• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#61 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

What exactly does Modano bring to the table?

It's not so much what "he" brings but what he brings out in teammates. Seeing him in the lineup should get these guys playing for "him". He came here instead of other spots to win it all... Motivation is key here.

#62 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

about the same as switching goalies after your #1 guy has given up 4 goals on 10 shots. Just to try to change the atmosphere, some momentum, a different look. Light a fire under whoever has to sit in Mike's place and maybe turn their play around. Motivate others to pick it up or they could be sitting as well. Modano is neither better or worse than the fore-mentioned players, but his style of play is vastly different and it would cause San Jose to change up a little bit, and that could throw the equilibrium off enough for a few lucky bounces to go our way, instead of theirs...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#63 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

It's not so much what "he" brings but what he brings out in teammates. Seeing him in the lineup should get these guys playing for "him". He came here instead of other spots to win it all... Motivation is key here.

I don't think it is motivation. I think it's desperation.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#64 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

I don't think it is motivation. I think it's desperation.

Call it whatever you want but mike should be in not sitting.

#65 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

Posted Image

This is pretty much it.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#66 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

Posted Image

This is pretty much it.

:lol:

#NOMOREKINDL

#67 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image

This is pretty much it.

Yup. Pretty boy softy. He should at least bring these-I mean, that-I mean her along with him.

Posted Image

Edited by Mabuhay Red Wings, 01 May 2011 - 08:35 PM.

#68 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

If we're banking on ol' washed up Mike to change the momentum of this series, we're even more stuffed than I thought. :lol:

^ Mmmm Willa Ford, I saw this one particular movie she was in, quite 'revealing'... :siren:

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 01 May 2011 - 08:34 PM.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#69 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

If we're banking on ol' washed up Mike to change the momentum of this series, we're even more stuffed than I thought. :lol:

^ Mmmm Willa Ford, I saw this one particular movie she was in, quite 'revealing'... :siren:

Hmm... Which movie was that? Cause, I mean, my, uh, roommate wants to know...

#70 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

This brings up a point that I've wondered ever since the Modano signing. Look, I don't mean to disparage anything that Modano has done; he's had a great career, and is one of the greats overall. I don't deny that. What I don't understand is what Detroit owes to him. OK, he's from Michigan. I get that. But what has he done for the Wings, really? One season, where he produced almost nothing, and wasn't even really with the team half of it? Why should these guys play "for him", and why should the fans get behind him? I'm sorry, but half the time he did play this season he floated around on cruise-control. Miller, Eaves, Abdelkader and Hudler have all done far more for the Wings than Modano ever has.

All that being said, he does have the experience; though the Wings aren't exactly lacking in playoff experience. And at this point, I don't think a change could hurt. I'm just bothered by the implication that seems to come up that Modano is owed something a priori by the Wings or Wings fans.

#71 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Why would they want to sacrifice themselves for a player who is now not much more than a pretty boy floater?

#72 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

Why would they want to sacrifice themselves for a player who is now not much more than a pretty boy floater?

Exactly. This isn't Dallas Drake we're talking about. Modano won't have that sort of psychological motivation effect. The best we can hope for is pairing him up with Datsyuk again and seeing some magic at home, while Zetterberg takes crazy backhands on the second line for Franzen to swat in.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#73 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

Modano brings speed to the lineup, he is noticeably fast out there. He also has a good shot that he often takes from the perimeter. To me, the Wings have lacked speed and puck control.

I think it is time that he gets a chance to make an impact. Babcock needs to tell him this is his time. Give him a few shifts with Datsyuk and see what happens. At the very least, it should give the Wings more momentum for the 2nd line to come out.

#74 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

I also noticed Bert a lot tonight, which is why I think he should get time on the second line.

Really, because the only time I noticed him was when he got the penalty that cost us the lead late in the game.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#75 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

He brings more to the table than Eaves.

Stopped reading there. Get a friggen clue....
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#76 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

I'd like to see Modano on a line with Z or Datsyuk. Mo isn't physical and won't win battles along the boards, but he can still skate pretty fast and still has a good shot. We need offense right now and he could spark some.

#77 azshark

azshark

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Mike Modano is a Sharks killer.

He has produced big time numbers over the years competing against SJ in the Pacific Division.

At HP Pavilion, Modano has averaged almost a point per game. In 38 career games, Modano has been good for 36 points going into this season.

#78 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:24 PM

Mike Modano is a Sharks killer.

He has produced big time numbers over the years competing against SJ in the Pacific Division.

At HP Pavilion, Modano has averaged almost a point per game. In 38 career games, Modano has been good for 36 points going into this season.

Modano was also a 96 overall in my NHL 2000 video game.

Problem is, this isn't the year 2000, and Modano hasn't killed anything this season. If they dress him, it won't be because he "was" some great Sharks killer, but because we need to shake things up.

No one is expecting him to score a point per game right now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#79 sphere10

sphere10

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:18 AM

Modano was also a 96 overall in my NHL 2000 video game.

Problem is, this isn't the year 2000, and Modano hasn't killed anything this season. If they dress him, it won't be because he "was" some great Sharks killer, but because we need to shake things up.

No one is expecting him to score a point per game right now.

Funny thing is, as Red Wings fans and not Stars fans, you really don't know how big a Sharks killer Modano truly is. Whether it be 2000, 2011, or 2021 - if he plays on a third line and gets power play time he is going to knock one in - he's just that confident against us. I unfortunately guarantee it.

#80 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

Posted Image Whoa! We better lock him up then!!

I am pretty sure he plays next game. What he brings differently to the table, I do not quite know. A shakeup is necessary though.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.