Photo
- - - - -

WCSF Game 2 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Sharks 2

• Please log in to reply
1127 replies to this topic

#1001 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

Uh-huh. I've defended Hudler in the past, but frankly, I pretty much forgot he existed in these last two games.

I will say though, as much as I have hated him forever, he is by far NOT the only one playing crappy...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1002 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

I'm glad other people realize Flip has been doing nothing, I thought it was just me. But as frustrating as this series has been, and obviously San Jose has gotten into our heads (hopefully not the Wings' heads, though), the Wings hit a few posts and just barely missed on a few really good chances. Sooner or later those go in. We just have to hope they go in during Game 3. I feel like Detroit is due to blow out San Jose, but it's hard to be that optimistic seeing how nothing went Detroit's way.

I second the calls for Draper, we need faceoff wins, speed and grit. But calling for Modano for offense? I don't know, I don't view him as a hungry or hard working player. He played good in the Phoenix game he was called into, but do we risk him once we're down 0-2?

Even Franzen, who is clearly hobbled and playing sub par, had an awesome play at the net and had the game not been surrounding in anti-Wings karma probably would have gone in and we'd be singing his praises.

But Datsyuk and Zetterberg do need to be split up. Flip isn't cutting it as 2nd line center, and we know both of them can handle lines of their own. Even Zetterberg at 80% is better than most other players in the league and I would trust him centering his own line again.

I think we'll see that, because all along Babcock said he would play them together in San Jose and apart in Detroit so that they would San Jose would have to respond to both.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1003 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

I meant game 1 and Game 2, he took a high stick penalty in the first period and they scored on that PP. Wings never had a chance to get going and didn't seem to care at all.

Ooooh, ok. I had limited vision of the 1st period. Then I agree with the entirety of the post in that case.

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#1004 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Uh-huh. I've defended Hudler in the past, but frankly, I pretty much forgot he existed in these last two games.

He was our third best player in game 1 behind Datsyuk and of course Howard. Tonight he barely even played.

#1005 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

Well we'll see what the boys can do at home, as they say, "hold serve". SJ won their two games, now it's our turn.

I kept track of the power plays in the 3rd since we were the team behind, we had 2, SJ had 0. I'm going to do that more often, I'm convinced the refs are told to keep the game close and not call penalties against the team that's behind. It's to bad however, the way the games are officiated, it cost us Game 1, this series should be tied. Despite that, either way we'd still have to win both Games 3 + 4 at home.

Also I think for the next 10 years our goaltending is in great hands with Howard. Hopefully the offense can help him out this week.

Lastly, for now, I appreciate the refs not taking the bait on the Sharks falling all over the ice trying to draw penalties. That was another bad display by the Sharks, no wonder I've read on here they're the most hated team in the league by the players. How can grown men in the NHL get knocked down so easy?
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#1006 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

Well we'll see what the boys can do at home, as they say, "hold serve". SJ won their two games, now it's our turn.

I kept track of the power plays in the 3rd since we were the team behind, we had 2, SJ had 0. I'm going to do that more often, I'm convinced the refs are told to keep the game close and not call penalties against the team that's behind. It's to bad however, the way the games are officiated, it cost us Game 1, this series should be tied. Despite that, either way we'd still have to win both Games 3 + 4 at home.

Also I think for the next 10 years our goaltending is in great hands with Howard. Hopefully the offense can help him out this week.

Lastly, for now, I appreciate the refs not taking the bait on the Sharks falling all over the ice trying to draw penalties. That was another bad display by the Sharks, no wonder I've read on here they're the most hated team in the league by the players. How can grown men in the NHL get knocked down so easy?

I think the refs probably know what San Jose is up to now and the rest of the series will be called fair enough. The problem is Detroit not scoring on that 4 minute power play early in the game. Special teams needs work. But you know, Red Wings were rusty for the first two games and San Jose was riding high.

I feel bipolar, going from complete frustration to anger to feeling pretty good about the Wings chances in Game 3 and 4, haha.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1007 Berry

Berry

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

I agree with the latter half of that statement but not the start of it. He was one of the best players in the pheonix series

Flip is good only when nobody puts pressure on him. With phoenix he has that opportunity, simple.

#1008 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hudler and Flipper have been invisible. Someone mentioned shipping both Hudler and Filppula at this season's trade deadline, and bringing in a gritty forward like Dave Clarkson from NJ, and then just promoting Mursak. I can't say that sounds all too bad right about now. They both could of helped in these first two games, while those two were sleepwalking. I'd try to move them both in the off-season, along with Ericsson.

