and then come up with one or two that you shouldn’t."

They will need all hands on deck, as Babcock often says, because the Sharks have a bevy of talented forwards in Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Devin Setoguchi, Ryane Clowe and Logan Couture.

Last year, it was an enormous task just keeping their playoff streak intact (it’s 20 seasons now), and a huge relief getting past Phoenix. This year, they expect much more.

"We’re a better team than we were last year," Cleary said. "We believe we got a real good chance."

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#26 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

What is the over/under on octopus showing up?
This year the sharks will see just what the wings are all about. A more healthy team and well rested. I beleive they are even hungrier than lest year. I can see it in their play.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#27 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

"We’re a better team than we were last year," Cleary said. "We believe we got a real good chance."

Just a huge oversight on most to not see this. LAST YEAR is just that. Here and now, we are much more focused and have had that business-like mentality.

#28 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

Great job on the GDT HT!

So glad we're back to Wings hockey. Looking forward to a good game and series.

Let's Go Wings!!

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#29 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:41 AM

God this is going too be a loooong daaay
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#30 locoforrojo

locoforrojo

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

Just read a great blog post and wanted to share...
http://www.kuklaskor...s_heading_to_8/

All Aboard…Stress Train’s Heading To 8

by IwoCPO on 04/29/11 at 05:47 AM ET
Comments (15)

Know what I’m not buying? All the claims that the Wings are using last year’s injury and penalty-riddled loss to San Jose as some form of motivation to win this year. The last time Detroit relied on that type of venom to win a series was the WCF in 1997. And, while we’re at it, of all the Cups since then, all the victories and all the Bettman face washes the Wings have applied…still nothing rivals the chills that accompanied beating Denver that year.

But the Sharks aren’t the Dive. The Wings will win this series (and it’s not going to require 7 games), but they’ll win because of talent, goaltending, a deeper blue line and a fourth line that loves to hunt. Oh, and hunt they will.

Contrived motivation is good for teams who haven’t won squat and need psychology, redolence and pharmacists. Teams who have won Cups, multiple Cups, understand the only motivation required is an obsession to win it again.

Well hello. Hi. You’re still here and that’s fun. Want to know who can suck it?

Ted Kulfan: On paper, this looks like a real exciting series, two teams with loads of skilled forwards and mobile defensemen. Goaltending, as usual, will be key. If Jimmy Howard plays as good as he did against Phoenix, Detroit has a chance. I could see this series end up being another Vancouver-Chicago series, going seven games. Sharks in 7

“On paper”, eh Ted? You’re not allowed to pick against the Wings, Richard. You know the Wings, therefore picking against them makes you look like a dumb-dumb.

Chris McCosky: The heart says the rested and healthy Red Wings prevail. The head says the Sharks’ big forwards will wear the Red Wings down. Sharks in 7

Because the Sharks’ “big forwards” are so imposing, eh Chris? Well, here’s some sour news for you Jack…the Wings forwards are going to be doing a lot more damage. They may not be “big”, but they’re fast, and they’re ferocious *****. You think Darren Helm made an impact against the Jets? Just wait. Sharks in 7 because your head says so, eh? Suck it. I’m banning you.

The eclectic Greg Krupa, our boy John Niyo and Wojo all picked the Wings in 6. You can stay.

And speaking of Wojo, I dug this little bingo-bango with Franzen.

I am sure the Sharks are supremely talented, packed with as many scoring forwards — Ryan Clowe, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture — as any team in the league.

“More forwards than us?” Franzen said pointedly, raising an eyebrow.

Wojo called it “edgy.” I dig that. I call it Swagger. See, here’s the thing. When the Wings are healthy (they are), rested (they are), and motivated to win a Cup because they haven’t had one in more than two years? When all those criteria are met? They know they’re the team to beat. They know it to a man, to a coach, to a fan. There is no doubt in that room that they can, and will, beat San Jose, and then Bobbi, and then whichever patsy Gary throws at us from the East. They know it because they’ve lived it and because they feel entitled to it.

Last year means nothing. Forget the revenge theories and the psycho bulls***. Every Wing knows why they lost last year: the sprint to get in, the injuries, the 7 gamer against Phoenix. And, of course, overcoming a nightly 5-3. They were dead tired and lost four games by one goal. You think that generated some sort of vengeance plot? Nope. All it did was re-affirm what they already know: with health, rest and officiating that has to be better because there’s no way in Gary’s hell that it could get any worse…they’re the better team.

Oh, but those big forwards. Well…Wojo almost got walloped by a Mule when he asked that question.

