• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

Boogaard called, he said he wants his title back.

LOL
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#22 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

Boogaard called, he said he wants his title back.

O yeah I had forgotten about the want for Boogard
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

@OP: Hahahahaha. Did you learn your GM skills by playing NHL 11? Or perhaps Eastside Hockey Manager?

Also, I'd like to see how much your tone changes if the Wings win this series.

#24 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

@OP: Hahahahaha. Did you learn your GM skills by playing NHL 11? Or perhaps Eastside Hockey Manager?

Also, I'd like to see how much your tone changes if the Wings win this series.

That's a pretty big if right now, given what we've seen and the recent history. I still think they can do it, but IF they don't, San Jose all the sudden goes from being our cute little cousins that choke in the playoffs to being a bonafide obstacle for the Wings going in to next season. If we lose to San Jose, I don't see how you can continue to ice the same team. Insanity, right?

Edited by Broken 16, 03 May 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#25 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

...while I agree with a lot of what the original poster said, I still think that most of our problems can be addressed through free agency.

Blueadams' 2011/2012 Detroit Red Wings Off-Season Plan: (source: http://www.capgeek.c...rts.php?Team=15)

Release:

Modano-1.8m-*FA* - I wouldn’t bring him back. +1.8m
Draper-1.6m-*FA* - I wouldn’t bring him back. +1.6m
Eaves-0.8m-*FA* - I wouldn’t bring him back. +0.8m
Miller-0.7m-*FA* - I wouldn’t bring him back. +0.7m
Salei-1.1m-*FA* - I wouldn’t bring him back. +1.1m
Ericsson-0.9m-*FA* I wouldn’t bring him back. +0.9m
Osgood-1.4m-*FA* - I wouldn’t bring him back. +1.4m
MacDonald-0.6m-*FA* - I wouldn’t bring him back (not on an NHL roster). +0.6m

+8.9m

Retain:

Lidstrom-6.2m-*FA* - I would bring him back, at about the same price. -0.0m

+8.9m

Promote:

Smith-0.9m – He’s going to be on the roster. -0.9m
Mursak-0.6m – He’s going to be on the roster. -0.6m

+7.4m

Free Agency:

…Here’s where it’s going to get interesting; in this scenario, we’d have about 7.4m to spend on four players (two forwards, a defenseman, and a backup goalie).

#1) I’d go league minimum on a goalie (maybe bring Daniel Larsson over). -0.5m

+6.9m

#2) I’d see if we could sign Teemu Selanne to sign a one year contract at his current salary. -4.5m

+2.4m

#3/#4) I’d spend the remaining 2.4m on a couple of ‘Dallas Drake-types’ (i.e. – hungry veteran leaders that are tough, gritty, physical and fight). I'd rather have that than Ericsson and Eaves, wouldn't you!?

...*If I couldn't get Selanne, I'd split the remaining 6.9m over three (better) 'Dallas Drake-types'.

Blueadams' 2011/2012 Detroit Red Wings:

*Selanne(4.5m)-Datsyuk(6.7m)-Holmstrom(1.9m)
Franzen(4.0m)-Zetterberg(6.1m)-Bertuzzi(1.9m)
Hudler(2.9m)-Filppula(3.0m)-Cleary(2.8m)
Abdelkader(0.8m)-Helm(0.9m)-*?*
Mursak-0.6m

Lidstrom(6.2m)-Rafalski(6.0m)
Kronwall(3.0m)-Stuart(3.75m)
Smith(0.9m)-*?*
Kindl-0.9m

Howard-2.3m
*Larsson-0.5m

...Ken Holland's '2011/2012 Detroit Red Wings Off-Season Plan' probably includes resigning Ericsson, and maybe Eaves. :(

Edited by blueadams, 03 May 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#26 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

Winning is a wonderful panacea.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#27 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

This place is f**ked which is part of the reason I love it here but we have lost 2 games in a row, played like s*** and now it's going to be 2343 offseason threads...have some faith. I like how the OP put in the disclaimer at the start of his post ...

