• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 2 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Sharks 2

Rate this topic

[/b]

What level are you talking about? Does anyone else but me see the huge amount of struggle the Wings are going through against the Sharks. We CAN NOT MATCH UP AGAINST THE SHARKS. This series is a rinse and repeat of last year.

Yes right now it looks like it's gonna be a repeat of last year and I also see the struggle, but last year we had to fight into the playoffs and went through the 7 game series with coyotes. This year, we are well-rested, and this is what playoffs is all about...turning on that extra gear and putting in 200% effort. I believe the wings still have some gas left in the tank, so don't lose all hope in the wings just yet.

Yes right now it looks like it's gonna be a repeat of last year and I also see the struggle, but last year we had to fight into the playoffs and went through the 7 game series with coyotes. This year, we are well-rested, and this is what playoffs is all about...turning on that extra gear and putting in 200% effort. I believe the wings still have some gas left in the tank, so don't lose all hope in the wings just yet.

I won't give up hope, but losing to the Sharks, as much as it sucks for the team, the fans etc.. it would make sense. It would not come off as a choke job or anything. The only thing is it would be two straight years of failure against the same team. But you are right, last year we were not rested. So, what is the excuse this year?

someone earlier reminded us about Vancouver in 2002 when the Wings were down 0-2. Thats true, and it could happen again, but there are a few things that are different:

1. Steve Yzerman

2. Brenden Shanahan

3. Sergei Fedorov

4. Brett Hull

5. Luc Robitaille

6. Dominic Hasek

7. Igor Larinov

8. a 31 year old Nick Lidstrom

You forgot about Chelios.

And that Bowman guy.

And this guy.

clootsbball_feature.jpg

I won't give up hope, but losing to the Sharks, as much as it sucks for the team, the fans etc.. it would make sense. It would not come off as a choke job or anything. The only thing is it would be two straight years of failure against the same team. But you are right, last year we were not rested. So, what is the excuse this year?

as I said in my earlier post, there is no excuse this year. Yes, it sucks to lose, but let's face it. If we do lose this series, it just signifies that this team need changes (either from our prospects or FA signing to infuse the team with youth and energy). I am sure Kenny Holland knows what to do.

Pavelski is a beast. He is making the team look awful. He truly is a WING killer.

Just as Dats is the one that scares me (and all Sharks) the most. He is, hands down, the most unbelievably skilled player in the entire NHL. Pavelski does have one very scary stat that I didn't know until today, though: Sharks are 11-0 in games in which Pavelski had a goal.

as I said in my earlier post, there is no excuse this year. Yes, it sucks to lose, but let's face it. If we do lose this series, it just signifies that this team need changes (either from our prospects or FA signing to infuse the team with youth and energy). I am sure Kenny Holland knows what to do.

I would be completely open to a few new faces on the Wings. Kenny will have some tough decisions to make this summer.

San Jose able to squeak out two 2-1 wins while at home with all the matchups? I'll take it.

Wings will take both of their home games and then it just becomes a best of 3.

I appreciate the optimism you have for your team but I hardly believe you would "take" your team being down 0-2 in this series, no matter how close the scores. you can appreciate the level of play you've seen so far, and at times for Detroit it has been very good (especially Howard's) but I don't think this is what any Detroit fan was hoping for.

We will lose this series 4-1, just like last year. Except this year we will win game 3 and lose 4. I expect that some change is made this off season. I have never seen the Wings so outmatched against any team. The Sharks are a terrible match up for the Wings.

I agree, except I believe they will lose game 3, and possibly win game 4, but that will be about it. I've been hoping these last few years that Draper, Holmstrom, and Lidstrom would be able to be the first to play on 5 Red Wing Stanley Cup winning teams. But it's just not going to happen. Too many teams have too many better players - better skills, greater desire, more meanness - (how many opponents have had players go on the DL after playing the Wings? Yet Detroit always seems to have players getting slammed around, and we're always playing the old "We'll be fine as soon as _________ returns from the DL game." I'm trying not to be too upset by this, because I just don't think this group has it in them any more.

I agree, except I believe they will lose game 3, and possibly win game 4, but that will be about it. I've been hoping these last few years that Draper, Holmstrom, and Lidstrom would be able to be the first to play on 5 Red Wing Stanley Cup winning teams. But it's just not going to happen. Too many teams have too many better players - better skills, greater desire, more meanness - (how many opponents have had players go on the DL after playing the Wings? Yet Detroit always seems to have players getting slammed around, and we're always playing the old "We'll be fine as soon as _________ returns from the DL game." I'm trying not to be too upset by this, because I just don't think this group has it in them any more.

Yeah I just want Lidstrom to go out on top. He is a class act, and that would be the perfect end to his career.

Wings got outplayed very badly. This game wasn't even close if it was not for Howard and Datsyuk on that goal clear. It is funny that with 10 minutes left to play the Wings can look desperate for a goal but during the majority of the game it looks like they don't give a f***.

I honestly cannot wait until we get rid of Bert, Flip, Hudler, and Homer. These guys carry the "f*** it" bug and the only way to cure it is to remove them from the team.

I see how you can think that they may lose this series in five games or whatever, but I completely disagree with you about all of these "other teams" being superior. Honestly, outside of San Jose and Vancouver, I don't see another team in the playoffs that would beat the Wings in a seven game series. Nashville would be close, but I think the Wings would prevail in the end. All of the teams in the east are frauds to me. Whoever comes out of the west will beat whoever comes out of the east in five games.

Tampa Bay? Seriously?

I would be completely open to a few new faces on the Wings. Kenny will have some tough decisions to make this summer.

Tough decisions? This team will look the same next year since the dead weight have NTCs. The only difference is that we might not have Mo, Draper, Ozzie, and Salie. Other than that you can be sure that E signs for cheap, Eaves & Miller might get signed depending on the AHL guys moving up, and if Holland has the balls to trade one of Hudler, Flip or Mule... and that won't happen. Also if Lidstrom returns or not.

Tough decisions? This team will look the same next year since the dead weight have NTCs. The only difference is that we might not have Mo, Draper, Ozzie, and Salie. Other than that you can be sure that E signs for cheap, Eaves & Miller might get signed depending on the AHL guys moving up, and if Holland has the balls to trade one of Hudler, Flip or Mule... and that won't happen. Also if Lidstrom returns or not.

Tough decisions because the expectations are to win a cup. I would be open to trades, and trying to get a big Free Agent signing. We need some new ******* blood on this team. Not some of this Modano bulls***.

I see how you can think that they may lose this series in five games or whatever, but I completely disagree with you about all of these "other teams" being superior. Honestly, outside of San Jose and Vancouver, I don't see another team in the playoffs that would beat the Wings in a seven game series. Nashville would be close, but I think the Wings would prevail in the end. All of the teams in the east are frauds to me. Whoever comes out of the west will beat whoever comes out of the east in five games.

Tampa Bay? Seriously?

I see your point, and I somewhat agree, but we can't go into the playoffs each year hoping to avoid San Jose. They have our number, and this is why I knew we were in trouble as soon as Vanoucver won Game 7. This Wings team can't be considered an elite won if we're hoping to avoic certain teams.

I agree with Sgt. Angry, I don't think this team has it in them any more. Lacking speed, size, physicality and sadly, SKILL. We need a slight injection of youth next season, Mursak one, hopefully Emmerton and Tatar get a chance too.

We rested for 9 days? rofl

This team is over matched, plain and simple.

I cannot overstate how much I disagree with this. We are being completely and embarrassingly outplayed, but in no way are we overmatched. The Wings just need to play the way only they know how.

I, for one, hope Howard walked into that locker room and smacked each and every one of his team mates upside the head.

[/b]

What level are you talking about? Does anyone else but me see the huge amount of struggle the Wings are going through against the Sharks. We CAN NOT MATCH UP AGAINST THE SHARKS. This series is a rinse and repeat of last year.

I would just like to point out that this is a Best of 7 series for a reason. Two games, no matter how dominant, do not determine the outcome of a series.