Heatley, Thornton, Marleau
Setoguchi, Pavelski, Clowe

Top two lines and two lines that are as potent as any in hockey. Let’s not faux around with that. They are dangerous and they frighten the s*** out of me. When you look at just those two units and compare them to the Wings, they may even tilt westward. By only a hair, though. But here’s the thing. Pavel Datsyuk is better, and is playing better, than any one of them. Any line he plays with immediately becomes the best line on the ice, at both ends. And that makes the top two lines even, at least.

And then comes the real strength, and the reason why my Uncle keeps saying he likes this team more than last year’s. Is San Jose even close when it comes to comparing the 3rd and 4th lines? Logan Couture is a great young player. 32 goals. The Wings will shut him down. Filppula, Abelkader, Helm, Draper. Unless he scores on the power play, he’ll be silent on the third line. Ben Eager? Torrey Mitchell. Those are nice third line players and players who would see zero ice time on a healthy Wing squad.

Hudler, Homer, Helm, Eaves, Modano, Filppula, Miller. Switch them up, change them around. 3rd, 4th, whatever. Double shift them. Give Helm Dan Boyle’s scent and watch him tree that *****. Nobody left in this tournament has that kind of depth. And “nobody” definitely includes San Jose. Helmer’s going hunting. Damn I love watching that kid play hockey.

Oh Jimmah. Oh, how you’re being written off as a Wing weakness. That’s fine. But his stats are better. His demeanor’s been calmer and he sure has hell hasn’t been yanked from any games. You want Niemi? Take him. He never impressed us when he played for the rent-a-cup Hawks and he sure as hell doesn’t strike fear into anyone now. And young man? You think you saw rounds coming in against LA? Those were fruit flies. Get ready for missiles from a healthy, rested Wing team that’s going to put up at least 40 shots per game. 40 quality shots. With a big Swedish ass in your face, and a serial killer whispering in your ear.

You want to fear San Jose because of Joe Thornton and Heatley, Marleau and Clowe? Go ahead. But they’d better be perfect. Because that’s what they’ll need. They’d better be penalty free and scoring on every opportunity. Because that’s what it’s going to take to beat Detroit, especially when the Shark defense is mediocre at best. Dan Boyle? Good player. We wanted him. Well, keep your head up boy. 43’s getting bigger in your rearview.

You want 7 games? Everybody seems to think that’s where this one’s headed. Not me. Nope. 6 is the safe bet, closing it out in Hockeytown. But I’m throwing this one down: Wings in 5.

12 to 12 *******. But 4 to 8’s what matters now.

See you for the Live Blog.
"Una revolucion de transa, es una revolucion muerta."
- Michael Scott!?

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

Very nice post there.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

And then comes the real strength, and the reason why my Uncle keeps saying he likes this team more than last year’s. Is San Jose even close when it comes to comparing the 3rd and 4th lines? Logan Couture is a great young player. 32 goals. The Wings will shut him down. Filppula, Abelkader, Helm, Draper. Unless he scores on the power play, he’ll be silent on the third line. Ben Eager? Torrey Mitchell. Those are nice third line players and players who would see zero ice time on a healthy Wing squad.

This times 3 million...

#33 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

Speed kills and it never slumps. The Wings will win this series.

Edited by Jersey Wing, 29 April 2011 - 09:33 AM.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#34 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

couture doesn't even play on the 3rd line. lol.

keep the A2Y trash where it belongs.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#35 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

lets see a complete game all around. I expect us to put solid pressure on their d all night and i can't see us not coming out on top. 3-1 wings. LGW!!!!

Edited by dirtydangles, 29 April 2011 - 09:49 AM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#36 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

Finally the Wings play, seems like for ever... Really like our lines. LETS GO RED WINGS :clap: :clap:
IPB Image

#37 Hatchet Barry

Hatchet Barry

Long Live The Winged Wheel

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

Lets Go Wings. Lets kill these chum loving, cupless chumps.

Never undersestimate the predictability of stupidity

#38 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

Would love to see us take at least one of these games @ the Shark tank.

We need to shake the rust off, stay out of the box, and play like we did in the first round.

Let's keep an eye on Pavelski, who, besides the Refs, really railed us last year.

:siren: LGW! :siren:
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#39 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

Rust is a smoke screen for "rest". It's what the Sharks' fans want to believe will happen. Come out the gates firing.

#40 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

OH YEAHH FINALLY

LETS GET OUR REVENGE!

GO WINGS!