• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pat

Can The Wings Win This Series?

Rate this topic

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think all the Negative Nancys, Debbie Downers, and Buzz Killington's should be banned. I'm sure it makes the Wings feel great their 'fans' don't even think they can pull it off. You should all go find a team that really doesn't care about your support, really. If you didn't believe on Thursday, do you now? Oh, so you're a fair-weather fan. Blah!

I logged on after the game last night just to see everyone's expression and saw this random "bandwagon" trend going on randomly at LGW now, and seriously it needs to stop. I'm not saying you're the problem but you're certainly not the solution by continuing to "rub" this fact into fans faces last night and still today. At the end of the day, i'm pretty sure we're all fans of the game and no one needs to be declared a bigger fan than the other.

The one night a year I let my mom gab into my ear for as long as she wants and it's during that comeback. :/

Can't say enough about Datsyuk and Lidstrom and the guts of the Wings in general. Hoping to be eating some major crow soon because I thought this series would be long over by now. I don't really see the point in dressing Franzen unless he heals up big time. Modano may not bring the same skill set that Franzen has but at least his skills are running at a higher percentage... I assume.

Oh... and the Thornton dive was spectacular. Another so-called 'leader' that is just another mush-ball.

Guest stinky fish taco

appreciate the effort, but i still think the sharks take this series. they matchup too well against detroit to lose 4 straight.

I thought of this as the clock wound down last night: The Wings know they can win a Stanley Cup, the Sharks think they can. That differential could be played out in the next 72 hours or so.

freep

Read this. Then read it again and again.... Echoes considerably right now.

I logged on after the game last night just to see everyone's expression and saw this random "bandwagon" trend going on randomly at LGW now, and seriously it needs to stop. I'm not saying you're the problem but you're certainly not the solution by continuing to "rub" this fact into fans faces last night and still today. At the end of the day, i'm pretty sure we're all fans of the game and no one needs to be declared a bigger fan than the other.

I didn't post anything yesterday. Anyways...my opinion on the matter is we give other fan bases so much s*** for being bandwagon fans when there is clearly enough of it going on amongst Wings 'fans' too. I said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't stand behind your team at their greatest moment of need, you don't deserve to stand behind them at all; especially when they're winning. All glory and no guts.

When the odds are stacked against them, I think people start throwing in the towel b/c they don't want to be wrong, possibly to save face if the unmentionable were to happen. Trust me, I understand the feeling, but I don't care. If the Wings are golfing next week I still believe they can win the cup this year. That's how much I believe in the Wings.

I didn't post anything yesterday. Anyways...my opinion on the matter is we give other fan bases so much s*** for being bandwagon fans when there is clearly enough of it going on amongst Wings 'fans' too. I said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't stand behind your team at their greatest moment of need, you don't deserve to stand behind them at all; especially when they're winning. All glory and no guts.

When the odds are stacked against them, I think people start throwing in the towel b/c they don't want to be wrong, possibly to save face if the unmentionable were to happen. Trust me, I understand the feeling, but I don't care. If the Wings are golfing next week I still believe they can win the cup this year. That's how much I believe in the Wings.

Couldn't agree with you anymore, trust me, i'm a die hard and am just as emotional as the next guy when it comes to my favorite sport and team. I eat, breathe, and sleep hockey and Red Wings and have for the past 18 years i've watched them. I just saw a lot of things yesterday that I thought shouldn't have been said with all the rubbing in each other's faces when we're all fans of the same thing. Wasn't trying to get on anyone's case, just don't like to see the stuff inner-fanbase.

Agreed. I hate the animosity amongst the fan base. It may be kind of a with-me-or-against-me mentality, but when I see people saying, "They're done." I just don't feel like they're on 'our' side. We should stand united, through thick and thin, and always back the Red and White.

I understand those who address specific deficiencies such as our defense needing to tighten up, or our offense needing to score more. I'm cool with that.

I understand those who have looked at both teams and decided that the Sharks are better, so they won't be as disappointed if we lose than if we had lost to Phoenix or a lesser team like that. I'm cool with that.