In 2007 the Sharks "outmatched" Detroit and Detroit was the team that advanced. Yes, San Jose has been the better team but all it takes is two convincing wins to level the playing field not just on paper, but in the swagger of each respective team. Two wins with consistent play will destroy the illusion that San Jose is some unbeatable monster. Detroit has beaten San Jose before and it can happen again. They just have to find the magic key, whether it's splitting up Datsyuk and Zetterberg, firing nonstop at the net, whatever it is. All I know is Detroit half-assed this game and only lost 2-1. They dominated 40% of Game 1 and lost 2-1 in overtime due to s***ty reffing.

If a half-assed Detroit team is forcing San Jose to eke out wins, no matter how dominant their play, once the Wings find a rhythm San Jose will be the team in trouble.

And until Game 3, we won't know what that magic key is or if the team can elevate like that. But for all the frustration this series is not over. And I'm not being one of those overly optimistic people who can't see the writing on the wall. San Jose has been the better team, but 2-0 series lead evaporate all the time.

EDIT: ANd all the old comments are just stupid. I'm sorry, but our core is in their prime. Only sports fans would look at something Average age 31 vs a team with an average age of 29 (pulling numbers out of thin air, but you get the point) and think it gives either team an edge. The fact is this team didn't have any luck, puck was bouncing over sticks and they were sloppy passing. They lacked intensity because they were getting frustrated. Maybe San Jose is getting into their head. All have nothing to do with age. What I do hope is that, win or lose, Flip is traded for a more reliable 2nd line center who can do more than make an impressive play once in a blue moon.

In fact, I'd argue the sloppy passing and cute plays were what cost Detroit most this game. If those passes were crisper and harder, not waffling through three San Jose players, and if someone would use their body and crash the net, things would begin to swing into Detroit's favor. Instead, what I'm seeing is one guy carry the puck in, take a long shot from just inside the blue line, and then race back when San Jose makes the long pass for a breakout. If they hold the puck and close in on the net, they will inevitably lose the puck but with clever support behind them a good play could result.

Edited by VM1138

Well, Wednesday is the series for the Wings. They have played like dogs*** and made Niemi look like a ******* Vezina winner and considering how bad the Kings made him look that is a joke.

Wings got outplayed very badly. This game wasn't even close if it was not for Howard and Datsyuk on that goal clear. It is funny that with 10 minutes left to play the Wings can look desperate for a goal but during the majority of the game it looks like they don't give a f***.

I honestly cannot wait until we get rid of Bert, Flip, Hudler, and Homer. These guys carry the "f*** it" bug and the only way to cure it is to remove them from the team.

Flip and Huds have been, alongside Dats and Helm, the team's top four forwards this playoff run. Where's Franzen in your list?

I appreciate the optimism you have for your team but I hardly believe you would "take" your team being down 0-2 in this series, no matter how close the scores. you can appreciate the level of play you've seen so far, and at times for Detroit it has been very good (especially Howard's) but I don't think this is what any Detroit fan was hoping for.

Obviously I was hoping for at least one win. We are 0-1-1 against the Sharks this series all while being outscored by two goals. The Sharks have been hitting the Wings with their best shot and are barely winning. Once the Wings, collectively, bring their A game the series will be won by the Wings. JLA crowd won't let the Wings bring anything other than their A game.

So yah, I'll take an 0-2 hole being outscored by two goals. It could have been 0-2 being outscored by 5+ and piling up injuries all while Howard sucking and the defense disappearing.

Flip and Huds have been, alongside Dats and Helm, the team's top four forwards this playoff run. Where's Franzen in your list?

Add him as well. The difference between Flip, Hudler, Mule and even Helm at this point compared to Datsyuk is that he is still playing like he wants to win while the others have vanished. Datsyuk is the only one besides Howard actually playing hard and looking like they give a crap. Last series top players/heroes are last series top players/heroes which does not mean crap in this new series.

Add him as well. The difference between Flip, Hudler, Mule and even Helm at this point compared to Datsyuk is that he is still playing like he wants to win while the others have vanished. Datsyuk is the only one besides Howard actually playing hard and looking like they give a crap. Last series top players/heroes are last series top players/heroes which does not mean crap in this new series.

So playing great in round 1 and playing average in round 2 is worse than playing average in round 1 and playing s*** in round 2?

Edited by Z and D for the C