• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Pat

Pat

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

An Ex-Detroit coach is simply out coaching Detroit hands down. You cannot tell me this isn't the case. Babcock REFUSED to change his lineup after they were DEAD in game 1. Now we are in an 0-2 hole and on the brink of elimination. Refusing to change the lineup, not changing the lines during the game, and yet Babcock can be seen laughing on the Detroit bench. Is it just me or is it his time to go?

#2 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

I'll take the one with the Stanley Cup and Olympic gold please.

#3 Blueliner

Blueliner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

An Ex-Detroit coach is simply out coaching Detroit hands down. You cannot tell me this isn't the case. Babcock REFUSED to change his lineup after they were DEAD in game 1. Now we are in an 0-2 hole and on the brink of elimination. Refusing to change the lineup, not changing the lines during the game, and yet Babcock can be seen laughing on the Detroit bench. Is it just me or is it his time to go?

Are you serious? Wow.

#4 Pat

Pat

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

I'll take the one with the Stanley Cup and Olympic gold please.

Don't forget that Todd Mclellan also won the cup with us(he was part of it)

#5 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

It's obvious now that Mclellan was the reason we won the Cup. As for the Gold Medal, that was Crosby's doing.

Bring back Hitl.......I mean Dave Lewis.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 01 May 2011 - 05:15 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#6 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

McLellan did have a big impact on our puck control game. At first I though it was all Babcock, but when McLellan left it showed. I'm not saying he's the better coach, but I think he is better tactically while Babcock is better in mental coaching.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#7 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Last time I checked it takes 4 wins, not 3, plenty of hockey left to play

Posted Image

#8 Pat

Pat

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

When someone knows how you prepare for games and has his team prepared for it, then you HAVE to make changes. Until the Redwings make changes, they are not even in this series at all.

I can't wait for Babby to get up there and say we got outworked and his normal bulls***, how about he takes the blame for not coaching a team?

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

Swapping the lines around, or changing a couple of 4th liners isn't going to solve our problems. The Sharks are bigger, faster, just as skilled and (possibly) hungrier. The only people keeping us in this series are Datsyuk and Howard, and thats not a knock on Babcock.

What changes do you want? Our D sucks. Who are you going to swap Rafalski, Ericsson and Salei for that is better? How are you going to make Lidstrom a thirty-something again?

Edited by Nev, 01 May 2011 - 05:22 PM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 Pat

Pat

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

If we lose the next game we are not going to win this series. That's what I meant by saying we are on the brink of elimination.

#11 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

yep

just this year already in the first round Boston came back from down 2-0 to win(and those first two games were home games for Boston),Tampa Bay came back from down 3-1 to win,and Chicago was 1 goal away from winning their series after being down 3-0

#12 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

If we lose the next game we are not going to win this series. That's what I meant by saying we are on the brink of elimination.

lol, it's happened plenty of times before... teams go down 0-2 all the time. relax and let the coaches duke it out. If we win next game, suddenly we're only down by 1 right?

#13 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

If we lose the next game, we are on the verge of complete suckitude. If we lose the game after that, THEN we are not going to win the series.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#14 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Babcock is the better coach. Olympic gold and a Stanley Cup, with 2 finals appearances as well. But head to head? McLellans 6-1 record against Babs in the postseason is hard to argue.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 01 May 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#15 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

I don't see how that question can even be answered. They are both absolutely amazing coaches in my estimation.

The only way to know which one is better would be to have one coach a team for a year, then GO BACK IN TIME and place the other coach at the helm of the exact same team. And even then, it is only going to tell you who was better for that year, and for that team. Otherwise, it's all speculative nonsense, and truly apples to oranges.

Even a win history does not guarantee that one coach was better than the other. Great coaches can be saddled with s***ty players and teams, just as s***ty coaches can be gifted with great players and teams. It happens. Hey, give me nothing but full houses against Doyle's consistent trips, and watch just how "great" I am against him as a coach of the hands I was dealt.

But then again, I don't think the Wings' performance in this series relative to the last one was the fault of the players OR the coach anyway, and I don't think line changes could have done anything to address what I thought was the real problem.

#16 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:07 PM

Brink of elimination eh

#17 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

I don't see how that question can even be answered. They are both absolutely amazing coaches in my estimation.

The only way to know which one is better would be to have one coach a team for a year, then GO BACK IN TIME and place the other coach at the helm of the exact same team. And even then, it is only going to tell you who was better for that year, and for that team. Otherwise, it's all speculative nonsense, and truly apples to oranges.

Even a win history does not guarantee that one coach was better than the other. Great coaches can be saddled with s***ty players and teams, just as s***ty coaches can be gifted with great players and teams. It happens. Hey, give me nothing but full houses against Doyle's consistent trips, and watch just how "great" I am against him as a coach of the hands I was dealt.

But then again, I don't think the Wings' performance in this series relative to the last one was the fault of the players OR the coach anyway, and I don't think line changes could have done anything to address what I thought was the real problem.

You make it too complicated. Coaches can be compared. Or if you argue it like that then why would it be any different when comparing players? Players play in different teams, coaches coach different teams. You can compare coaches if you can compare players.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#18 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

I don't see how that question can even be answered.

Uh, no. It's Babcock right now. Right now. McLellan's resume isn't even in the same tier yet. Babs has championships within different leagues of hockey, multiple 50 win and 100 point NHL seasons, NHL finals appearances, a gold medal, etc. McLellan still hasn't coached a team that has won a game in the third round. In fact, McLellan could win a cup this year and he still wouldn't be a better coach. Babs is better right now. It's as simple as that.

#19 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

You make it too complicated. Coaches can be compared. Or if you argue it like that then why would it be any different when comparing players? Players play in different teams, coaches coach different teams. You can compare coaches if you can compare players.

Oh, then by all means compare. Vote or come to a conclusion, and let the question be settled once and for all.

The difference between comparing coaches and players should be obvious, since the players are the only ones with 99%+ control over the game, and the sheer number of specific stats for each player makes their caliber differences far more obvious. Coaches can coach different teams, but only in different years. And every coach has a different chemistry with its team.

I'm not saying you can't compare coaches. Obviously you can. I'm saying that it's all going to be almost completely subjective. You won't have any way of separating, or knowing for sure, which successes and/or failures were more attributable to the coaches, vs. the players, the team captain, other teams, or even other factors. Those are built-in complications. How do you deal with them to get a reliable metric that any disinterested observer could agree on?

#20 Zonly1

Zonly1

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Babcock is the better coach. He's just not really good at motivating his players in pressure situations.