Photo
- - - - -

WCSF Game 3 GDT: Sharks 4 at Red Wings 3 (OT)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1028 replies to this topic

#1001 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

Anyone else notice Hudler and flipula couldent even handle the puck the last two games? I swear almost everytime either got the puck they were tripping over their feet and almost turning it over? I thought Flipula looked great in some coyote games even though he dident get the goals he looked good to me.

#1002 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Detroit has a lot of great true fans of the team. I just tire of the bandwagon fans whining, bitching, calling out to fire coaches, management, and players. Stand behind your team for a change. Be respectful in losing and winning. It really is that simple.

Posted Image

#1003 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

I couldn't see the game so did anyone throw an octopus before the game? Was the crowd rocking?
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#1004 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

Its been done twice in the past year. The Sharks coming back from a 4-0 deficit to beat the Kings was unlikely. The Wings sweeping the Coyotes without Zetterberg was unlikely. The Bolts sweeping the Caps was unlikely. The Wings going down 3-0 to the Sharks again was unlikely. There has been a lot of "unlikely" things happening in this playoff season. What's one more?

Yeah, that's a toughie.

You never cease to amaze me...

In your eyes, Hudler never looks bad. Face it, he stinks, and I am so glad everyday more and more people are seeing it. Hopefully Holland see's it now. Trade him for whatever you can get...

Howards poor positioning? I am far from a huge Howard fan, but on the goal you speak of, if Setaguchi gets all of the puck Howard makes the save. As a goalie you can't assume the puck is going to come at you at 10 MPH, it's like a batter waiting for a fastball and then swinging way to early on a change up and looking like he is swatting at flies. When you are expecting 100 MPH and get 10 MPH, you kinda look silly, but Howard played that play perfectly from a technical standpoint.

On Boyles goal, unless that puck hits Howard, there was no way he was going to stop it. Unless it hits them, NO goalie can stop a wrister above their glove. You can research every goalie ever to play the game and they have ALL given up goals top shelf above the glove. Either it hits them or its in... Besides, Howard DID get a piece of it, so it did hit him but just not enough...

Your crush on Hudler and Filppula disturbs us, maybe Holland should trade them to you? I am 99% sure they will both be on the roster next season, and that is way too unfortunate because they are a waster of nearly $6M in cap.

Howard can't assume the puck is coming at 10 mph. He also shouldn't be assuming that it's coming at 100 mph. And what if Setoguchi doesn't even shoot? Howard wouldn't have been able to get back across the crease if Setoguchi passes back across the ice; it's an open net shot. All Howard had to do was plant his damn skate; he can cover the part of his pad that comes off the ice with the stick that is otherwise in front of his body serving him no purpose. And voila! He stops the shot.

Knowing not to fling yourself out of your crease is basic goaltending. While he has been impressive for most of the playoff run, he has steadily declined as the pressure increased. Goalies like Hasek and Osgood played their best in high pressure situations.

As for Boyle's goal; my main complaint about Howard on that play is that he dropped to the ice when Wellwood sent the puck across to Boyle, and basically crab-walked over to try and square up to Boyle. Furthering that, Howard dove forward when trying to make the save, offering up more open net. When he swiped his glove at the puck, the entire top half of the net was available. Howard didn't try to "block" the shot, he tried to "grab" the shot. He didn't try to put his body in front of it, or simply get his glove in the path; he swiped at it. Take away one of those decisions, Howard probably stops that puck. Take away all three, and Howard definitely stops it.

Hudler is the popular scapegoat around here, I won't deny that. And his first 30 games of the regular season were not spectacular by any stretch. But the fact remains that since Christmas, even if you remove the time Hudler played with Datsyuk, Hudler has outperformed Franzen. And if you look at the stretch Hudler played with Dats, it's hard to argue who has better chemistry WITH Datsyuk. Hudler has outperformed Franzen in the playoffs, and everyone was giving Franzen plenty of leeway in the regular season because "he'll be great in the playoffs." Well he's not. Hudler's been on of the team's top forwards. Babcock has said so. Ken and Mickey have said so. You have always hated him because he's small and European. Good for you. As for Filppula... wasn't it just a few months ago I was classified as a "Filppula hater" by this forum? I lose track of these things, outside of those like yourself who simply can't acknowledge positives about a player.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#1005 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

I couldn't see the game so did anyone throw an octopus before the game? Was the crowd rocking?