"Ok folks, I'm not one to panic and say the sky is falling, nor am I one to be negative when things get bumpy."

That is exactly what you are doing !

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#28 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

This place is f**ked which is part of the reason I love it here but we have lost 2 games in a row, played like s*** and now it's going to be 2343 offseason threads...have some faith. I like how the OP put in the disclaimer at the start of his post ...

"Ok folks, I'm not one to panic and say the sky is falling, nor am I one to be negative when things get bumpy."

That is exactly what you are doing !

Relax. It's just speculation. Nothing else to talk about...

#29 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Good post. I like the idea of getting Laich, but I can't imagine the Caps letting him go. He's their true leader. I like the trades you have, but no way would the Blues give us Stewart and Bogosian isn't going anywhere. Lose Hudler, Kindl, and Bertuzzi? Yes. Lose Kronwall? No. I've been saying since last year that we need to start looking to rebuild the defense and not really because of performance either, but simply because they're not going to be around forever. Lidstrom has maybe another year left and Rafalski will be gone after next year. I think Kronwall is good enough to be on the top pair, but not Stuart and our 5th and 6th defenseman are barely good enough to hold those spots. The strength of this team needs to be the defensemen and I feel like Holland has been paying maybe too much attention to the forwards situation and needs to put the focus back on what drives this team the most.

#30 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

To the OP and others concerned with the future of our blue line...rest assured.

Shea Weber is a RFA this off-season. So, I'm guessing that he'll probably be an UFA next off-season...when Rafalski's 6m/yr contract comes off the books.

Drew Doughty is a RFA next off-season. So I'm guessing that he'll probably be an UFA the next off-season...when Lidstrom's 6m-ish/yr contract will probably come off the books. (Suter and Burns will also be a UFA that year).

Both played for Babs and Holland on Team Canada...both are young...both are very, very, very good.

:)

Edited by blueadams, 03 May 2011 - 02:33 PM.

#31 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

To the OP and others concerned with the future of our blue line...rest assured.

Shea Weber is a RFA this off-season. So, I'm guessing that he'll probably be an UFA next off-season...when Rafalski's 6m/yr contract comes off the books.

Drew Doughty is a RFA next off-season. So I'm guessing that he'll probably be an UFA the next off-season...when Lidstrom's 6m-ish/yr contract will probably come off the books.

Both played for Babs and Holland on Team Canada...both are young...both are very, very, very good.

:)

both will sign deals longer than 1 year with their current teams.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#32 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

both will sign deals longer than 1 year with their current teams.

Maybe we should establish ourselves as the Miami Heat of the NHL and inform both that we'll be signing them if they become UFA's.

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

Maybe we should establish ourselves as the Miami Heat of the NHL and inform both that we'll be signing them if they become UFA's.

I'm sure the fines and sanctions would be glorious.

Also, Teemu isn't leaving Anaheim. Not a chance.

#34 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

I'm sure the fines and sanctions would be glorious.

Also, Teemu isn't leaving Anaheim. Not a chance.

1) There are ways to get messages across the wire.
2) Maybe - it might be his last season, he'll want to make it count.

#35 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

The first priorities in the offseason are:

Keep Lidstrom, and sign another defenseman, preferably Joni Pitkanen or Christian Ehrhoff. Yes, Shea Weber would be great... but I don't see the Wings giving up the picks. And even if they were willing to, I would expect Nashville to match anyway. If he could be had via trade, it would definitely involve Kronwall and a 1st (maybe more picks than that), plus probably a forward (most likely Filppula or Hudler) and possibly a good prospect or two. If Lidstrom retires, sign another defenseman to fill his spot. Holland likely plans on keeping Ericsson, so the new defenseman would be taking Salei's roster spot.

Secure backup goaltending. Osgood intends to come back, so if he is healthy and able expect that. Likely Holland will also sign a veteran who is capable of playing in the NHL and will sign at or close to minimum. If Osgood can't come back, Holland will sign someone else for a similar salary level. No, it won't be Larsson, and no, it won't be Conklin.

Fill out forward corps. Modano, Draper, Eaves, and Miller are UFAs. Emmerton and Mursak are signed and cannot go to Grand Rapids next year without being waived; neither would pass. Modano will almost certainly be gone, given that he's been relegated to 14th forward and has realized that he didn't really have the desire to play another season. Draper is likely to retire. Eaves and Miller are both good PK guys, but ultimately only one needs to return. Helm/Dats/Z/Abby/Flip/Cleary all play PK... if Huds keeps improving defensively and physically he might see time there also.

This leaves one roster spot and probably around $4m-$5m in cap space. This could tack on a solid second line forward or a good defenseman. Perhaps instead of Lidstrom/Pitkanen/Ericsson the Wings can go Lidstrom/Pitkanen/Ehrhoff with that kind of cap space change? Lidstrom/Ehrhoff/Kronwall/Pitkanen/Rafalski/Stuart is a downright scary top-six. Kindl stays on as the seventh guy.

Then you keep a versatile guy like Meech at minimum wage for the 23rd spot, or just run with 22.

Huds/Dats/Cleary
Franzen/Z/Holmstrom
Bertuzzi/Filppula/Eaves
Abdelkader/Helm/Mursak
Emmerton

Lidstrom/Rafalski
Kronwall/Stuart
Ehrhoff/Pitkanen
Kindl

Howard
Osgood

After next year, Kronner, Raffi, and Stuart all go UFA. Lidstrom also, if he stays after this season. Rafalski will probably retire, and likely Lidstrom if he is still around at that point. Kronwall will probably be retained, and Stuart is questionable depending on what other defensemen are on the team, what's going on with Ericsson/Kindl/Smith/etc. So over the next two to three seasons we're seeing a complete turnover defensively.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#36 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

The first priorities in the offseason are:

Keep Lidstrom, and sign another defenseman, preferably Joni Pitkanen or Christian Ehrhoff. Yes, Shea Weber would be great... but I don't see the Wings giving up the picks. And even if they were willing to, I would expect Nashville to match anyway. If he could be had via trade, it would definitely involve Kronwall and a 1st (maybe more picks than that), plus probably a forward (most likely Filppula or Hudler) and possibly a good prospect or two. If Lidstrom retires, sign another defenseman to fill his spot. Holland likely plans on keeping Ericsson, so the new defenseman would be taking Salei's roster spot.

Secure backup goaltending. Osgood intends to come back, so if he is healthy and able expect that. Likely Holland will also sign a veteran who is capable of playing in the NHL and will sign at or close to minimum. If Osgood can't come back, Holland will sign someone else for a similar salary level. No, it won't be Larsson, and no, it won't be Conklin.

Fill out forward corps. Modano, Draper, Eaves, and Miller are UFAs. Emmerton and Mursak are signed and cannot go to Grand Rapids next year without being waived; neither would pass. Modano will almost certainly be gone, given that he's been relegated to 14th forward and has realized that he didn't really have the desire to play another season. Draper is likely to retire. Eaves and Miller are both good PK guys, but ultimately only one needs to return. Helm/Dats/Z/Abby/Flip/Cleary all play PK... if Huds keeps improving defensively and physically he might see time there also.

This leaves one roster spot and probably around $4m-$5m in cap space. This could tack on a solid second line forward or a good defenseman. Perhaps instead of Lidstrom/Pitkanen/Ericsson the Wings can go Lidstrom/Pitkanen/Ehrhoff with that kind of cap space change? Lidstrom/Ehrhoff/Kronwall/Pitkanen/Rafalski/Stuart is a downright scary top-six. Kindl stays on as the seventh guy.

Then you keep a versatile guy like Meech at minimum wage for the 23rd spot, or just run with 22.

Huds/Dats/Cleary
Franzen/Z/Holmstrom
Bertuzzi/Filppula/Eaves
Abdelkader/Helm/Mursak
Emmerton

Lidstrom/Rafalski
Kronwall/Stuart
Ehrhoff/Pitkanen
Kindl

Howard
Osgood

After next year, Kronner, Raffi, and Stuart all go UFA. Lidstrom also, if he stays after this season. Rafalski will probably retire, and likely Lidstrom if he is still around at that point. Kronwall will probably be retained, and Stuart is questionable depending on what other defensemen are on the team, what's going on with Ericsson/Kindl/Smith/etc. So over the next two to three seasons we're seeing a complete turnover defensively.

1-Emmerton's contract is two-way.
2-Smith will be on the roster next season.
3-Ozzie's so done.

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

Huds/Dats/Cleary
Franzen/Z/Holmstrom
Bertuzzi/Filppula/Eaves
Abdelkader/Helm/Mursak
Emmerton

Lidstrom/Rafalski
Kronwall/Stuart
Ehrhoff/Pitkanen
Kindl

Howard
Osgood

Uh.....ya, but who is gonna clear the front of the net?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#38 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

Are first priority is winning this series. Thats it.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#39 Probie

Probie

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:43 AM

Good post. I like the idea of getting Laich, but I can't imagine the Caps letting him go. He's their true leader. I like the trades you have, but no way would the Blues give us Stewart and Bogosian isn't going anywhere. Lose Hudler, Kindl, and Bertuzzi? Yes. Lose Kronwall? No. I've been saying since last year that we need to start looking to rebuild the defense and not really because of performance either, but simply because they're not going to be around forever. Lidstrom has maybe another year left and Rafalski will be gone after next year. I think Kronwall is good enough to be on the top pair, but not Stuart and our 5th and 6th defenseman are barely good enough to hold those spots. The strength of this team needs to be the defensemen and I feel like Holland has been paying maybe too much attention to the forwards situation and needs to put the focus back on what drives this team the most.

Yes i agree with what you said. My only point about having to trade one of the core for younger players, and or picks is that most of our core like rafs, lids, homer wont and or cant be traded or have no trade value. If we were to swing a deal for part of the older core(i think kronner is a bargain and a very good defensemen and i would gladly trade others out of the core if i could) is because he does have value, and could be replaced via free agency, or close there too. All the other older core have ntc or nmc or no value. Its something you don't want to do, but you cant watch all our top core players walk into the sunset and get nothing out of them. That was all.

Yes the blues wouldn't likely let Stewart go but my point is a player like him (some size and skill-size we need) is important to us.

I thought Zack Bogosian was on the block during the season, as the were multiple articles mentioning this. Detroit was rumored, and the package rumored was Huds Kindl and a first. I said "Hudler + Kindl + ~2nd(2011)=Bogosian (might have to add a pick or prospect to make it work)". Now my idea is less then what the middle season rumor was but both hudler and kindl raised their values towards the end of the season imo. I also said "might have to add a pick or prospect to make it work" as its hard to guage players true values, all folks like us can do is knowledgeably speculate, and it could take more then i thought to get it done. I don't think Bogo is a #1 defensemen in the making, and as a former top pick he is overated by some because of his draft position, but he does have potential and he was in my post penciled in as our bottom pairing guy till more spots open in the 2012-2013 season and when he has improved after another year. Young guys need time to develop look at JVR even last year was rumored to be on the block and was a bit of a disappointment and the asking price then wont be even close to what it would be now as he blossomed into a good player. I don't see him being worse then our bottom pairing guys this season. I acknowledge he has a ways to go as a player. Yes I agree the strength of our team needs to be the defensemen like you said, and having what I mentioned as Bogo and Smid on the bottom pairing is an improvement on what we had this season in that spot. Those two have size and the ability to clear the crease and be physical, more so then Salei and Erricson. Thanks for a well thought out post.

Edited by Probie, 04 May 2011 - 12:44 AM.

#40 Grayne Wetzky

Grayne Wetzky

Rookie

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

Wow. This team isn't done yet. They have to make a fundamental change, though. When Rafalski and Ericsson are on the ice, the team has to have Datsyuk or Zetterberg on the ice.

Double shift Datsyuk and Zetterberg and make sure that Ericsson (Pylon) and Rafalski (*****) have some support from a top notch defensive forward. Then they should be able to climb back into this.