• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Probie

Some possible NEEDED changes in the Offseason

Rate this topic

something pretty significant needs to be done. the summer will be long (looking like it) and lots of fans will get over it and just be excited for some more hockey, but many won't. and if holland comes back next year talking about how he likes our team again there will be some pretty upset people, me included.

our team does look good on paper but we're missing what takes you deep into the playoffs. i've watched a lot of the other games and what i noticed is how mean the other teams are. we can hit, we haven't had to prove that this series, but we aren't very mean. i think a mean player is a motivated player and can physically and mentally wear down other players.

i don't know. i'm frustrated. i love this team but they sure are frustrating.

Goodbye McCrimmon.

please?

2011/12:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Cleary

Franzen - Filppula - Bertuzzi

Hudler - Helm - Eaves

Abdelkader - Emmerton - Mursak

(Holmstrom)

2012/13...

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Cleary

Franzen - Filppula - Hudler

Tatar - Helm - Mursak

Abdelkader - Emmerton - Eaves

2013/14 is where we really start seeing change...

Jarnkrok/Pulkkinen/Nyquist/Andersson come on down!

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Guest stinky fish taco

oh god, dan cleary is signed for TWO more years @ 3mil?

ugh.

send his ass to the minors.

I think the Wings need better D. I think Erickson is a 7th D man at best. Brad Stuart is good but I dont think he should be logging important ice time in playoffs he seems to get nervious and can not even get the puck out of the zone and turns it over a lot. Lindstrom is still great but not getting any younger and maybe not quite as sharp. Just a side note on the Shark series Hudler and Flipula seem to be bumbling around with the puck almost every time they have it. Almost turning it over in some cases turning it over and even almost falling a few times. IDK what the problem is.

I raised the Cap $3M and put as conservatively estimated salaries as possible (meaning in most cases they should definitely be enough to get it done). I plugged in certain UFAs that I like and think would work well here and are also from teams that are either going to have tough decisions to make in trying to keep them or they are in one way or another some what replaceable based on other players currently on those teams' rosters.

Also, this roster is supposed to be realistic in the sense that we're just flat out not going to see wholesale changes to the core of the Wings. You will not see guys like Filppula, Kronwall, Stuart or Cleary moved. I'm assuming that the bulk of the current players will be brought back with the exception of Miller, Modano (retire), and Salei. Then there are options if Draper and Osgood do decide to call it quits as well.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Raffi Torres ($1.150m)

Arron Asham (or Kris Draper) ($0.800m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($1.350m)

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov (or Chris Osgood) ($0.800m) *obviously we all know the NYI situation with Nabokov so you can insert any name here. The price range is the point

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,258,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $141,288

Edited by mmamolo

eric cole please and thank you.

Probably cheap,..would fit in exceptionally well with a playmaker (hell eric staal actually struggles without him) is fast and can hit.

This team needs to get bigger and tougher

soft euro experiment needs to come to and end.

If by bigger and tougher you mean having more guys like Bertuzzi and Homer, then no. Team speed has always been what makes this team great.

This team needs to get bigger and tougher

soft euro experiment needs to come to and end.

Yea because it didn't work in 2008 when we won the Cup and it didn't work in 2009 when we lost in game 7 of the finals. And it's been 2 whole years since then so obviously we can't win with Europeans.

I think the Wings need better D. I think Erickson is a 7th D man at best. Brad Stuart is good but I dont think he should be logging important ice time in playoffs he seems to get nervious and can not even get the puck out of the zone and turns it over a lot. Lidstrom is still great but not getting any younger and maybe not quite as sharp. Just a side note on the Shark series Hudler and Flipula seem to be bumbling around with the puck almost every time they have it. Almost turning it over in some cases turning it over and even almost falling a few times. IDK what the problem is.

The defense doesn't need rebuilt, but it needs to look different next year. New defensive coach, new defensemen. Hopefully Lidstrom stays, Rafalski will be back for one more year and Kronwall are all solid. As for everyone else, I wouldn't miss them. I feel like the more responsibility Stuart gets, the worse are defense is. I have some hope for Ericsson, but then I had hope for our other Eriksson (Anders Eriksson) years ago and see how well him turned out. Salei isn't anything special and can be easily replaced by someone better. Pitkanen, Hannan, Bieska, Ehrhoff, Jovanovski will all be UFA's this summer. We have very few shot blockers on this defense and that needs to change. Our PK has been horrendous for the last three years. I really believe that if we sort out our problems on defense and really focus on fixing that, we'll have a lot less people wanting to change up the forwards and goalies.

If by bigger and tougher you mean having more guys like Bertuzzi and Homer, then no. Team speed has always been what makes this team great.

Absolutely not. I would like to see some of the smaller, soft skill guys, IE Hudler, Filpulla, and maybe some prospects traded for a legit power forward or a tough shut down d man. I have given up on ericsson and would like to see him replaced with a guy like brookbank for the 6th d man.

Yea because it didn't work in 2008 when we won the Cup and it didn't work in 2009 when we lost in game 7 of the finals. And it's been 2 whole years since then so obviously we can't win with Europeans.

That team that won the cup in 08 was a very well balanced team and it played tough against opponents and had heart. Have not seen that the last 2 years, the wings were way to casual against SJ and didn't play with any heart or grit. They have been outworked in the corners badly and have been puck watchers. Lets not forget that cup was 3 years ago and are star players were peaking, now they are on the decline, on the wrong side of 30 and injury prone. Those zeterberg and franzen contracts are going to look horrible in a couple years.

This thing isn't working anymore and needs to change.

Well first of all, it didnt work in 2009... or is that 2009 cup banner for the wings sitting in the janitors closet at the joe waiting to be hung?

Second of all, that 2008 team was the only somewhat tough team the wings have had post lockout, also the only one to win a cup.

Holland needs to go back to building a big, tough, physical shut down line on the third line instead of this 3 scoring line crap with guys like Hudler floating around out there. Drake, Cleary, Draper was our third line when we last won the cup and the 3 before that still had the grind line intact.

Add Matt Bradley, Washington will probably be making changes and Bradley is a very similar player to Mac in his prime, play him with Helm at center and Abdelkader on wing and we have the grind line pretty much re constructed. Maybe try to flip a scoring forward like Hudler or Flip and replace him with Scottie Upshall. He provides some grit and can play in the top 6 if needed.

add a real bruiser on defense to handle bigger forwards and this team will be better off

I dont know how much longer people will continue with excuses but this team is just too soft and doesnt have the heart and soul players to go far.

Guest CaliWingsNut

---- [ Mile long O.P. condensed for thread length consideration. ]

Where did you get your definition of "FACT" and why are you spelling it all in capitols? Is this somehow supposed to make your opinions sound more fact like?

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Wings aren't trading for any players or offering any RFAs an offer sheet. This isn't NHL the video game. Trading Filppula AND Hudler for Bogosian is one of the worst trades I have ever seen suggested (hyperbole included).

All our additions for next season will be one or two free agents signings and one or two AHL call-ups.

Brad Richards and Shea Weber will not be Wings. Players with NMC or NTC will not be traded. Filppula will not be going anywhere. If Draper and Modano don't want to retire, they will be brought back as the 12th/13th forward.

Nearly the same team will be back next year.

Babcock just signed a 4 year extension making him the highest paid coach in the NHL back in the fall.

Pavel is signed for another 3 years, Zetterberg for 10, and Franzen for 9. Pretty much everyone else is a free agent after next season. Homer, Bert, Hudler, Val Filppula, Cleary, Rafi, Stuart, and Kronwall are all UFA after 2012. Howard is around for another 2 years. I honestly can't remember if Helm and Abby signed one or 2 year deals, but I think we all know neither of them is going anywhere quite yet. Mursak should help add some hunger and much needed speed and a right handed shot to the lineup next year. I hope Draper retires. I don't think Miller will be back.

My point is, the Wings will be nearly the same next year. I hope Lidstrom comes back for one more year. If he doesn't, that is a lot of cap space to use but big skates to fill. What do professional athletes usually do when they are in a contract year? Answer: have some of their best seasons. I think one more season allows some of the prospects to nip at the heels of the veterans and season themselves one more year in GR and come up in '13. Small changes for next year, big changes in 2013. That's my prediction.

Edited by South Dakota wings fan

i know i'll get flamed for this, but the only players i care if we keep are datsyuk, lidstrom, and helm. everyone else that doesn't have a no trade clause can go on the trading block.

You won't get flamed for it, because it's an opinion that doesn't make any dramatic assertions. Why do you feel everyone else is expendable?

Not sure if you guys saw this today....from Yahoo Sports...Holland seems to be realizing changes need to be made:

“If you were to say that it’s over, I’d tell you it’s not because of the way that I feel,” Draper said. “But I’m going to obviously have to sit down with Kenny Holland and see what the plans are for me.”

Said Osgood: “For me, either way is good. If I don’t play, it’ll be good. If I do, it’ll be great.”

Holland is looking ahead only to Friday night. But he said: “At some point in time, this season’s going to be over. Then we’ll obviously start to plan for ’11-12. I think the nature of the industry, there’s change. There has to be change. Nobody just brings the entire team back. … I’m aware we’ve got some veteran guys. Some probably will be back. Some probably won’t.

Franzen. He is the prime example in my opinion of what is wrong with this team now days. 2008 he was a machine. But you know what? The first 3/4 of that season he was a checking line player who worked his ass off. When he got 1st line time, he exploded offensively ad had an amazing post season. Since then, he has become a scorer, and that has totally changed his work ethic. All season long he has been floating around on the ice. People can say "as long as he shows up for the playoffs" all they want. I don't buy it. The guy was a workhorse before he became what he is now, and that is the Mule this team needs. He could have been a 40 goal scorer this season, but he decided to take the last couple months of the season off. I don't recall the Red Wings of the late 90's doing that... I say try and package Franzen for a true power forward, who will do what ever it takes to win, ALL YEAR LONG. Bring in a couple nasty bastard for the bottom 6, tweak the defense to make it bigger and meaner, and we have a team that can do some damage again. We need a few nasty players who can wake this team back up when they play like they are half asleep. The talent and depth is there, it's the heart that isn't. This team needs a Mule again, and I really don't think #93 is living up to that name anymore...

This team doesn't need big changes. It either needs a bunch of smaller one, or just one big one to shake things up.

Edited by marcaractac

The only trade I would like to see made is Mule- not because I don't like the guy, but I hate his contract length. Otherwise, the Wings will likely wait one more season before making any major changes. At that time, we might see some major improvements.

See I agree with Trading Mule as well. The dude is a stud when he is on, but inbetween all the injuries the dude is a China Doll. I'm sick of the injury excuses, this guy is making 5 million per and scores 25 goals!!! Not good enough! Also Ericcson, what a waste of space, constantly getting beat, never uses his size and flat out SUCKS!!! Flipper, needs to leave as well, tons of talent but disappears when we need him. Raffi is GREAT on the PP and I do not know why people want him gone! As for getting rid of Kindl instead of Ericcson is just crazy! I hope we see Kindl in the lineup tonight instead of Errorson! Other than that the lineuo is pretty decent for a salary cap era. But I do agree with the original poster, we need to get much more hungry and show up every night! These third period blown leads are terrible and are becoming more common and I think it comes from guys not being hungry enough to win!!

Wings aren't trading for any players or offering any RFAs an offer sheet. This isn't NHL the video game. Trading Filppula AND Hudler for Bogosian is one of the worst trades I have ever seen suggested (hyperbole included).

All our additions for next season will be one or two free agents signings and one or two AHL call-ups.

Brad Richards and Shea Weber will not be Wings. Players with NMC or NTC will not be traded. Filppula will not be going anywhere. If Draper and Modano don't want to retire, they will be brought back as the 12th/13th forward.

I understand what you're saying and I really don't think Holland will make a drastic move. My hope though is he takes some risks this offseason because staying the course the last two years haven't gotten the wings too far. The three years the wings made deep runs were years they made some type of move in the offseason and at the deadline, and purely from the entertainment side of things it adds excitement.