There was at least one after the national anthem. Not sure about any others.

#1006 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

Final score and recap now in OP.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1007 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

There were a couple. One had some red, white and blue ribbons tied to it and then I saw at least one more. They were all after the national anthem.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#1008 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

There was at least one after the national anthem. Not sure about any others.

there was a huge one thrown after the 2-1 goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhtUGmclww

#1009 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

I'm so pleased to see octopuses still flying to the ice of the Joe! Keep the tradition alive. Bettman sucks!
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#1010 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

I'm so pleased to see octopuses still flying to the ice of the Joe! Keep the tradition alive. Bettman sucks!

It's not as prevalent as it used to be. Honestly, this playoff run just hasn't felt like the typical Red Wings playoff experience. I don't know if it was the feed or what, but the crowd wasn't into the game all that much last night, and on top, per usual, the lower bowl was only 50% full.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1011 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

I thought Filppula and Hudler both had strong games last night.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#1012 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

I thought Filppula and Hudler both had strong games last night.

Isn't it amazing how two people can watch the same event and come to opposite conclusions? :lol: I thought Flip's line was far and away the Wings' or either teams' worst last night. They didn't generate any offense and in fact spent much of their time pinned in their D zone. On the PP Flip and Huds were also a mess. I was begging for Mike to double-shift Pavel's unit on the OT PP.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#1013 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

Yup...They appear to be more hungry than the Wings, and the bounces are going their way.

Wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if we see the Sharks in the Finals; they're just a really good team that is well coached.

Sharks were my pick to win the cup from the beginning, but Vancouver now looks like it has all the pieces. I think in a SJ/Van series Vancouver will win.

At least, shy of of SJ continuing to get all the breaks, which they are. Whiffing on shots and them going in? lol
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#1014 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, that's a toughie.

Howard can't assume the puck is coming at 10 mph. He also shouldn't be assuming that it's coming at 100 mph. And what if Setoguchi doesn't even shoot? Howard wouldn't have been able to get back across the crease if Setoguchi passes back across the ice; it's an open net shot. All Howard had to do was plant his damn skate; he can cover the part of his pad that comes off the ice with the stick that is otherwise in front of his body serving him no purpose. And voila! He stops the shot.

Knowing not to fling yourself out of your crease is basic goaltending. While he has been impressive for most of the playoff run, he has steadily declined as the pressure increased. Goalies like Hasek and Osgood played their best in high pressure situations.

As for Boyle's goal; my main complaint about Howard on that play is that he dropped to the ice when Wellwood sent the puck across to Boyle, and basically crab-walked over to try and square up to Boyle. Furthering that, Howard dove forward when trying to make the save, offering up more open net. When he swiped his glove at the puck, the entire top half of the net was available. Howard didn't try to "block" the shot, he tried to "grab" the shot. He didn't try to put his body in front of it, or simply get his glove in the path; he swiped at it. Take away one of those decisions, Howard probably stops that puck. Take away all three, and Howard definitely stops it.

Hudler is the popular scapegoat around here, I won't deny that. And his first 30 games of the regular season were not spectacular by any stretch. But the fact remains that since Christmas, even if you remove the time Hudler played with Datsyuk, Hudler has outperformed Franzen. And if you look at the stretch Hudler played with Dats, it's hard to argue who has better chemistry WITH Datsyuk. Hudler has outperformed Franzen in the playoffs, and everyone was giving Franzen plenty of leeway in the regular season because "he'll be great in the playoffs." Well he's not. Hudler's been on of the team's top forwards. Babcock has said so. Ken and Mickey have said so. You have always hated him because he's small and European. Good for you. As for Filppula... wasn't it just a few months ago I was classified as a "Filppula hater" by this forum? I lose track of these things, outside of those like yourself who simply can't acknowledge positives about a player.

I agree with alot of what you said here. It's not like Howard is the only goalie to overplay a puck. BUT he did get a piece of Boyles shot and IF The Gooch had got everything on that puck, it would've hit Howard.

I do agree with you on the point about Hudler and Franzen. Hudler did play good (:puke: , sorry, when I said that it turned my stomach) after December, Franzen played good before December and for one game in Ottawa. Right now neither are good. They aren't a threat and all the Sharks have to worry about is shutting down Datsyuk/Zetterberg and controlling Helm and they win. I'd actually trade Franzen before Hudler ONLY because he would bring a higher draft pick. Package them both for a PURE sniper and I am making the deal.

I do hear you and agree with all your points, but I just had to say it's not like Howard is the blame for the team being down 0-3... Enjoy!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#1015 sharomyga

sharomyga

He delivers

• Silver Booster
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

Detroit needs to invent a cloning machine. Clone Datsyuk and Zetterberg five times each and clone Lidstrom five times as well then sign some amazing goalie.

Then our line up could be
Dats - Z - Dats
Z - Dats - Z
Dats - Dats - Dats
Z - Z - Z

Nick - Nick
Nick - Nick
Nick - Nick

LOL :thumbup:
"Pavel, you wear the 'A' on your jersey as a team leader. What does that mean to you?"
"A lot. So much that I put an 'A' on all my clothes. I wear an 'A' everywhere."
П. Дацюк
"I don't have percentage, alcohol has percentage"
П. Дацюк
-----------
Posted Image
-----------
My website

#1016 El_Brian

El_Brian

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

I think this is a great tradition, and aslong as the team is ok with the 2 min penalty assessed also, should continue for every game.

#1017 Grayne Wetzky

Grayne Wetzky

Rookie

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

LOL :thumbup:

HOWE-YZERMAN-HOWE
SHANAHAN-HOWE-FEDOROV
DATSYUK-FEDOROV-YZERMAN
ZETTERBERG-ZETTERBERG-HOWE

HOWE-YZERMAN

LIDSTROM-KELLY
LIDSTROM-KONSTANTINOV
LIDSTROM-LIDSTROM

LIDSTROM
JOSEPH
JOSEPH (ha ha ha - yah right - SAWCHUK, SAWCHUK for reals!)

#1018 Tman77

Tman77

Go Wings!

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

It's not as prevalent as it used to be. Honestly, this playoff run just hasn't felt like the typical Red Wings playoff experience. I don't know if it was the feed or what, but the crowd wasn't into the game all that much last night, and on top, per usual, the lower bowl was only 50% full.

The wife and I went down there last night and the crowd was wild. It`s probably the feed you get from tv. There were at least 6 or 7 thrown after the anthem and there was one or two thrown later in the game at some point during a commercial break near the San Jose bench. The place went nuts every time one hit the ice. I also took notice about the noise level. When you watch it on tv, you usually don`t hear how it actually sounds at the game. It was loud as hell many times. The crowd would also go nuts when they were showing past fights up on the overhead, esp the one with Roy. There were many chants and of course the place went ear splitting when Heatley or whoever got Kronwalled. Yeah, the place was rocking.

As for the lower bowl, the place was packed but at the intermissions, the bathroom lines were long as hell, and I really mean long as hell, that I said f*** it at the first period and tried again later. I can`t imagine the end half even getting to their seats by end of the next period. I checked again after period two and well, lets say just I decided to hold it and actually made it to home lol. You would see a bunch of people return down the lower bowl about half way through a period I noticed. The bathrooms at the Joe are a joke. I didn`t count, but when I did go before the game started (went in when the doors opened at 6:30) I think there are about 6 stalls/urinals in them? For that size crowd thats beyond ridiculous. Plan ahead if you are going Friday night...

*Edit* There are the port-a-johns outside the Joe too but not sure they would let you out the doors for them. Even if they did, you`d still have lines going across the river to Windsor...:P

Edited by Tman77, 05 May 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#1019 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

There's no excuse, the Sharks are simply finding a way to win end of story
IPB Image

#1020 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

There comes a time with every team where you have gone as far as you can go without making some changes. After watching the Sharks handily win (albeit in close games just as this year) I think we're at that point. As Red Wing fans we are blessed to have the best front office for evaluating talent and knowing what kind of players need to come and go. No doubt there will be changes and even a rise in the salary cap which could help plug a couple holes.

I'll be happy to discuss who might need to come and go after my beloved Red Wings are actually eliminated though. Until then, damn the torpedos and full speed ahead with THIS crew!

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg