• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 3 GDT: Sharks 4 at Red Wings 3 (OT)

Rate this topic

Detroit has a lot of great true fans of the team. I just tire of the bandwagon fans whining, bitching, calling out to fire coaches, management, and players. Stand behind your team for a change. Be respectful in losing and winning. It really is that simple.

follow-blindly.png

Its been done twice in the past year. The Sharks coming back from a 4-0 deficit to beat the Kings was unlikely. The Wings sweeping the Coyotes without Zetterberg was unlikely. The Bolts sweeping the Caps was unlikely. The Wings going down 3-0 to the Sharks again was unlikely. There has been a lot of "unlikely" things happening in this playoff season. What's one more?

Yeah, that's a toughie.

You never cease to amaze me...

In your eyes, Hudler never looks bad. Face it, he stinks, and I am so glad everyday more and more people are seeing it. Hopefully Holland see's it now. Trade him for whatever you can get...

Howards poor positioning? I am far from a huge Howard fan, but on the goal you speak of, if Setaguchi gets all of the puck Howard makes the save. As a goalie you can't assume the puck is going to come at you at 10 MPH, it's like a batter waiting for a fastball and then swinging way to early on a change up and looking like he is swatting at flies. When you are expecting 100 MPH and get 10 MPH, you kinda look silly, but Howard played that play perfectly from a technical standpoint.

On Boyles goal, unless that puck hits Howard, there was no way he was going to stop it. Unless it hits them, NO goalie can stop a wrister above their glove. You can research every goalie ever to play the game and they have ALL given up goals top shelf above the glove. Either it hits them or its in... Besides, Howard DID get a piece of it, so it did hit him but just not enough...

Your crush on Hudler and Filppula disturbs us, maybe Holland should trade them to you? I am 99% sure they will both be on the roster next season, and that is way too unfortunate because they are a waster of nearly $6M in cap.

Howard can't assume the puck is coming at 10 mph. He also shouldn't be assuming that it's coming at 100 mph. And what if Setoguchi doesn't even shoot? Howard wouldn't have been able to get back across the crease if Setoguchi passes back across the ice; it's an open net shot. All Howard had to do was plant his damn skate; he can cover the part of his pad that comes off the ice with the stick that is otherwise in front of his body serving him no purpose. And voila! He stops the shot.

Knowing not to fling yourself out of your crease is basic goaltending. While he has been impressive for most of the playoff run, he has steadily declined as the pressure increased. Goalies like Hasek and Osgood played their best in high pressure situations.

As for Boyle's goal; my main complaint about Howard on that play is that he dropped to the ice when Wellwood sent the puck across to Boyle, and basically crab-walked over to try and square up to Boyle. Furthering that, Howard dove forward when trying to make the save, offering up more open net. When he swiped his glove at the puck, the entire top half of the net was available. Howard didn't try to "block" the shot, he tried to "grab" the shot. He didn't try to put his body in front of it, or simply get his glove in the path; he swiped at it. Take away one of those decisions, Howard probably stops that puck. Take away all three, and Howard definitely stops it.

Hudler is the popular scapegoat around here, I won't deny that. And his first 30 games of the regular season were not spectacular by any stretch. But the fact remains that since Christmas, even if you remove the time Hudler played with Datsyuk, Hudler has outperformed Franzen. And if you look at the stretch Hudler played with Dats, it's hard to argue who has better chemistry WITH Datsyuk. Hudler has outperformed Franzen in the playoffs, and everyone was giving Franzen plenty of leeway in the regular season because "he'll be great in the playoffs." Well he's not. Hudler's been on of the team's top forwards. Babcock has said so. Ken and Mickey have said so. You have always hated him because he's small and European. Good for you. As for Filppula... wasn't it just a few months ago I was classified as a "Filppula hater" by this forum? I lose track of these things, outside of those like yourself who simply can't acknowledge positives about a player.

I couldn't see the game so did anyone throw an octopus before the game? Was the crowd rocking?

There were a couple. One had some red, white and blue ribbons tied to it and then I saw at least one more. They were all after the national anthem.

I'm so pleased to see octopuses still flying to the ice of the Joe! Keep the tradition alive. Bettman sucks!

It's not as prevalent as it used to be. Honestly, this playoff run just hasn't felt like the typical Red Wings playoff experience. I don't know if it was the feed or what, but the crowd wasn't into the game all that much last night, and on top, per usual, the lower bowl was only 50% full.

I thought Filppula and Hudler both had strong games last night.

Isn't it amazing how two people can watch the same event and come to opposite conclusions? :lol: I thought Flip's line was far and away the Wings' or either teams' worst last night. They didn't generate any offense and in fact spent much of their time pinned in their D zone. On the PP Flip and Huds were also a mess. I was begging for Mike to double-shift Pavel's unit on the OT PP.

Yup...They appear to be more hungry than the Wings, and the bounces are going their way.

Wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if we see the Sharks in the Finals; they're just a really good team that is well coached.

Sharks were my pick to win the cup from the beginning, but Vancouver now looks like it has all the pieces. I think in a SJ/Van series Vancouver will win.

At least, shy of of SJ continuing to get all the breaks, which they are. Whiffing on shots and them going in? lol

Yeah, that's a toughie.

Howard can't assume the puck is coming at 10 mph. He also shouldn't be assuming that it's coming at 100 mph. And what if Setoguchi doesn't even shoot? Howard wouldn't have been able to get back across the crease if Setoguchi passes back across the ice; it's an open net shot. All Howard had to do was plant his damn skate; he can cover the part of his pad that comes off the ice with the stick that is otherwise in front of his body serving him no purpose. And voila! He stops the shot.

Knowing not to fling yourself out of your crease is basic goaltending. While he has been impressive for most of the playoff run, he has steadily declined as the pressure increased. Goalies like Hasek and Osgood played their best in high pressure situations.

As for Boyle's goal; my main complaint about Howard on that play is that he dropped to the ice when Wellwood sent the puck across to Boyle, and basically crab-walked over to try and square up to Boyle. Furthering that, Howard dove forward when trying to make the save, offering up more open net. When he swiped his glove at the puck, the entire top half of the net was available. Howard didn't try to "block" the shot, he tried to "grab" the shot. He didn't try to put his body in front of it, or simply get his glove in the path; he swiped at it. Take away one of those decisions, Howard probably stops that puck. Take away all three, and Howard definitely stops it.

Hudler is the popular scapegoat around here, I won't deny that. And his first 30 games of the regular season were not spectacular by any stretch. But the fact remains that since Christmas, even if you remove the time Hudler played with Datsyuk, Hudler has outperformed Franzen. And if you look at the stretch Hudler played with Dats, it's hard to argue who has better chemistry WITH Datsyuk. Hudler has outperformed Franzen in the playoffs, and everyone was giving Franzen plenty of leeway in the regular season because "he'll be great in the playoffs." Well he's not. Hudler's been on of the team's top forwards. Babcock has said so. Ken and Mickey have said so. You have always hated him because he's small and European. Good for you. As for Filppula... wasn't it just a few months ago I was classified as a "Filppula hater" by this forum? I lose track of these things, outside of those like yourself who simply can't acknowledge positives about a player.

I agree with alot of what you said here. It's not like Howard is the only goalie to overplay a puck. BUT he did get a piece of Boyles shot and IF The Gooch had got everything on that puck, it would've hit Howard.

I do agree with you on the point about Hudler and Franzen. Hudler did play good (:puke: , sorry, when I said that it turned my stomach) after December, Franzen played good before December and for one game in Ottawa. Right now neither are good. They aren't a threat and all the Sharks have to worry about is shutting down Datsyuk/Zetterberg and controlling Helm and they win. I'd actually trade Franzen before Hudler ONLY because he would bring a higher draft pick. Package them both for a PURE sniper and I am making the deal.

I do hear you and agree with all your points, but I just had to say it's not like Howard is the blame for the team being down 0-3... Enjoy!

Detroit needs to invent a cloning machine. Clone Datsyuk and Zetterberg five times each and clone Lidstrom five times as well then sign some amazing goalie.

Then our line up could be

Dats - Z - Dats

Z - Dats - Z

Dats - Dats - Dats

Z - Z - Z

Nick - Nick

Nick - Nick

Nick - Nick

LOL :thumbup:

I'm so pleased to see octopuses still flying to the ice of the Joe! Keep the tradition alive. Bettman sucks!

I think this is a great tradition, and aslong as the team is ok with the 2 min penalty assessed also, should continue for every game.

Guest Grayne Wetzky

LOL :thumbup:

HOWE-YZERMAN-HOWE

SHANAHAN-HOWE-FEDOROV

DATSYUK-FEDOROV-YZERMAN

ZETTERBERG-ZETTERBERG-HOWE

HOWE-YZERMAN

LIDSTROM-KELLY

LIDSTROM-KONSTANTINOV

LIDSTROM-LIDSTROM

LIDSTROM

JOSEPH

JOSEPH (ha ha ha - yah right - SAWCHUK, SAWCHUK for reals!)

It's not as prevalent as it used to be. Honestly, this playoff run just hasn't felt like the typical Red Wings playoff experience. I don't know if it was the feed or what, but the crowd wasn't into the game all that much last night, and on top, per usual, the lower bowl was only 50% full.

The wife and I went down there last night and the crowd was wild. It`s probably the feed you get from tv. There were at least 6 or 7 thrown after the anthem and there was one or two thrown later in the game at some point during a commercial break near the San Jose bench. The place went nuts every time one hit the ice. I also took notice about the noise level. When you watch it on tv, you usually don`t hear how it actually sounds at the game. It was loud as hell many times. The crowd would also go nuts when they were showing past fights up on the overhead, esp the one with Roy. There were many chants and of course the place went ear splitting when Heatley or whoever got Kronwalled. Yeah, the place was rocking.

As for the lower bowl, the place was packed but at the intermissions, the bathroom lines were long as hell, and I really mean long as hell, that I said f*** it at the first period and tried again later. I can`t imagine the end half even getting to their seats by end of the next period. I checked again after period two and well, lets say just I decided to hold it and actually made it to home lol. You would see a bunch of people return down the lower bowl about half way through a period I noticed. The bathrooms at the Joe are a joke. I didn`t count, but when I did go before the game started (went in when the doors opened at 6:30) I think there are about 6 stalls/urinals in them? For that size crowd thats beyond ridiculous. Plan ahead if you are going Friday night...

*Edit* There are the port-a-johns outside the Joe too but not sure they would let you out the doors for them. Even if they did, you`d still have lines going across the river to Windsor...:P

Edited by Tman77

There comes a time with every team where you have gone as far as you can go without making some changes. After watching the Sharks handily win (albeit in close games just as this year) I think we're at that point. As Red Wing fans we are blessed to have the best front office for evaluating talent and knowing what kind of players need to come and go. No doubt there will be changes and even a rise in the salary cap which could help plug a couple holes.

I'll be happy to discuss who might need to come and go after my beloved Red Wings are actually eliminated though. Until then, damn the torpedos and full speed ahead with THIS crew!

There's no excuse, the Sharks are simply finding a way to win end of story

It's not like the Sharks are coming out and dominating the Wings when they win (much like the Wings did against them in game 4 last year). Instead every Shark win has been a 1 goal game, which we all know could possibly have gone the other way. What the sharks are doing are the little things that can change the outcome; like embellishing a penalty, diving, frustrating the other team (spraying ice repeatedly on howard).

IMHO, thats how the sharks won last years series and its how they pulled away with a 3-0 lead this year. They came into this series KNOWING what to do and how to take a small advantage that would make all the difference. It worked for them befor, rinse and repeat.

Edited by SpIkE

One has to believe that this streak of loosing one goal games to the Sharks is going to turn in our favor at some point. Whether that's the next game or next year or some other time in the future I don't know. But these things have a way of evening out.

Look at our run over the past 20 years. In the early 90's we couldn't find a way to win in the playoffs and Colorado got the better of us a couple years in a row. Then the tables turned and we we got the better of them.

Look at the 2008 and 2009 Stanley Cup finals. One year we get the better of Pittsburg, the next they get the better of us.

This is just how hockey works. All we can really hope for and believe in is that starting in game 4, the Wings start to find ways to win by the slimist of margins instead of being on the other side.

And if the Sharks win this thing, we tip our hats to them and put faith in our future.

But winning 4 in a row is not impossible (especially when the games are so close). We've already done it once this post season, lets just believe our boys can do it again.

GO WINGS!!!

Honestly, I don't have the wherewithal to "believe." I believed all first games this series and it's just been a repeated slap in the face of the Red Wings. So far they've lost to the refs, to San Jose dominance, and then to unlucky bounces. If they haven't gotten a lucky bounce yet, I highly doubt they're going to get all of the lucky bounces from here on out.

But hey, I guess if Chicago could go to seven games after being down 3-0, the Wings could.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'll be there til the very, bitter end, cheering them on. I'm no fairweather fan.

Tough to take, but the slimmest of margins between winning and losing is just the way it goes in the NHL. I don't see a complete overhaul happening, but definitely need a couple of big difference makers like the Sharks currently have.