I sort of understand those who see that we're down to elimination games and who throw in the towel early. They're probably young and have never learned that life requires you to grind through to the very end. This is, after all, the immediate gratification generation. It's annoying, but they'll grow up.

What I can't understand is those who have given up and insist on wearing their lack of faith as some sort of badge of intelligence. I don't understand those who belittle the faithful for sticking with a team that is still in the race. I don't understand those who look at the series and say, "Well, we're behind. Time to give up." and then proceed to ridicule those who don't follow their defeatist attitude.

They can suck my hockey stick. I still believe.

Agreed. I hate the animosity amongst the fan base. It may be kind of a with-me-or-against-me mentality, but when I see people saying, "They're done." I just don't feel like they're on 'our' side. We should stand united, through thick and thin, and always back the Red and White.

Then you're an irrational idiot. It's perfectly justifiable to say "they're done" after being down 3-0 in the series. There's a 1.8% chance to come back when down 3-0 in a series, enough that you'd get quite a lot of money if you bet on those odds in Vegas and won.

Edit: it's not giving up, it's a statement of belief. Do I want the Wings to come back? Of course I do. I still watch as much of every game as work will allow me to. Do I think they will? No; I strongly believe in statistics and probability in these cases. Could they pull it off? There's a slim chance that they could, and that's why I still watch.

Edited by Theophany

If they can pull this off it would be the most historic comeback in professional sports history.

I would like to see the crowd be a huge factor for the wings as it was in the phoenix series.

The wings must capitalize on their chances early in the game to put the sharks in a bit of disbelief.

They must play there best game of the series tomorrow and it must be a 60 minute effort.

With all of this said, I think the wings will win game 6 and potentially the series.

BELIEVE

Then you're an irrational idiot. It's perfectly justifiable to say "they're done" after being down 3-0 in the series. There's a 1.8% chance to come back when down 3-0 in a series, enough that you'd get quite a lot of money if you bet on those odds in Vegas and won.

Edit: it's not giving up, it's a statement of belief. Do I want the Wings to come back? Of course I do. I still watch as much of every game as work will allow me to. Do I think they will? No; I strongly believe in statistics and probability in these cases. Could they pull it off? There's a slim chance that they could, and that's why I still watch.

Yep. There's (bolded) the rational, logical, scientific, statistic based belief system at it's finest. Chance isn't a factor. Nor is momentum and swelling pride in the Wings locker room. Only stats are real. Yep. 1.8% can't be argued with.

Some of us turn our beliefs toward faith, which doesn't always walk hand in hand with rational, logical, stats kind of folks. So, in truth, you are right. Faith usually tends to be "irrational". Good on you for naming that idiocy.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

I am excited that the Wings have an opportunity to force a game 7, and I feel good about their chances.

What im trying to figure out is, if they were to win this series, how big is that in the big picture?

How close is a 0-3 come back to a championship? I know its not a championship, but its special.

If they were to pull this off it would be one of my all time proudest moments as not only a wings fan but a pro sports fan.

There is still a bottle of unused champagne in my frig from the 2009 stanley cup finals, I have decided that if they come back and win this series, I will uncork it and spray it all over my ******* living room. I only do that for championships, and while this still would not be the same as winning it all, it will come close.

Hypothetically speaking, if they were to come back, would I then be an irrational genius?

What I can't understand is those who have given up and insist on wearing their lack of faith as some sort of badge of intelligence. I don't understand those who belittle the faithful for sticking with a team that is still in the race. I don't understand those who look at the series and say, "Well, we're behind. Time to give up." and then proceed to ridicule those who don't follow their defeatist attitude.

They can suck my hockey stick. I still believe.

It's the nature of the internets and people. They love to give up if a team plays badly or put things down for little to no reason.

But yeah, I still believe too. I look at it like this, they screwed up Games 1-3. They won Game 4, great. They won Game 5. Great. 2 away now.

It's within reach. Historically unlikely? Sure. Is it impossible? That's what Philadelphia fans said at first vs Boston too. That's what Chicago fans said last round when they went down 0-3 vs Vancouver (and then the Canucks really almost did become this year's Boston!!! lollolol) before the Blackhawks stormed back for 3 wins.

We shouldn't have made the mistakes we made in the first 3 games (like forgetting, you know, to PLAY =p), but let's see what comes.

Edited by Flip-check

Yep. There's (bolded) the rational, logical, scientific, statistic based belief system at it's finest. Chance isn't a factor. Nor is momentum and swelling pride in the Wings locker room. Only stats are real. Yep. 1.8% can't be argued with.

Some of us turn our beliefs toward faith, which doesn't always walk hand in hand with rational, logical, stats kind of folks. So, in truth, you are right. Faith usually tends to be "irrational". Good on you for naming that idiocy.

I stated in my post that chance was a factor. Anyone that knows anything about statistics and probability knows that chance is the defining reason that we even have probability in the first place.

I could go into an entire rant about how faith has held science back for thousands of years, but it's not germane to this thread.

The long and short of it is that 1.8% can't be argued with, because it's a fact. Facts are true whether you want to believe them or not, that's why they're called "facts". The beauty of sports is that there is chance and there is momentum involved in them, but there is also damn near 100 years of history involved in hockey, and in all of that time, three teams have come back from being down 0-3 to win the series. That's not to say it can't happen, because it has (1.8% of the time).

Rational people choose to believe in probability and chance rather than choosing blind faith. Even with a dour outlook on the series, most are going to be watching tonight anyway, for that 1.8% chance that it will happen.

I could go into an entire rant about how faith has held science back for thousands of years, but it's not germane to this thread.

The long and short of it is that 1.8% can't be argued with, because it's a fact. Facts are true whether you want to believe them or not, that's why they're called "facts". The beauty of sports is that there is chance and there is momentum involved in them, but there is also damn near 100 years of history involved in hockey, and in all of that time, three teams have come back from being down 0-3 to win the series. That's not to say it can't happen, because it has (1.8% of the time).

Rational people choose to believe in probability and chance rather than choosing blind faith. Even with a dour outlook on the series, most are going to be watching tonight anyway, for that 1.8% chance that it will happen.

I believe science can be a useful tool when looking around the universe. Lots of wondrous and amazing things to see and learn. But faith takes that and adds the anticipation of the unknown, filled with excitement and hope. Did you ever twirl around in circles when you were a kid....until you fell down? Knowing you'd get dizzy and fall down again, did you spin as soon as you could stand up straight? Fun, right? That's what faith does for science...it puts it on a Frisbee and sails it into hope.

btw....my point, really, was I don't get why someone with a different opinion than yours is an idiot......

I stated in my post that chance was a factor. Anyone that knows anything about statistics and probability knows that chance is the defining reason that we even have probability in the first place.

i strongly urge you to stop using logic and reason to argue with the general population. it's not worth your time.

Nicely stated. You are just simply playing the odds, and (at least when it was 0-3) the odds are slim/none. I have little doubt that the people who are simply being realisitc and nothing more/less want and hope the Wings can rally, and would've still watched game 4.

What I hate are self-righteous people who think you are turning your back on the team simply because you are stating and thinking the obvious, and taking that as a form of being negative.

Conversely, I hate the negative dimwats who basically claim defeat before we even start just to get a rise out of people.

Basically, I hate both groups because both feel they have to beat their chests saying how either great they are as fans or because I was right all along and you are stupid for not believing me.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Nicely stated. You are just simply playing the odds, and (at least when it was 0-3) the odds are slim/none. I have little doubt that the people who are simply being realisitc and nothing more/less want and hope the Wings can rally, and would've still watched game 4.

What I hate are self-righteous people who think you are turning your back on the team simply because you are stating and thinking the obvious, and taking that as a form of being negative.

Conversely, I hate the negative dimwats who basically claim defeat before we even start just to get a rise out of people.

Basically, I hate both groups because both feel they have to beat their chests saying how either great they are as fans or because I was right all along and you are stupid for not believing me.

Exactly right, and probably more clearly stated than I could in my post. I understand the "I'll believe in my team until the final seconds of our fourth loss" but what I don't understand is looking down on someone who still supports the team and still watches but has realistic expectations based on the probability of winning.

Just support them. No less....

I will always support the Wings, but I react poorly when people tell me I'm less of a fan just because I know the probability of pulling one out and hold no illusions about the caliber of this team. Were this the '02 or '08 DRW, I would be in the faith group with the rest of you, but as this is the '11 DRW, I don't hold the same faith because the odds and how the team has played throughout the season proves that everyone should be doubting them right now.

The onus is on our boys to prove that they're in that select group that can pull out a series win when down 0-3.

I believe science can be a useful tool when looking around the universe. Lots of wondrous and amazing things to see and learn. But faith takes that and adds the anticipation of the unknown, filled with excitement and hope. Did you ever twirl around in circles when you were a kid....until you fell down? Knowing you'd get dizzy and fall down again, did you spin as soon as you could stand up straight? Fun, right? That's what faith does for science...it puts it on a Frisbee and sails it into hope.

btw....my point, really, was I don't get why someone with a different opinion than yours is an idiot......

My point, had you bothered to read the post that I was replying to, was that the poster said that, "but when I see people saying, "They're done." I just don't feel like they're on 'our' side." he was being an irrational idiot.

I don't fault those that have faith; were the circumstances different (as noted above, were the team better and more consistent in the regular season, etc) I would be in that "they're gonna pull it out" camp. But the facts are as they are, and the Wings may win two or three games, but I don't believe they can win a fourth based on the facts.

Edited by Theophany

My point, had you bothered to read the post that I was replying to, was that the poster said that, "but when I see people saying, "They're done." I just don't feel like they're on 'our' side." he was being an irrational idiot.

I ignored it the first time you called me an idiot, now you spout off and do it again. Well, you know what...f*** you. I explained what I thought and apparently I'm irrational for believing the Wings can pull off something that is against the odds. How exactly is that irrational? Please explain this Mr. Rationality.....

I ignored it the first time you called me an idiot, now you spout off and do it again. Well, you know what...f*** you. I explained what I thought and apparently I'm irrational for believing the Wings can pull off something that is against the odds. How exactly is that irrational? Please explain this Mr. Rationality.....

I don't know how to explain it more explicitly: you think that anyone saying the Wings are done aren't fans. That's ignoring the facts, ignorant, asinine, etc.

Technically, I said:

It may be kind of a with-me-or-against-me mentality, but when I see people saying, "They're done." I just don't feel like they're on 'our' side. We should stand united, through thick and thin, and always back the Red and White.

I said I don't feel like they're on our side.

It's one thing to state your opinion that you don't think they're gonna do it. It's another to say they can't do it. The latter doesn't speak much of a fan. If you can consider that being a fan, it's a fair-weather fan at best. Because after all, fans support their team no matter what, right? What do we call people who only like their team when they are winning? Oh ya.

I realize the odds have been against the Wings, they had to win four in a row, which has only been done 3 times, ever. I witnessed one of those times, what were the odds in seeing that? They've now won two in a row. They now have to win two in a row. Do you know what they just did? Won two in a row. There is enough negativity around here as it is, we don't need Wings fans coming to Wings forums to be negative. That my friend, is asinine.

Re: who is a fan and who is not.....seriously? The Wings are on the verge of an epic comeback, one I myself didn't think it was possible for them to make, and instead we're pissing in the wind about what constitutes a fan and what doesn't?

Ooooooooooookay.

Now, back on topic. When we went down 3-0 and were generally playing like sacks of crap, I didn't think it was possible for them to be on the verge of forcing a 7th game. I'm beyond ecstatic that they've done what they've done, especially since it looked like they wouldn't have the chance to do it. I always enjoy when the Red Wings prove me wrong.

Edited by Electrophile