• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

sharks are cheapest team in the nhl at the moment. wings has always been having problem playing against cheap teams.

What does this mean? I think not payroll. You mean cheap-shots I suppose. There is a little bit of that with the ice washes aimed at Howard I suppose, but otherwise I don't see a case where "cheap" play is costing the wings the series.

The Wings have trouble playing SJ and staying out of the penalty box - I agree there is alot of bulls*** involved in this, but have to admit it is not the reason the wings lose games to SJ in the end.

IMO the teams are fairly evenly talented - obviously - and play a similar style. Wings blew home ice the last few weeks of the season, and have trouble matching up with SJ - such are the draws and perils in the POs. Will be interesting to see what happens in the 2 games at the Joe.
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#22 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:16 PM

<...> There is a little bit of that with the ice washes aimed at Howard I suppose, but otherwise I don't see a case where "cheap" play is costing the wings the series.
<...>

Last year antics by setoguchi, this year by paveski (sp?) - are all cheap in my books.

I'm not saying those are the main or the only reasons Wings lost last year and are loosing now. Wings need to show up. If they can, cheap or not wouldn't matter.

Anyway, as I said Wings have a history being not very successful against cheap teams, e.g. Ducks.

Edited by ami, 03 May 2011 - 11:22 PM.

#23 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

Last year antics by setoguchi, this year by paveski (sp?) - are all cheap in my books.

I'm not saying those are the main or the only reasons Wings lost last year and are loosing now. Wings need to show up. If they can, cheap or not wouldn't matter.

Anyway, as I said Wings have a history being not very successful against cheap teams, e.g. Ducks.

You literally said that the Sharks are the cheapest team in the NHL, though.

That's some pretty huge hyperbole when you're pointing out stuff that the Wings do as well (diving).

#24 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

You literally said that the Sharks are the cheapest team in the NHL, though.

That's some pretty huge hyperbole when you're pointing out stuff that the Wings do as well (diving).

It's not all black and white either. All teams have guys that dive but only a chosen few teams have perfected it. You gotta know just when to grab your face and just when to quiver your lip. Tears never hurt.

Edited by Broken 16, 03 May 2011 - 11:44 PM.

#25 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:16 AM

It's not all black and white either. All teams have guys that dive but only a chosen few teams have perfected it. You gotta know just when to grab your face and just when to quiver your lip. Tears never hurt.

Oh I know. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in saying that Pavelski and Setoguchi dive and that makes them the cheapest team in the NHL.

#26 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:57 AM

Posted Image

#27 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:25 AM

Geez, how is it that Grypho always post the best response? I want to hate him for being a Sharks fan...

I think in all honesty, Detroit and San Jose are completely even. We've had a bit of bad luck, and the tank is one of the worst arenas in the league for away teams to play at. If we can win games 3 and 4, I bet that game 5 determines the winner of this series.

We need to play better in the offensive zone though, as we keep getting one chance, and then they clear it. We have not gotten enough sustained pressure, and that is causing us trouble.

#28 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:59 AM

Geez, how is it that Grypho always post the best response? I want to hate him for being a Sharks fan...

I think in all honesty, Detroit and San Jose are completely even. We've had a bit of bad luck, and the tank is one of the worst arenas in the league for away teams to play at. If we can win games 3 and 4, I bet that game 5 determines the winner of this series.

We need to play better in the offensive zone though, as we keep getting one chance, and then they clear it. We have not gotten enough sustained pressure, and that is causing us trouble.

This. I think both teams are equally as good, but only one seems to be playing balls-out playoff hockey. Hope that changes tonite.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#29 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Ian White is better then Ericsson. Wellwood is better then Eaves.

Anyone is better than Ericsson.

#30 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

TOI is probably what I should've used

#31 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

All the talent in the world doesn't mean a thing if your guys don't show up and play.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#32 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

As a neutral observer (Canucks fan), it's difficult for me to agree that San Jose is better than Detroit, even with the Wings being down by two games. Looking at the quarter finals, a depleted LA Kings took the Sharks to six games. Are The Wings of today (who swept the dogs) worse than a badly depleted Kings team? Not in my opinion. I think the Wings will come alive tonight.

Edited by Chairman Maouth, 04 May 2011 - 11:40 AM.

It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#33 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

<...>I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in saying that Pavelski and Setoguchi dive and that makes them the cheapest team in the NHL.

Well, if it were just these two... Pretty much the whole team have mastered this useful skill... Behave like a man, this is a men's game.

That why I'm loosing respect to this team over time.
That said, sharks diving is a last reason Wings are loosing.

My point was (speaking to the topic): yes, sharks are more talented than Wings, if you know what I mean. :)

#34 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,817 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

To reiterate what I said yesterday, Vancouver is a lot more talented than Nashville, yet Nashville has won a game and almost won another one yesterday.

The gap between the Sharks and Wings isn't that great.

We just have to play harder and learn how to win close games, and especially, those damn OT games.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#35 Crabik

Crabik

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

For those of you comparing player to player...

It shouldn't be based on points or salary. It should be based on the most obvious determination of where a player falls in his team's structure. Even strength average ice time. Otherwise you're comparing Ed Jovanovski and his $6.5m salary as Phoenix's top defenseman, when in reality he is their #6.

It should be all possible iterations of all players. :P

#36 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

I don't necessarily think that they are better than us, they have a huge monkey on their backs to not underachieve this year. The Wings were like that once, finally winning in 97. I respect the sharks for being a talented team, but luck, some questionable calls have helped so far. And certain players diving and snow showering is stupid on their part considering how much talent they have. If the sharks win this series I will root for them and Tampa Baby, but I know that the wings aren't gonna lose another game in this series.

#37 aMonster

aMonster

Rookie

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

As the 'other' Canucks fan here I would say the teams have comparative talent, the difference is as others have stated, one team seems to simply want it more. I'll be very upset if Detroit doesn't advance in this series as I badly want the Canucks to send Detroit packing this year!

#38 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Wings are the better team, they just don't have the desire and drive to compete like the Sharks. I still think this series goes 7.

#39 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Right now, they're getting better puck luck. Both OT wins off of the sticks of Wings.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#40 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

San Jose has a better defensive coordinator, that's for sure.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!