#1009 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

I'm sorry but if Franzen is hurt then sit his fat ass. I get so tired of Franzen, in my opinion he's overrated, scoring a bunch of goals in 1 game here and there means nothing. Put one of the black aces in his spot. Same with Hudler. Mursak's speed would benefit this team more than what Franzen and Hudler are doing. The Sharks deserve this game. Game 1 should have been ours. If we lose any of the home games its over. The one positive is they haven't run away with any games, its not like they blew us out. Stop getting cute and fire the goddamn puck.

#1010 Wingsfan89

Wingsfan89

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

"If" and I do mean "If" the Wings lose this series I hope they can take it to a grueling 7 games and make way for that sharks to be swept again in the WCF :D

#1011 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Eight days off???

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1012 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

I cant believe how dumb 95% of all fans are. Yeah they havent been playing great but if I recall correctly you need to win 4 games not just 2. Series is not over. Every game is different and the wings have an extra day to try to find a solution. Im sure babs is going to sitf****** top 4 players. Get real and stand behind yourf****** team

#1013 Zonly1

Zonly1

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Eight days off???

Instead of being rusty, they forgot how to play Red Wings hockey.

I cant believe how dumb 95% of all fans are. Yeah they havent been playing great but if I recall correctly you need to win 4 games not just 2. Series is not over. Every game is different and the wings have an extra day to try to find a solution. Im sure babs is going to sitf****** top 4 players. Get real and stand behind yourf****** team

Kinda lame for you to be calling out concerned Red Wings fans. It's not like the Wings played tough games and barely lost. San Jose has been controlling the series. And the Wings have done nothing. The only bright spot has been Howard who has given this team a chance.

#1014 BigWinston

BigWinston

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

To me San Jose deserved this one. I really felt it was like watching tennis when the wings dumped the puck in. Look left, and straight away look right as the Sharks picked it right up and skated out with it. Conversely, when the sharks were dumping it in they were able to effectively get control of the puck and cycle it. Play on the boards wasnt good enough at both ends by the wings. Don't know if it's the aggressive forechecking by SJ, bad bounces or something else, but it needs to get fixed - it's not normally a problem on the boards, but to me it was obvious in 1 & 2!

#1015 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm sorry but if Franzen is hurt then sit his fat ass. I get so tired of Franzen, in my opinion he's overrated, scoring a bunch of goals in 1 game here and there means nothing. Put one of the black aces in his spot. Same with Hudler. Mursak's speed would benefit this team more than what Franzen and Hudler are doing. The Sharks deserve this game. Game 1 should have been ours. If we lose any of the home games its over. The one positive is they haven't run away with any games, its not like they blew us out. Stop getting cute and fire the goddamn puck.

Franzen has been overrated since he signed his lifetime contract. I agree, just because you can score 11 points in one series and disappear for the others, doesn't make you a playoff beast. But, I guess since he has that "potential" (there's that word again that so aptly describes Hudler) he will be in the lineup no matter what...

...side note, both Tomas Fleischmann and Ville Leino are UFA's in the off season, would it be ironic if they were both Wings this summer?

Edited by LeftWinger, 01 May 2011 - 05:55 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1016 goaliedad6

goaliedad6

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'm convinced the refs are told to keep the game close and not call penalties against the team that's behind. It's to bad however, the way the games are officiated, it cost us Game 1, this series should be tied. .

Hilarious. Excellent use of parody. For a minute I actually thought you really believed it and felt this way.

#1017 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

Eight days off???

Remember in Round 1 when they called up half the Griffins team (and sent many back down a week later)? Why didn't they keep them on for the 8 days off and scrimmage the Wings asses off so there wouldn't be rust? Seems like the idea of rest was not balanced.

I can't believe how forgetful 5% of all fans are...its not like the Wings haven't been here before, and thats what everyone is concerned about. But hey man, since you know better than all of us.... :clap:

#1018 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

On the TSN coverage of the game, Ray Ferraro said it best: "If it weren't for Jimmy Howard..."

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1019 Zonly1

Zonly1

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

Remember in Round 1 when they called up half the Griffins team (and sent many back down a week later)? Why didn't they keep them on for the 8 days off and scrimmage the Wings asses off so there wouldn't be rust? Seems like the idea of rest was not balanced.

I can't believe how forgetful 5% of all fans are...its not like the Wings haven't been here before, and thats what everyone is concerned about. But hey man, since you know better than all of us.... :clap:

+1. Is this how we are supposed to be acting. "Hey, we're down 0-2 after abysmal performances, but hey, we're still in it and can easily turn this ship around by playing with fear"

#1020 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

On the TSN coverage of the game, Ray Ferraro said it best: "If it weren't for Jimmy Howard..."

Posted Image

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard